What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Dual Screen...Wow!

Jim Ellis

Well Known Member
It took a few months but I just completed installation and configuration of a dual screen Garmin G3X Touch system.

This install is in an RV-7A, Slider.

I couldn't be happier! :)

gK8cU7D.jpg

RO1ek6J.jpg

Installation went well thanks to the great wiring harness that was built by John Stark and Jonathan Dalafave at Stark Avionics.

The system includes all the standard components:

(2) GDU 460 moving map screens
GSU 25 AHRS
GTP 59 temperature probe
GMU 22 magnetometer
GAD 29 ARINC adapter
GEA 24 engine analyzer

In addition I added:

GTN 750 nav/com/waas gps/map
GTR 20 remote com
GMA 240 audio panel
GMC 305 autopilot control
Trutrak GX Pilot (I'm using Trutrak servos)
GDL-39R remote ADS-B receiver
Advanced Flight Systems AOA Sport
GTX 23 remote transponder
ACK Model E-04 ELT
Vertical Power VP-X Sport

The labeling was done with dry transfers from Color Vu in Southlake, TX. The panel was cut by Steinair and they did an outstanding job.

The annunciator panel was my own creation using information I gathered from other Van's Air Force contributors.

I received some great help from the Garmin G3X Team when I ran into a couple of problems. How they figured out that I had two pins reversed on the CAN bus with the little bit of information I gave them on the phone is little short of a miracle. These folks are amazing!

The most difficult part of the job was figuring out where to place all the components...it was really becoming crowded behind the panel by the time I had finished. Click here and scroll down to Post #36 to see behind the panel pictures.

Here are some additional pictures of the panel details:

rklj9SO.jpg

Toggle switches are wired to provide multiple functions described in Bob Nuckolls, "AeroElectric Connection".

0j5gF1Y.jpg

The black circular socket on the bottom right is a LEMO jack for Bose headsets.
The mini toggle switch just to the right of the LEMO jack selects for mono or stereo headsets.

ijO3nQt.jpg

The dual Pmag ignitions have locking toggle switches for run and test modes. The Start switch has red LED surround lighting.

gtZ6a3w.jpg

The wiring for the DPST TO/GA Switch is described in the G3X Installation Manual. The Flap switch is from DigiKey.

Q2tJASz.jpg

The annunciator panel is made from 12mm x 16mm LED display units with a clear label under the cap.

sdEUHMK.jpg

The GMC 305 autopilot controller at the bottom of the center stack is fully integrated with the G3X and the Trutrak GX autopilot.
Left and Right Aux Fuel Switches control the operation of Auxiliary Fuel Pump Relays from Aircraft Extras.

TEiYset.jpg

A backup battery is wired in the "AUTO" mode to disconnect from the main power bus should the main battery drop below 13 volts.

I am still learning all the new and amazing things this system can do. I just noticed today that I was seeing aircraft on the moving map screen that were flying over me on approach to DFW. And this was from inside my shop with the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the fuselage!

This equipment is truly astounding. It's true what Arthur C. Clarke said, " Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Last edited:
Beautiful panel! I'm going to be ordering similar equipment in the next month or so.

One question. Isn't the GX Pilot redundant to the built in AP features of the G3X, especially when you have the GMC 305? Or is that the point?

Beautiful panel! I'm going to be ordering similar equipment in the next month or so.

One question. Isn't the GX Pilot redundant to the built in AP features of the G3X, especially when you have the GMC 305? Or is that the point?
Hi Ed,

The simple answer is that I already had the Trutrak servos installed and I was too lazy to replace the somewhat more complicated wiring for the Garmin servos. But you are correct that I gained redundant backup to the Garmin A/P control.

sorry mi ignorance. what is the clearence switch function?

Your panel is beautifull

Regards:D

Hernan, I can't answer for Jim, but in my plane I have a STBY switch that powers up the AUDIO panel, one radio and a couple other things that allows me to call for my clearance before starting and powering up all the avionics.

I bet Jim's is similar..

sorry mi ignorance. what is the clearence switch function?

Your panel is beautifull

Regards:D
Hi Hernan,

The Clearance Delivery Switch provides power to one Com radio only without powering up all of the other avionics. This allows you to transmit and receive clearance information before engine start.

Jim,
As I start installing my G3X Touch panel, you are going to be my new best friend! I may be bugging you for pictures. Stein built it for me and it looks amazing. Now I just have to get it all installed!

Yours looks great. Nice work.

Jim,
As I start installing my G3X Touch panel, you are going to be my new best friend! I may be bugging you for pictures. Stein built it for me and it looks amazing. Now I just have to get it all installed!

Yours looks great. Nice work.
Happy to help if I can. Just let me know what you need.

Biggest challenges are where to mount all the various components and configuring the screens. There are hundreds of options!

