What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And the flooding begins

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
Last weekend's 8-10" of rain across most of Missouri is starting to take its toll on the general aviation airports. Smartt Field (SET) already had water over its runways yesterday and many airplanes flew over to Creve Coeur (1H0) but now Creve Coeur is slowely starting to flood. Just a few inches yesterday on the north east hangers but rising. Latest prediction is it will get to my hanger on the north west corner.
I am in the middle of condition inspection so RV is total disassembled. Thought it would be nice time to do a bit extra inspection during the holidays. Then came the rain and who would have thought of flooding at Christmas.
Prediction is I will have 1-3" of water in my hanger 3-5 days from now. Time to hustle the final items on the inspection list and get everything back together and off the floor.
I think it is going to be a long winter and spring fretting about flooding until August.

Last edited:
During hurricane/flood season in Galveston, Texas, we used to put each wheel in a couple of large plastic garbage bags just in case the waters rose. Good luck!

During hurricane/flood season in Galveston, Texas, we used to put each wheel in a couple of large plastic garbage bags just in case the waters rose. Good luck!

Already done. Never know how fast the water will rise so thought I would do what I can in case thing happen faster than expected.

A friend's -7 got trapped by rapidly rising water several years ago; he bought several cheap inflatable boats/rafts from a toy/sports dept & used them under wings & fuselage. The gear got wet, but the plane itself stayed dry. (Remember to guy the plane so it can't float into the walls or another plane...)

Just a thought,

Charlie
BTW, anyone who can fly out might want to check the hurricane list or the RV Hotel list on this site for temporary a/c lodging. I've got space near Jackson MS.

I got everything out of my hangar at KSETon Monday. Tuesday morning I flew my 7A to Spirit KSUS. Right now I guess I have about 2 feet of water in my hangar. Fun and games when the airport is in a flood plain :)

Rich

I got everything out of my hangar at KSETon Monday. Tuesday morning I flew my 7A to Spirit KSUS. Right now I guess I have about 2 feet of water in my hangar. Fun and games when the airport is in a flood plain :)

Rich

Hey Rich I'm glad you got out of KSET ahead to the water. Wish I had room in my hangar for your airplane.

Do you know if Jim Bower got his 6 A move?

Last weekend's 8-10" of rain across most of Missouri is starting to take its toll on the general aviation airports. Smartt Field (SET) already had water over its runways yesterday and many airplanes flew over to Creve Coeur (1H0) but now Creve Coeur is slowely starting to flood. Just a few inches yesterday on the north east hangers but rising. Latest prediction is it will get to my hanger on the north west corner.
I am in the middle of condition inspection so RV is total disassembled. Thought it would be nice time to do a bit extra inspection during the holidays. Then came the rain and who would have thought of flooding at Christmas.
Prediction is I will have 1-3" of water in my hanger 3-5 days from now. Time to hustle the final items on the inspection list and get everything back together and off the floor.
I think it is going to be a long winter and spring fretting about flooding until August.

We were at Creve Coeur this August and did the tour of the 3 hangers of Antiques. What a nice airport. Best of luck regarding the flooding, sorry to hear about it. Larry

Last edited:
Dave,
Yes, Jim moved his 6A to the EAA chapter 32 building, along with several others. Now I hear that people that moved to Creve Coeur may have to move again due to the lake rising with no where for the water to go because of the river levels.
Rich

I saw the pics on the news of some of the flooding in Missouri. Heartbreaking for all the people affected.

Roberta

I remember when KSUS flooded and the great restaurant near the river was about 6 feet under. I fly frequently into KHRO and KBBG and the flooding is usually bad any where around the rivers.

My heart goes out. To you folks who are having to juggle the mess.

My daughter lives in Elijay, Georgia and the town is under water about a 6 inches now.

Best to all you..

Happy New Year

Smilin' Jack

Back