What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Video

Nice Video. These planes are more fun than should be legal aren't they?

As a jarhead I love the paint scheme. What did you do in the Corps?

Pictures go pro mount

Thanks for the compliments!

I loved the TV series baa baa black sheep and still do :) thats why I decided to paint the -8 like this.

Here are pictures of the camera (go pro) mount. Its made of a square pice 2024-T3, one end is bend that stiffnes the whole thing. I drilled some holes in the vertical edge to attache safety wire between it and the camera as backup. (not needed but nice to have)
The go pro snap socket is attached to it with 3m doubleside tape and riveted at the 4 corners.
Then I drilled holes for mounting screws in different locations to attache it to different locations.
The bottom that faces the paint is covered with felting.

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

...the secret?

No doubt someone will comment on the turbulence, if not drag, of the sharp edge on your mounting plate.
...but I wonder, it might be just the thing to breakup the airflow over the camera, and reduce the drag of the camera body that might make to vibrate?
obviously it works, so good for you, and another creative mounting.
( I don't trust the plastic base by itself either!)

....it does beg the question; if the mount breaks, do you want the thing flapping at the end of a safety line, beating the krap out of your wingtip?.....or is it better if the $300 thing is just 'donated' to terra firma.
( with the hope that it doesn't hit anything important or fragile.) Now that the FAA decrees that mounting cams is permitted on any aircraft, there seems to be no 'requirement' to safety it?

(P.S. you HAVE to explain the 4 little circles inside your tip lens...that aren't the landing lite!)

Last edited:
Wow, a U.S.Marines RV-8, a Shelby, and an R/T. Not much not to like about this YouTube video. Thanks for sharing.

Back