Jim,

The panel looks fantastic! Motivation for those of us still in the build process to carry on. And glad to hear the ADS-B receiver is working well. One of the great things about the GDL 39R if you weren't already aware, is that it is a dual frequency receiver. That means you will pick up any ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, whether they are broadcasting on 978 MHz or 1090 MHz. This is a big plus because it means you are not dependent on the ADS-B ground stations to combine both 978/1090 traffic information for you to get the 'big picture' on your display. Your G3X Touch also includes Garmin TargetTrend? technology which shows other aircraft trajectories relative to your position with a green trend line, helping you identify potential conflicts. Not to mention all the Garmin Connext capability including ADS-B traffic and weather data that can be streamed to your portable device running Garmin Pilot, and more. Magic indeed!

Thanks,
Brian

G3X autopilot redundancy with GMC 305

Ed,

You are correct that the GMC 305 provides redundant control of the G3X autopilot. Because the servos interface directly with the ADAHRS, the GMC 305 can continue providing basic autopilot functionality if all displays are powered down. So you will continue to have ability to use functions like CWS, pitch hold, roll hold, and altitude hold.

****CLARIFICATION****

I may have misread the question in this thread regarding the GMC 305 when installed with a TruTrak autopilot. The description of redundancy I provided above assumes you have the integrated G3X autopilot with our GSA 28 servos. Any redundancy that may be available with a TruTrak autopilot installed is reliant on the TruTrak control head and not the G3X system. Please contact TruTrak for questions on what functionality will remain under certain failure conditions.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Jim, Nice panel.

I'm planning many of the items that you have in your panel on mine too. I have pretty much given up on dual 10" screens however. I like how you did the vents. I thought about that sort of arrangement too. Right now I have the smaller vents which I'm not 100% sold on.

Jim,

The panel looks fantastic! Motivation for those of us still in the build process to carry on. And glad to hear the ADS-B receiver is working well. One of the great things about the GDL 39R if you weren't already aware, is that it is a dual frequency receiver. That means you will pick up any ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, whether they are broadcasting on 978 MHz or 1090 MHz. This is a big plus because it means you are not dependent on the ADS-B ground stations to combine both 978/1090 traffic information for you to get the 'big picture' on your display. Your G3X Touch also includes Garmin TargetTrend? technology which shows other aircraft trajectories relative to your position with a green trend line, helping you identify potential conflicts. Not to mention all the Garmin Connext capability including ADS-B traffic and weather data that can be streamed to your portable device running Garmin Pilot, and more. Magic indeed!

Thanks,
Brian

Jim, looks like you thought this out very well and it shows. Nice display.

Brian, is it possible to get GDL 39 ADS-B data displayed on Foreflight? Or is it Garmin Pilot or bust?

Sweet! The Garmin G3X systems may cost a bit more than the competing systems but every time I see a new installation of them I'm more and more impressed. When the day comes that I can afford to upgrade my old school steam panel, Garmin is sure to be a front runner for my upgrade dollars.

Jim, looks like you thought this out very well and it shows. Nice display.

Brian, is it possible to get GDL 39 ADS-B data displayed on Foreflight? Or is it Garmin Pilot or bust?

No Foreflight...Garmin pilot only (or some portables).

Cheers,
Stein

G3X System Pricing

Sweet! The Garmin G3X systems may cost a bit more than the competing systems but every time I see a new installation of them I'm more and more impressed. When the day comes that I can afford to upgrade my old school steam panel, Garmin is sure to be a front runner for my upgrade dollars.

Hi Neal,

I think you'll find that G3X prices are very competitive, and in some cases may be less depending on what functionality you are comparing. You can find pricing details on our website at Garmin.com/Experimental, but also feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have a shopping list and questions.

Thanks,
Brian

START BUTTON

Jim - i am considering a similar start button. Does yours use a relay? if so what is it & how wired? if not what is the current rating of the button?

thanx
keith

Behind the panel questions

Jim, beautiful panel. I'm considering doing a very similar panel upgrade to replace my existing panel.

Do you have any pictures of behind the panel?

Right now my main avionics stack is offset to the right of the center rib. Did you have to trim the center rib to get the GTN 750 mounted up high in the center?

Is your panel standard height or is it taller than standard?

Jim, beautiful panel. I'm considering doing a very similar panel upgrade to replace my existing panel.

Do you have any pictures of behind the panel?

Right now my main avionics stack is offset to the right of the center rib. Did you have to trim the center rib to get the GTN 750 mounted up high in the center?

Is your panel standard height or is it taller than standard?

Hi Rick,

I do have pictures behind the panel that I can send to your email.

It was necessary to make a small 3/4 inch by 1 inch notch in the lower side of the rib to clear the top of the GTN 750 screen. The panel is 1 1/4 inch lower than normal. If I were to do it again I would move the switches a little higher and only add one inch to the panel.

I'm just down the road from you if you would want to come by my shop to see the panel. I am installing the engine now.

