- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Default I'm stuck already

I'm pretty embarrassed about this but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to drive these rivets. Nothing I have at my disposal can get into this tight location. I've driven at least 8 rivets into these three holes On my vertical stabilizer and each time I have to remove it. Now the holes are a little larger and I'm thinking I need a new inspar rib.

I have a 3x rivet gun and a pneumatic squeezer.

Any suggestions for a newbie who obviously needs to put this down for the day and have a few beers.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-24-2015, 04:23 PM

You should be able to slightly move the nose rib in order to get the gun into position, especially with a long enough set. An offset rivet set in the gun would also work, and is what I used. Just be sure to practice with it on scrap first, it takes some getting used to. You will need a higher pressure setting, and I also usually use some medical tape to keep the set from swiveling in the gun. You will use the offset set a number of times during the build in similar situations. Keeping the set perpendicular to the spar is also important and harder to do with an offset set, so practice is key. And keep what you are riveting secured so it doesn't move at all.

If you believe the holes are too enlarged, you have a few options, but I'll let Vans or somebody else more knowledgeable chime in. Also do some research on acceptable rivets - often times leaving a less than "perfect" rivet is better than drilling it out and risking mangling the hole.

Chris

Last edited by YellowJacket RV9 : 11-24-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM

It looks like you should be able to get at those a couple of different ways. One would be a hand squeezer with a thick flat set on the ram and a cup set on the yoke. You might need a deeper yoke to get the middle one. You can also use the rivet gun with a straight cup set. Just flex the nose rib out of the way, set the rivets, flex it back into place.

Before you egg those holes out too much, I'd suggest perfecting your rivet removal skills. You'll eventually get good at it, but there's a way to do it that won't enlarge the holes. Learn it now on scrap.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Thanks Chris - that's helpful. I do have an offset rivet set, so maybe i can give that a try. its funny, i jumped into this gung ho, and lately its been pretty discouraging - but i'm sure most folks who have never done anything like this go through something very similar. Riveting takes some getting used to, for sure... hopefully one of these days I'll master it.

Thanks again
Old 11-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Before you egg those holes out too much, I'd suggest perfecting your rivet removal skills. You'll eventually get good at it, but there's a way to do it that won't enlarge the holes. Learn it now on scrap.
Yep, I thought I had it down. I did a few of them yesterday and they went well. these, not so much. They're not terrible, but they are larger than they were originally, so it may be time for a call to Vans for a new part.

Not sure how easy it is to see here, but this is a pic from the underside with the rivet in the hole.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM

Measure it and see how big it is. If you don't have a caliper yet, now is the time... even the inexpensive Harbor Freight models are OK. Chances are fairly good you're still OK if you don't enlarge it any further, but the specs and the calipers will tell you for sure.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)

Last edited by DaleB : 11-24-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:45 PM
been here awhile

If push comes to shove...you can always put a couple of machine screws with locking nuts in those holes.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM

Yea it doesn't look too bad. There are also some tricks you can use in these cases as long as the hole is in specs, like slightly 'pre-squeezing' a rivet before installing it, this will fill out the slightly widened hole and make it easier to set the rivet well. The above mention screws and lock nuts are also a possibility. Come to think of it, there may be one of those on my wing somewhere.

For me anyways, the empennage was the most frustrating part of the build. It gets better!

Chris
Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post

For me anyways, the empennage was the most frustrating part of the build. It gets better!

Chris
Ah...words of encouragement. Thanks, I need it. But this tells me it's time to call it quits for today.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:05 PM

First rule of riveting, "Never buck a rivet that can be squeezed".

If you don't have a good hand squeezer you will need one. It may be the most important tool you will use during your build.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor