- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 PM

Default RV-12 912 ULS carb jetting

I have looked but with no success. If I recall correctly, the RV-12 uses individual oiled fabric air filters on the carbs (rather than a single air box).

Can someone provide the RV-12 factory jetting for the Bing Carbs? My best guesses are:

Main jet: 155 or 158?
Needle jet: 2.70?
Idle jet: 35?
Needle clip position?

Thanks!

(yes, I donate yearly)
Old 11-14-2015, 05:09 AM

Your best bet would be to check the Rotax manuals. The carbs are not airframe specific.

In my experience, the uncertified 912ULS in the RV-12 normally uses individual K&N air filters and the certified 912S tends to have the single airbox fitted.

Loving Rotax....
Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Jerry, yes, I have consulted the manual. However, because air box configuration and air filtration systems have effects on jetting, I was asking specifically for the jetting of the engine equipped with two individual filters.

Do you have that information?
Old 11-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Nope. I don't have that info, I'm afraid.

As Rotax supply both the air box and the K&N filters for their engines, I have always presumed Rotax have our (and their) best interests at heart and have set the carbs correctly out of the box.

Loving Rotax....
Old 11-16-2015, 10:00 PM

Have you tried contacting the ROTAX Owner Assistance Network?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:09 AM
Banned

The carb jetting from factory doesn't change if you use 2 individual air filters or one single large one. Some do change the jetting if they live at high elevations and fly high altitudes all the time. If you do have 2 single air filters and they only use under the cowl air then it is like running with a moderate carb heat all the time. The best air for the engine would be cool dry outside air. Under the cowl uses the warm to hot air under a cowl. This makes the carbs run just a touch rich.

Here is a carb jet chart.
http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_ti...arburetors.htm

Unless you live at high elevations I would leave the jetting as is.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:23 PM

Sink, thanks for the chart. I have seen those numbers before.

700 ft elevation. Yes, warm air is less dense than cool air and yes, at least hypothetically, warm air from inside the cowling should result in a (small) loss of HP. Still, many 912-equipped planes use individual oiled cotton filters rather than outside air and many of them have excellent performance. I have yet to see any quantification of power loss from warmer air drawn into the carbs from the cowling.

I guess nobody changes 912 ULS jetting when air filter configuration is changed.