- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 AM

Default Finally got to fly an RV

I had a chance to fly an RV4 this past weekend, I'm still smiling. I have been set on building an RV7, but after flying the 4 I may have to reconsider. What an absolute pleasure these planes are to fly.

Here is a link to a short time lapse I made of my first stop and go's.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM

I bought my 1st -4 in 1994, sold it in 2001, bought another in 2003; still have it. But I'm building a -7. I'll miss the -4's near perfect handling, but I won't miss the cramped space, fairly common Bubba-in-Back cg/gross weight issues, being able to easily observe/communicate with new-to-flying passengers, somewhat limited out-&-back range (I fuel at home with mogas), etc.

For me, the other issues made the decision easy. (And my CFO's insistence on a seat on the front row would have overridden the other choice, anyway.)

Charlie
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM

RV-7 instructions: "Install and rivet the perfectly formed part into place. Enjoy a sandwich and a cool beverage."

RV-4 instructions: "Mine the ore. From the ore create the part according to plans, then discover it doesn't quite fit right. Consult VAF to and see that many other people had same problem. Do what they did and create new part from old. Match drill new part to existing structure. After discovering that existing structure has interference with rivet pattern, adjust holes as needed and install and rivet part into place."

Disclaimer: I lived the above while building my -6A next to a buddy building a -7. I assume the 4 is more similar to the -6 than it is to the -7.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:44 AM

What a cool video! Have not seen that perspective before. I sure miss flying in that part of the world.
2021 dues paid!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Wow, those swept wings sure induce a lot of vibration------your head is shak'n all over the place.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Wow, those swept wings sure induce a lot of vibration------your head is shak'n all over the place.

Did you notice later in the clip the vibration created an effect of a second head?

Nice flick Nick!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM

Gives a new meaning to the term "Bobblehead"
Maule M5-235C SOLD
C-172G SOLD
Stinson L5 SOLD
Grumman AA1A SOLD
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
RV-7 instructions: "Install and rivet the perfectly formed part into place. Enjoy a sandwich and a cool beverage."

RV-4 instructions: "Mine the ore. From the ore create the part according to plans, then discover it doesn't quite fit right. Consult VAF to and see that many other people had same problem. Do what they did and create new part from old. Match drill new part to existing structure. After discovering that existing structure has interference with rivet pattern, adjust holes as needed and install and rivet part into place."

Disclaimer: I lived the above while building my -6A next to a buddy building a -7. I assume the 4 is more similar to the -6 than it is to the -7.
Hey .. not all those -7 parts are perfectly formed! I actually had to deburr the edges of one or two, and then I had to figure out how to stop the rivets from magically flying from their bins and self-installing in the structure. I've alway heard that it was good to learn to rivet...from a -4 driver. ;-)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:21 PM

haha! Love it

I really like the 4 also but for my first build and who knows, maybe my only build in my life i thought the plans kit or non pre punched 4 whatever you wanna call it was to much for me to take on.
Im happy with my choice so far although i have just barley started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post

Old 11-19-2014, 06:43 AM

Default RV4

My 4 was the most fun, the most difficult to build and even tho I'm in my late seventies, I may do it again.
RV4 built sold
RV6 built sold
RV7A built flying