What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Renegades over the Rockies

bobmarkert

Well Known Member

Take six RVs and then add a Giles 202 (to teach us tolerance and diversity) and you have the Rocky Mountain Renegade Formation Flight Team. We just completed our third airshow season and will now take a few weeks off before starting work on a new and better show for next year. Here is our 2014 video...... Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsiwzeqVm0I

Bob Markert
Slot pilot and other Dirty Odd Jobs

Last edited:
Fun

Exciting to watch. Everyone did a great job this season! Great representives of the Experimental community and what a professional approach to formation flying looks like!
Best of luck in the future and safe flying to all!

Great job!

Formation and aerobatics at density altitude above seven or eight thousand feet is no walk in the park. You guys are looking good!

Besides the DA...

...it's windy too! Steamboat Springs was pretty gusty the day we were at the airshow, waiting for the storm to pass, so you guys could go up. Well done, and I'm sure it's not easy, even though you make it look that way.

Formation and aerobatics at density altitude above seven or eight thousand feet is no walk in the park. You guys are looking good!

Ron you are exactly right, the density altitude is our Achilles heel. As you know, you have to be able to replicate a maneuver 100% of the time before it goes into the show. At our Alamosa show the DA was 10,550 at takeoff!!!!! Our lead Jim (Gringo) Gray flies the show at 2300 rpm and 15-17” MP so we’re not all screaming "gimme one". Do the math on the HP. … 10,000+ DA 2300/15”-17”. It’s a testament to his ability to manage our energy state and keep us out of the rocks…..and there are a lot of rocks where we fly!!!! Gringo is as smooth as silk. A few more maneuver upgrades coming next year…… standby....

Wizard

Last edited:
Great job leading

Ron you are exactly right, the density altitude is our Achilles heel. As you know, you have to be able to replicate a maneuver 100% of the time before it goes into the show. At our Alamosa show the DA was 10,550 at takeoff!!!!! Our lead Jim (Gringo) Gray flies the show at 2300 rpm and 15-17? MP so we?re not all screaming "gimme one". Do the math on the HP. ? 10,000+ DA 2300/15?-17?. It?s a testament to his ability to manage our energy state and keep us out of the rocks?..and there are a lot of rocks where we fly!!!! Gringo is as smooth as silk. A few more maneuver upgrades coming next year?? standby....

Wizard

Consider the two outside airplanes are usually 160 hp fp rv-4s that he has to accommodate too. The core diamond of the group is rock solid. Throw in Gman and it really ups the quality of the routine .I know I feel privileged to fly with such a great group of pilots.

Cm

Back