Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Default Installation of new AF Perf fuel pump

After nearly 1800 hours of operation of our RV8, the original Airflow Performance boost pump has become increasingly noisy. It has finally gotten loud enough to cause concern, so rather than waiting for failure I decided to change the pump. The new pump is the Air Flow Performance #2090255, sold by Van's as "EF Airflow Fuel Pump-1." The new pump has vastly simplified the installation, as the bypass is internal to the assembly, eliminating the return line to a "T" at the fuel selector valve. The installation eliminated seven fittings and about 18" of fuel line. A very nice assembly! The photos show how neat it is:

The photos of the fuel filter are a bit confusing. The line comes out the bottom of the fuel selector valve, and curves around to the back of the filter.
Navy A7E Vietnam era
Ret. Corporate Pilot: Gulfstream, IA Jet, Jetstar, Falcon 10, 20, 50, HS125

Last edited by gear1 : 10-13-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: to properly insert photos
Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Default Parallel Thread

Sort of a parallel thread going on at the same time:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=118171
Carbon Cub EX2 N852AZ KCHD
EAA Tech Counselor
2017 Bronze Lindy
Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Other than the fuel lines, is there anything supporting the weight (mass) of the filter??

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Other than the fuel lines, is there anything supporting the weight (mass) of the filter??

Exactly my thought. I saw a similar setup in another 8, only with longer fuel lines on each end with the filter suspended by the hard aluminum lines and pointed out my concern to the builder. He did not seem to have much concern about it though.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up Filter support

Good eye, Mike and Mehrdad,

I did not put in place the soft rubber cradles that will be used to support and damp the vibration of the filter. The cradles will support each end of the filter.

As I was removing the original plumbing for the pump, I discovered that the aft end of filter was rigidly attached (through several fittings) to the fuel selector valve, and flexibly at the front by the aluminum pipe going through the grommet in the gear tower. To me that was asking for fatigue problems at the fittings, although 1800 airframe hours seems to have shown that it works! Now, all of the lines are formed to be long enough to have a bit of flex to fend off vibration without overstress. The rubber cradles will provide the support and damping needed to protect the lines, and can be slipped out to allow for the filter to be removed at condition inspection time.

Thanks for the good observation!
Navy A7E Vietnam era
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Default Experimenting?

We're you experimenting before "finalizing" the configuration? Better to see how it works than to re-do it later!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 PM

This is timely as my older style pump suddenly locked up and blew a fuse. I will probably tinker with it first, but will probably end up getting a new pump. Does the new pump have the same distance from inlet and outlet? In other words is it a drop in replacement (besides the elimination of the recirculation line)?
N184EW
Past President, EAA838 Racine, WI
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Default New pump plumbing

Eric,

No it is not a direct drop in, as the inlet to outlet distance on the new pump is longer than the new one. So the return line is eliminated, and the suction line is shortened somewhat. I did not have to change the line from the output to the firewall.

Look at the markings on the fuel pump that you have. There should be a "Exxxx" (E followed by four numbers). This is the AIRTEX part number. AIRTEX is a major supplier of automotive fuel pumps. The number on the new pump is E2315, but I will check my old pump when I go to the hanger today and let you know this evening. You may be able to replace just the pump in your assembly and not have to modify the plumbing.

Airflow Performance has done an excellent job of converting a relatively inexpensive pump to a very effective aircraft unit. I would recommend either replacing the pump on your existing assembly or purchasing the updated Airflow performance assembly from Van's.
Navy A7E Vietnam era
Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks Craig, now that I look at the pictures and my pump, I can see it would take some additional plumbing modification beyond dealing with the no return line. Since I just want to get back in the air ASAP, I ordered a bare pump for less than $70 off of Amazon. Since it's a standard automotive part, I may as well find it from the quickest and/or cheapest place (in this case, probably both with 2 day shipping).

By the way, I removed it from the airplane tonight and played around with it using a spare battery. For whatever reason, it's locked up. I only hear a slight click every time I give it power.
N184EW
Past President, EAA838 Racine, WI
Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Airtex Pump part number

Eric,

The pump that I removed is the same part number as the new one: E2315. I hope that you found one quickly.
Navy A7E Vietnam era