to donate fast.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 AM

Default 2015 Review

Happy 2016!!!!!

2015 Review from RV Central

186.2 hours logged in all airplanes.

Flying Trips!

Sun N Fun and Key West in RV8 Borrowed Horse

Flew the Skywagon 'Paul Revere' to Spearfish, SD, Winifred, Montana, Kalaspell, Montana. Drove into Canada. Johnson Creek, Idaho, Salt Lake City, Utah, visited Park City.

Oshkosh in The RV8 'Borrowed Horse' ... After OSH, we flew to visit friends in Indiana, and Maine, drove into Canada, Prince Edward Island, camping along the Main and Canada coast. Then Flew to Watertown, NY and stayed a week with friends in a cabin on the St Lawrence River. On our way home we stopped and visited more friends in Missouri. Saw a bunch of springs and parks

Flew the Exp Super Cub 'Shooter' to The Big Bend area in Texas, with 19 other planes including 8 RVs. We flew lots of Rivers and Canyons. Fun, fun!

In between these adventures we managed to visit Amelia's Landing Hotel a few times in Port Aransas, lots of flights to friends farms, for burger burns and shoot outs, target practice.

2015 was a good year for Carol and I. We celebrated the new year with our friends and neighbors at home base, Hicks Airfield T67.
I hope the new year brings lots of first flights to you builders, and continuing fun safe adventures to all that are flying their RVs.

We expect a first flight of a new RV8 tomorrow, January 2, 2016. Stay tuned
Happy New Year!!! From RV Central
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Last edited by Jaypratt : 01-02-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:46 PM

Jay

I probably flew a lot less miles than you in 214 hours in 2015. Back it off to 21 squared and you can rack up lots more hours on the same fuel. Happy New Year to you and Carol!

John Morgan
RV6A -SMILIN 1
Old 01-01-2016, 07:44 PM

I didn't get many hours or places as you Jay, but was able to get 52 hours in for the year.

Multiple places in Florida (Local eating flights)

Sun-n-fun - First Time for Smilingjack

Key west

New Orlean

Hilton Head

All in all a good year for me
Old 01-02-2016, 07:01 AM

That's a pretty full year, Jay!

When I looked back over 2015, I was a little surprised I didn't have a single overnight trip. I only managed day trips ...

Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 AM

Default Keep this going

Let's hear about more of your flights in 2015!!!!!
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM

A little over 100 hours last year, evenly split between business and personal.

My mom is in Pennsylvania. She's 81 now and doing great, but it's still a huge deal to get there from Alabama in four hours.

Took Patti to St Simon's for a few days last winter, and to Petit Jean again this fall, her first flying trip after some stroke recovery time. She continues to improve, and we are thankful for that.

The -8 has become a no-kidding power tool for chasing light commercial trucks across the Southeast. They're typically sold off-lease at auctions, for the most part strictly as-is, so hands-on inspection can be critical. I'm often up early, work a sale two states away, and back in the office that afternoon. It's the "personal business aircraft" promise I was selling for Piper back in the 80's, but the concept actually works in this case, given the RV's speed and total operating cost.

Here's a mission; jump in the -8 after lunch with my buddy Stan in the back seat. Fly to Chattanooga, jump in the courtesy car, run over to a auction site to inspect a box truck, buy it, then put Stan behind the wheel back to Montgomery. Return to the airplane, fly to Murfreesboro TN. Inspect a half dozen 15-passenger vans and a few other units of interest, then jump back in the airplane and zip home to South Alabama for dinner. Buy a few of the vans the next day via internet remote.

Here I'm working two lanes in Murfreesboro at the same time, from my office chair, with full knowledge of what I'm about to buy. What a world!

Last edited by DanH : 01-02-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Default It was a good year

Approx 180 hours in 2 airplanes.

Sold my RV7A to a great couple here in Michigan after 10 years and 1200 hours.

Purchased a flying RV10 late January, didn't really start to fly it until mid March. The weather in Michigan was awful. We put 120 hours on it in 9 months. 3 trips east to NY and PA visiting relatives. Spent an awesome week up in Canada visiting friends in Collingwood and North Bay. Flew my wife and 2 sons to FL for my parents 60 anniversary in June. Our local airport does a long distance fly out once a year, this September we all flew down to Gillespie, TX and stayed at the Hangar Hotel, from there we flew to a couple of great BBQ joints. Throw is a couple of flights to Mackinaw and Beaver Island with some friends. Bummed I missed Petit Jean this fall. Did I mention the 10 is an awesome cross country machine!

Also flew about 60 hours in my Just Highlander. They were all local, 100 miles or less. For short breakfast flights my wife would rather take the Highlander, low and slow with great visibility. I'm putting the skis on today, skis open up a lot of grass runways near me in the winter.

Wising everyone a safe and healthy 2016

Gary
Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 AM

Default 2015 - The Year in Review

In February 2015, I bought a RV-8 out of Arizona. (I got my license in 2014).

I struggled hard with the decision whether to build or buy. I spoke with Jay Pratt multiple times on the phone. He gave tons of really good free advise (keep it light). If he wasn't so busy building planes for others I probably would have become a customer.

I sincerely appreciate all the guidance I received from everyone on this site who gave me guidance on reaching a decision, Jay Pratt, Jim Thill, Vlad, Mike Starkey, Mike Seagar, and so many others.

A huge thanks to DR for this site and all those who contributed to the thread, "How to Land an RV-8". Whew!

Flying 2015:

1. Benson Arizona to Cameron Park California. Longest cross country to date.

2. Lincoln California to Independence Oregon (Fly-in). First time I ever descended through a broken/scattered cloud layer. Boy was it bumpy underneath.

3. Lots of local flights.

Goals: Many. Fly more. Mountain flying course, Sun N Fun, Air Venture, Idaho, upset recovery training, aerobatic training, IFR,...
Old 01-02-2016, 02:11 PM

~500 hours in the right seat of a regional jet
Not nearly enough in the Citabria or Cessna 170
One awesome trip to Oshkosh after a 4 year absence. Loved Dirks Bentley!
Bought tools and tail kit for an RV-8.........

Lots of hope and confidence that 2016 has hope and opportunity though.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 PM

Default Fun Flying!

Only 50+ hrs in the -6A, but probably about 50 more through Flight Reviews, Instrument Proficiencies, and ferrying. Also got in some hours doing Condition Inspections.

Every year of life is good --- some are just better than others!

Happy New Year!

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)