What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any reason to save a cracked canopy?

WyoDave

Well Known Member
Several years ago I replaced the canopy on my slider 6 after the old one suddenly developed a ~3' long crack. I'm saving the front piece cut off from the new one. Is there any reason to hang on to the replaced back half with the crack? I'm moving stuff into a new shop and trying to get rid of things that are just taking up space.

Test samples

Cut into sections and sell them to us noobies who need plexi drilling practice.

Make a canopy mockup, and find out for yourself how hard it is to break out in an emergency. Take it to your local EAA chapter meeting, and give a few others a chance to try as well.

Make a canopy mockup, and find out for yourself how hard it is to break out in an emergency. Take it to your local EAA chapter meeting, and give a few others a chance to try as well.

That has been done and there is a video on YouTube of it.

I would like to make a tip-up mockup, drive down suitable place at 100 and eject it.

This was done at my home a while back, with my cracked first canopy. The meeting was packed and it was quite educational. I was sick about cracking my canopy, but at least some good came out of it. You can click on this link to my website page and watch the video here:

EAA Chapter105 Meeting.html

Would I do it again? I would never crack a canopy again (if I could help it!) but yes, it's a good way to contribute something and make some lemonade out of lemons! :)

Back