Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Did I just ruin this?

Yet another did I ruin this:

About 3/4 of the way through dimpling the flanges of the 915 stiffeners for the rudder I noticed that the female die was making an ever so slight impression in the crease of the bend on the stiffener. The pictures of the internal surface of the flange exaggerate (due to light reflection) the "impression" made by the side of the female die. On the reverse side you can see and feel (albeit ever so slight) the protrusion. I do have reduced diameter dies but did not think to use them or check the clearance before I started whacking away on the C-Frame. What is the consensus?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM

I think structurally, no. The stress region of the stiffener is on the edge at the beginning of your arrows. Stiffeners are cheap, so you could replace them with the next order pretty easy, if it bothers you.

It happens.

Oh - remember that one of the high probability occurrences in back riveting the stiffeners is to rivet OFF the backing plate, just a reminder.

RV-7
Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Build--on!
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I think structurally, no. The stress region of the stiffener is on the edge at the beginning of your arrows. Stiffeners are cheap, so you could replace them with the next order pretty easy, if it bothers you.

Thanks Bill!

It happens.

Oh - remember that one of the high probability occurrences in back riveting the stiffeners is to rivet OFF the backing plate, just a reminder.
Hahah I've been down that road already. Hopefully I got all of that out on the practice projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Build--on!
Thanks Mel!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 PM

If it was in the skin I would redo since small dents are highly amplified visually when painted. In stiffener I would just move on.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM

I ground part of the die face outside of the dimple area away so this would be less likely to happen.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:11 PM

You should use a small diameter female die for this application. Many places you will need one during the build. Get a #40 and a # 30.
AirCam flying
Old 12-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Dies

All my female dies have a flat side for that reason. When dimpling with the squeezer I always tape the flat side to the head of the yoke so it can't rotate.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:16 PM

If there's a protrusion on the skin side of the stiffener and it's not very high, it'll be within the coat of Pro-Seal that some of us paint on the stiffener before riveting. If you're not doing that - if you're planning on riveting it bare, then any protrusion could affect the contour or flatness of the skin.

(The Pro-Seal is to hopefully avoid any skin cracking, although I think that's more prevalent with the .016 skins on the older airplanes like my RV-3B. It might not be worth doing on yours. And even on the older aircraft, it's only done, usually, for surfaces in the slipstream. I think.)

The only other thing to check for is whether there's any zero-radius bending, which aluminum doesn't like. Those are crack-initiation points, although as BillL pointed out, this isn't the most highly-stressed area of the stiffener.

If it were mine, and if either of these were the case, I'd replace them. Heck, I've replaced so many parts that a stiffener more or less wouldn't be noticed.

Dave
RV-3B, now building the second pair of fuel tanks, sigh....
Old 12-30-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
You should use a small diameter female die for this application. Many places you will need one during the build. Get a #40 and a # 30.
Correct
There are numerous instances that the manual will specify to use a reduced diam. female die. It is listed in the recommended tools list.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")