Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 12:27 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default Primitive Camping ? Alpine County (CA) ? 11 & 12 Oct 2014

In the great tradition of the original Petit Jean Camping Trip, the great spur-of-moment RV outing to Lake Whitney State Park, and the first RV fly-in to BBRSP, Louise and I are giving notice that we?re going to go airplane camping up at Alpine County Airport (M45) on the weekend of 11 & 12 October. Alpine County has a nice paved runway, ten tie-down spots on the ramp, and?nothing else! Located in the foothills of the Northern Sierra, there are a number of primitive camping sites (no water, no facilities) that are well used. Trails lead off in a number of directions, with a very nice hike down to the upper Carson River. The field appears to be a staging area for aerial firefighting when required ? otherwise, it just sits there, unused. We have talked with the BLM and the Alpine County authorities, and they are happy for folks to camp there, so long as they check the latest campfire restrictions and understand that they are on their own. We are planning on backpacking gear and food ? nothing special.

We?d love to have folks join us ? it is an easy flight of less than an hour from the Bay area, Central Valley of California, and just about anywhere in northern Nevada (It?s about 20 minutes for us).

What?s there to do? Hike, explore, sit and tell lies?.commune with nature and other RV?ers. Markleeville is about four miles away as the crow flies, but we won?t be going there without ground transport. There?s a nice little reservoir a mile or two down the hill. The hike to the Carson is wonderful, and there is much to explore in the mountains and valleys ? plenty of geology to be learned if you walk with Louise! I suspect there are trout hiding in the Carson River ? haven?t tried it yet myself, but with a California license, you can find out. You can fly out to the restaurants in Minden or Bridgeport for breakfast if you don?t want to cook. And getting there is half the fun if you don?t usually fly around the Sierra ? gorgeous things to see!

We?re going to be there - plan to fly up about 10:00 AM on Saturday, and we?ll stay until we are ready to go home on Sunday. We?d love to have others join us ? post here or send us a note if you?re interested! There are ten sets of tie-down chains, and plenty of space to park more airplanes. Lots of room for tents in the beautiful woods. Bring your own water!!!

That's about as much organization as we plan to put in to this - it is what you make it. These kind of weekends tend to take on a life of their own - come and enjoy.

Who?s in?

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM

That is where my BFR instructor had me make my first landing after a 23 year gap in flying. Nice little strip in the hills. Watch for Deer, they are starting to migrate!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:29 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
That is where my BFR instructor had me make my first landing after a 23 year gap in flying. Nice little strip in the hills. Watch for Deer, they are starting to migrate!
You may not currently have an airplane Bret - but that doesn't mean you can't drive up and join us! It's what? A twenty minute drive from Gardnerville?
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-22-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
You may not currently have an airplane Bret - but that doesn't mean you can't drive up and join us! It's what? A twenty minute drive from Gardnerville?
I DO have an airplane, it's in my living room! And a 172 at Minden, might put put up there to say hi.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM

Sure wish I wasn't 1781 miles away! I like camping and this area looks beautiful!

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
? it is an easy flight of less than an hour from the Bay area, Central Valley of California, and just about anywhere in northern Nevada (It?s about 20 minutes for us).
Looks like 32 miles and 15 minutes for you; can y'all make that non-stop? Better bring along a piddle pack, just in case...
1875 hrs
Houston, TX
Old 09-23-2014, 12:12 AM

Paul, it is a nice area. I have been there many times. I will fly out there with you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Sure wish I wasn't 1781 miles away! I like camping and this area looks beautiful!
Flying N376E
Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 AM

We have a couple of PMs and appreciate learning who plans to go. I plan to bring my hammock and spend some time just relaxing in the pines. 😌
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 AM

Certainly is a beautiful area. I don't have a flying airplane yet, so I'll try to make it to the 2nd annual Alpine County Airport camping trip.
(started: Feb 2002 --> Completed: May 2016)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:05 PM

Rocky, it would be fun! I've been to the High Sierras back packing several times and really love that area. The other problem is that I have a business trip the same weekend. We really need to work at getting together to burn some gas!

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!