- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:12 AM

Unhappy Floor vibration

Floks, I have 14 hrs on my 8 and I now have a vibration coming from the cockpit floor. It grows louder when your feet are centered on the floor. Anybody else with this issue? Can the vibration be reduced? Is this generated by the placement of my Vetterman exhaust?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:01 PM

hi doug

I am also flyin an 8 with the same issue. In my case, the vibration is not too bad with my feet on the rudder, but as soon as i put my feet on the floor the vibration is very bad. From reading other posts, I've heard that its not so much the exhaust as the general vibration from the engine/prop. Could be wrong, but I'm in the same boat as you lookin for less vibration from the floors.
Sling Tsi- (under construction)
Bend, OR
Old 11-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Addressed in another thread!

Check out this thread-
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...light=cracking
It would be nice to know if any of these guys had any success. I am also having this same problem. Curious as to whether the planes experiencing this have short exhaust pipes or long pipes coming out of the cowl.
RV8 - Gone too, now winning races in the RV Gold Class!
RV4 - Flying!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:15 PM

Question Floor Vibration

Thanks, sounds like others have the same issues. I have the Vetterman exhaust on a TMX 0360/FP. I was thinking of re-alligning the direction the pipes exit the cowl or some kind of expanding foam. (heat may be an issue). The cracking issues may require a doubler of sorts. I would do it now but I'm having too much fun flying the first 40 off. I'll check to see if it's related to a specific prop/floor harmonic at differnt RPM's.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Floor vibration

Guys, I broke down and called Vans. They think it could possibly be turbulent air produced by my pipes protruding beyond the cowl. The extend beyons my cowl about 1".
Old 11-20-2006, 03:59 PM

I've had these tips on my RV-8 since the beginning. I've been told my plane is quieter than others. No probs with floor vibration, and I have the pipes tucked **up** as far a possible . Might be worth a try....

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...172/index.html
Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM

larry-
those look pretty cool....might give em a try for $60 to get the noise and vibration down...we'll see.
Sling Tsi- (under construction)
Bend, OR
Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Floor vibration

Hmmm. Looks like a potential fix. I'll try and tuck the pipes up this weekend and do a little research. I'll post my findings.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:26 AM

Default piccolo pipes quiter inside and/or outside?

Larry,
From which perspectives are the comments about "quiter" aimed? From passengers inside your plane comparing it to other RV8s or from people on the ground comparing your planes sound as compared to another RV8's flying by or both?

Also, my cooling ramp has just now developed cracks round the two outer end rivets that attached the stiffener. On one the rivet no longer contacts the skin and can be completely pushed inside the skin. I guess the way to fix that would be to structural bond a small round aluminum patch over the bad rivet and also rivet that patch to the stiffener. The other rivet still has some skin meat under it so it can be stop drilled, I hope, but I guess it will fail too at some piont so might as well do that to both rivets. I think the exaust has a lot to do with it. There's a lot of oil canning to begin with on that ramp. It's a QB fuse and seems to be a very common problem.

Lucky
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Floor stiffeners

does anyone have any pictures of how the floor stiffeners attach to the main spar on a RV-6 page 31 of the drawings revision 9 and 6.

Jim
Rv-6 Iowa