What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TT roll servo D-sub connection?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I did a trial fit of my TT Roll servo yesterday. I found that with the D-sub shell on the connector, the wire has to make a fairly sharp turn at the connector. It seems that it might be better without the shell over the connector - there would be a lot less strain on the wires. Do most people use a shell at the servo? If you don't use a shell, what size screws are used to keep the d-sub attached?

Modify the shell...?

I'm thinking of modifying the plastic shell to let the wires come out the side so I can still use the shell to hold the connector together.

I disposed of the backshell and made my own by making a duck tape dam and filling it with RTV. Had the bend in the mold so it fit well.

Only took 15 minutes to do and 24 hours to harden.

Jekyll

Custom Connector

I made a 90 degree db-9 connector. I modified the d-sub shell (cut off the end) and used a PC board DB-9 connector. I soldered the harness leads to the connector and bonded the connector it to the shell with epoxy. I heat-shrunk the connections and used RTV to fill all the inside of the shell to prevent any movement. Screws were used to further secure the connector to the shell. It's pretty solid. This allowed the connector to attach to the servo at 90 degrees and from there I ran the harness into the conduit without any strains. The entire assembly sits just the thickness of the connector above the servo.

-Rick

Back