Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Default Removing barriers to aerobatics: (IAC Competition on a Dime!)

I hear it time after time: ?I?d like to get into aerobatic competition but it?s just too expensive?. And I get it. If money was no barrier to competition we would be flying an Extra, MX or some other exotic bad-*ss aerobatic monoplane. But we fly RVs and the gas to get to and from a contest, hotels, parachute, and entry fees and on and on? It all adds up. There is a way.

1. Find a buddy with an interest in aerobatic competition.
2. Join the International Aerobatic Club (IAC). Dues for new members are half price right now!
3. Get with your local IAC chapter and tell them you want to start learning about competitive aerobatics. They will be VERY helpful.
4. Practice. You should have your buddy coach you from the ground. If you try doing it without coaching you will only become very proficient at doing it the wrong way!
5. Find a contest near you and sign up.
6. You and your buddy fly to the contest in one airplane. Share travel expenses.
7. Stay in a hotel with your buddy. Share a room.
8. Share a parachute with your buddy or borrow one from another competitor. If you are at a contest with me I will gladly share my chute. If you contact the Contest Director before the contest he/she will gladly arrange for a borrowed chute.

If you encounter any other barriers to competition that I haven?t covered send me a PM with your phone number or email address and I?ll do whatever I can to help you out. The season starts on March 17th in Donnellon, FL (X35). I?ll be there. Come join in the fun!
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 11-10-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschreck View Post
If you encounter any other barriers to competition that I haven’t covered send me a PM.
Yeah Ron - the dang Wx! Guess I need to equip my Pitts so I can file and make more contests.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
Yeah Ron - the dang Wx! Guess I need to equip my Pitts so I can file and make more contests.

Eric,

That's where RVs shine! I can't tell you how many times I have had to file to get to or from an air show or contest. All those Pitts and bad-*ss monoplane pilots get real envious of our IFR birds.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Default Just to get you started:

The IAC has just announced the KNOWN sequences for 2016:

https://www.iac.org/system/files/IAC...wns%202016.pdf
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM

Default Spin o rama

I see there are no spins until Adv. Can Sportsman power still design their own free?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroflyrgirl View Post
I see there are no spins until Adv. Can Sportsman power still design their own free?
Yes. Sportsman competitors may fly a FREE program for their second and third flight. You are not required to fly a FREE sequence. Most Sportsmen competitors fly the KNOWN sequence for all three flights. The FREE sequence must have the same difficulty (126K) as the KNOWN sequence. There are other restrictions which are outlined in the IAC Rule Book.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 AM

Unhappy Primary Known 2015-16

Also note that the Primary Known for 2016 is the same as the 2015:
https://www.iac.org/files/Sequences/PRMP-Known-2015.pdf Unfortunately my RV 4 is more like a Pitts for traveling- no IFR, wood prop so no rain, over grossed and out of C.G. with passenger and baggage, and sore butt from sitting on the "softie" parachute. If I hadn't left from Sebring Saturday morning before the 3rd Sportsman flight, I'd still be in Florida from the weather. See you in Dunnelion, FL with airplane if the weather permits. Still grinning from all the fun and new friends we met. Hope everyone brings their A game this time.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama
Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 AM

Default Safety Pilot

It occurs to me that there is another barrier to competition that needs to be discussed. Many prospective aerobatic competitors may feel uneasy about their ability to safely recover their aircraft if they inadvertently mess up a figure and depart controlled flight. Certainly the first step in learning aerobatics is to get competent instruction and a competent instructor's first challenge is to teach departure and spin recovery techniques. Here's the good new for those that still may be concerned about their ability to safely handle their airplane in competition; you may fly with a safety pilot! Here's what the IAC Rule Book says about it:

"The competitor will be the sole occupant of the aircraft during competition flights except in
Primary through Intermediate power categories and all glider categories, wherein ?safety pilots? are
authorized as passengers. The competitor has the sole responsibility for determining the qualifications
of an individual to act as a Safety Pilot in the competitor's make and model aircraft."

I hope this effectively removes yet another barrier to competition. Go fly. Have fun!
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Intro to Aerobatics in the north east

I would someday love to do competition aerobatics and I think the RV's are a perfect plane for the amateur competitor.... Could you tell me the best steps to introduce myself into learning aerobatics. I'm based at Somerset, NJ and own a RV7A. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk770 View Post
I would someday love to do competition aerobatics and I think the RV's are a perfect plane for the amateur competitor....
Could you tell me the best steps to introduce myself into learning aerobatics. I'm based at Somerset, NJ and own a RV7A. Thanks.
IAC Chapter 52 is nearby:

IAC Chapter 52
Suffern, NY US
President: Fellenzer John
845-978-0511
Meetings: 1st Sat., 7:00 PM
jdf@fellp.com
http://IAC52.eaachapter.org

Contact the chapter and they will likely know the best aerobatic instructors in the area. Get some basic instruction. It's OK if that is in a
Decathlon or Extra. Most chapters have practice days where you can get some great coaching once you start aerobatics in your RV.
Go to a contest and fly the Primary sequence or just go and volunteer to see what it's all about. The contest calendar on the IAC web site
will list the 2016 events shortly after the new year. Good luck. PM me if you need more information.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor