- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Post Garmin G3X Touch V2.70 Software

V2.70 software for G3X Touch systems is available for download and installation from our website.

It includes support for interfacing and using a lightning detection system with lightning overlays on the moving map. This has been an often requested feature for those outside the U.S. that don't have ground or satellite datalink weather options.

V2.70 also includes the ability to show round flight instruments on the GDU 46X 10.6" PFD display if you prefer this presentation over the conventional tapes.

If you prefer, you can trade out the turn coordinator for the G-Meter. Not shown here, but you can also optionally choose some combinations of traffic, map, and flight plan insets even while using the round flight instruments.

And you can also use the round flight instruments in split screen mode.

The PFD setup page allows you to easily switch back and forth in flight if, for example, you prefer the round instruments when flying aerobatics.

To gain access to the control to choose between tapes and round instruments, just tap the HSI to bring up the PFD Setup screen, select More Options, then edit the PFD Presentation to your choice.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Great news! Could you share what models of lightning detectors are supported?

Thanks,
David
Old 10-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Steve,
That is great! I have been waiting for this release. Well, not waiting, I am having my G3x Touch panel built now but always wanted the six pack displays.

Now the only thing I would really like is a simulator I can play on while I wait for my panel to be delivered. Even instructional videos would be good.
Flying N376E
Old 10-08-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidocs View Post
Great news! Could you share what models of lightning detectors are supported?

Thanks,
David
Hello David,

There are a couple of brands of lightning detectors on the market that use what has become sort of an industry standard RS-232 interface which we are supporting.

Let us know if you have additional compatibility questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Steve,
That is great! I have been waiting for this release. Well, not waiting, I am having my G3x Touch panel built now but always wanted the six pack displays.

Now the only thing I would really like is a simulator I can play on while I wait for my panel to be delivered. Even instructional videos would be good.
Hello Rockwoodrv9a,

With regard to the simulator, you might have noticed in the installation manual that if you ground pin 42 on each display, the displays will operate in simulator mode and will even support a connected GMC305 autopilot control panel when operating in that mode.

You can enter a flight plan, position the aircraft at the departure airport, enter a selected altitude target for the autopilot, engage the autopilot with the AP button, select NAV lateral mode to couple to the flight plan, and select a pitch, vertical speed, or airspeed vertical mode to use in the climb to your target cruise altitude.

Simply touch the airspeed tape and enter an airspeed and off you go to fly a simulated autopilot coupled trip to any destination at any altitude or combination of altitudes.

You can even push the VNAV button while in altitude hold in cruise, and the simulator will display time to VNAV capture/descent, and fly a coupled VNAV profile of your choosing (e.g. 500 fpm) down to pattern altitude at the destination airport.

Just like the real thing, you can push the HDG button and steer the plane around in the "sky" using the HDG knob on the PFD.

There shouldn't be anything about flight planning or using the autopilot that will be foreign to you when it comes time to actually fly with the system if you use this training tool.

If you have visited the Garmin G3X area at SNF or Oshkosh, you will notice we operate systems this way all week long to demonstrate these capabilities. One of the things we don't yet support for customer installations is simulated IFR operation. For the demonstration benches we use at the shows, we load special GTN demo software that lets the GTN take simulated data from the G3X system. Using this, we can also fly simulated ILS and LPV approaches with full lateral and vertical coupling down to the runway.

For obvious reasons, please make sure that the ground wire to this pin is totally removed before attempting to fly. A "DEMO MODE" annunciator in the middle of the PFD will remind you.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by g3xpert : 10-09-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Corrected pin number.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 AM

Dear Steve, the non G3x touch users will not have new upgrade developments?

RV-7 TMX-IO-360 G3X and VPX Flying over Chile
Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSANTIBANEZ View Post
I have the same kind of concern!!!
Flying phase II RV-8 (SCSE) Serial Number 83290, Tail Number CC-AJC
Flying RV-8 (SCTB) Phase II 600 hours and counting since February 22nd 2010
Serial Number 82727, Tail Number CC-PXG
Lyc. IO-360, Hartzell Prop
VAF #2056
EAA Member 774981
Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 AM

You guys Rock!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSANTIBANEZ View Post
Hello Hernan,

Yes, we are absolutely still creating upgrades for G3X customers using GDU 37X displays.

If you go to the G3X Software Updates page you will see that last week we released new software for both G3X and G3X Touch systems with many new features and improvements and more are on the way.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 AM

I?m Happy again!!!!!!

RV-7 TMX-IO-360 G3X and VPX Flying over Chile