Hi Hernan,

The Clearance Delivery Switch provides power to one Com radio only without powering up all of the other avionics. This allows you to transmit and receive clearance information before engine start.

rather than let your engine warm up? is it really a benefit? just genuinely curious

rather than let your engine warm up? is it really a benefit? just genuinely curious

Hi Brian,

I guess you would call this a convenience feature. You can copy Clearance without the engine noise and you can look up any changes if your Clearance is not "As Filed" without burning fuel.

I remember some years ago waiting over ten minutes at Destin Executive to get departure clearance from Eglin AFB. Could have saved some fuel if I had this feature.

Also handy if you wish to call the FBO to bring the fuel truck around to your hangar.

As for engine warm up, you can contact Ground for Taxi Clearance anytime you wish after engine start. With 5 to 10 minutes taxi time to the runway the oil temps have always been good for takeoff.

Thanks for your GREAT report

Im just starting my RV-12 pnl install,wiring from Steinair. Im installing a Viking fuel injected engine with electronic engine controller and dual fuel pumps. Your pnl design will help me with my final design. I have a dual G3X,350 a/p controller,second nav/com sl30. and dual batteries+G3X backup battery. Do by chance have any wiring diag's?
Rich

Im just starting my RV-12 pnl install,wiring from Steinair. Im installing a Viking fuel injected engine with electronic engine controller and dual fuel pumps. Your pnl design will help me with my final design. I have a dual G3X,350 a/p controller,second nav/com sl30. and dual batteries+G3X backup battery. Do by chance have any wiring diag's?
Rich

Hi Rich,

I would highly recommend that you have Steinair create a wiring diagram for your specific system. There is a fee for this that is well worth the cost. The one they did for me was almost 4 feet long and covered most of my work table. It made the wiring very easy. Just call Stein.

I would be most grateful if you could post some detailed pics of behind the panel. I'm curious where and how each of the LRU's got mounted, etc.

Also, would be interested in how you managed to fit all that into the VP-X Sport, I'm having trouble not running out of circuits with the VPX-Pro!

Last edited:
I would be most grateful if you could post some detailed pics of behind the panel. I'm curious where and how each of the LRU's got mounted, etc.

Also, would be interested in how you managed to fit all that into the VP-X Sport, I'm having trouble not running out of circuits with the VPX-Pro!

Here is a block diagram showing where the LRU's are located.

4EYWcQh.jpg

This layout requires two access panels on the forward deck between the subpanel and the firewall.

The additional small amp circuits are provided by a 10 amp auxiliary fuse block connected to the VP-X Sport. This is shown on page 19 of the VP-X Installation Manual.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim! Any chance you have some pictures you could share?

Which items did you break out onto a fuse block from the VPX?

Here are a few pictures taken during the work in progress behind the panel.

YeXhJKl.jpg

Looking aft from the firewall towards the back of the panel. You can see how far the GTN 750 extends through the subpanel. The GTR 20 Com 2 transceiver is mounted sideways on the rib on the right. Service loops are your friend.

Z0FJkqR.jpg

The Vertical Power VP-X Sport is at bottom right in the picture. It can be removed from below by removing four screws. The GEA 24 engine analyzer is in the center of the picture just to the right of the GTN 750.

b3wMEuW.jpg

The GSU 25 AHRS is mounted on the aft side of the subpanel. The small tubing is for the pitot-static and port sensors for the AOA Sport controller.

I don't have a picture but the Aux Fuse Block has around six low amp circuits for eyeball lights, panel lights, baggage lights, oil pressure sensor and warning lights.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim!

Would you mind sharing your VP-X wiring diagram? The one Vertical Power generates on the website for you. I'm still struggling to get everything to fit even moving small stuff to a fuse block.

Just don't forget that you will eventually be servicing all these components from below, and you still have to rivet that skin on somehow.

Thanks Jim!

Would you mind sharing your VP-X wiring diagram? The one Vertical Power generates on the website for you. I'm still struggling to get everything to fit even moving small stuff to a fuse block.

I will see if I can find it and email it to you.

Just don't forget that you will eventually be servicing all these components from below, and you still have to rivet that skin on somehow.

Hi Walt,

The two forward 7" x 11" access panels worked out well for this. I can service and, if necessary, remove every component through the openings. I know because I tried each item as I did the installation. The openings also made the final riveting much easier.

Working on your back under the panel is very unpleasant as you well know.

g39rtOV.jpg

Last edited:
This is but one example of why EAA aircraft are the rage. Your panel and expertise put the certified aircraft to shame. Beautiful job! Congrats.

Hi Rodrigo,

Wrap the back side of the access door with Saran wrap, tape around the opening, and install the door with a bead of Loctite 5699 Grey RTV Silicone. Do not over tighten.
Let it set over night before removing the door and you have a water proof seal around the door.

Last edited:
Fantastical Panel.

Are the dual pmags un-grounded when everything is off (parked)?

Where did you get the pmag locking switches?

Back