What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upholstery Version 1.2

BigD

Well Known Member
Version 1.1 was a fail early on due to measuring errors. There was a short-lived 1.0 but we won't even talk about that. This came out OK for a prototype, still see places where the pattern needs to be taken in just a little.

9rm8f5.jpg

2hp0gvo.jpg

Clearly needed some work on the corners around the crotch strap cutout. My first thought was, hey, I'm not going to use a crotch strap, so I can just buy some foam and fill that gap in for a straight seat front - easier to sew. While I still may do that, I wanted to figure out how to get better corners. Here's the next attempt with better measuring, cutting and relieving:

2dak8kp.jpg

Deciding how to close the bottom was another brain teaser - for this version I opted for overlapping flaps with Velcro. The real seats, when I get ready to attempt them, will have cloth in the center and vinyl around the sides and back, which should be a little easier to push around the sewing table than all vinyl, but that's what I had on hand. Anything to take a few days break from sanding fiberglass.

==dave==
working on ovhd console/cabin top
except when I'm not

Progress - version 1.5

Corners are better and the pattern is tweaked. Tried this one with a cloth seat and vinyl elsewhere. For those keeping track, 1.3 and 1.4 were fails due to more measurement error - can't forget to take the seam allowance into account. I suppose seam ripping is the cloth equivalent of drilling out rivets, and I'm getting better at that also. Seat backs are next...

25sq6o0.jpg

2zs7953.jpg

==dave==
Overhead console attached, time for more fill/sand.

Ready for Production

I'm pretty happy with this one, except for forgetting to backstitch the side seam:

vsp2ev.jpg

2r74uup.jpg

Now for the rear seat backs...

==dave==

I'm going to continue this thread in the interior section below (maybe where I should have started?). 1st draft of the rear seat backs is up...unfortunately the same day Geoff posted pics of his new headrests (with nice, tight looking covers on the seats).

==dave==

Back