What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Never too Old

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Last Saturday, 5/17 was the day I decided I was not too old to start building an E-AB aircraft. I started on my aviation career in 1954. Now at age eighty own a Temco-Globe Swift, and have commercial SEL, SES, MEL, and Glider certificates collected in 3,000+ hours during the intervening years. I have allowed my CFII rating to lapse. It was a hurdle to overcome the idea that I might be too old to start building a full scale airplane.

During the last three summers my wife, stepson and I completed a studs out remodeling of an apartment that is to be our summer home in Michigan. This year, contemplating how bored I?d be without some project, I came to the conclusion that doing an aircraft build is age independent.

I haven?t committed to the make and model of the build, but it likely will be an RV-7, tail wheel configuration. I?m just in the early stages of researching the project, and plan on attending the Airventure in July, armed with many questions.

The Swift is going up for sale,:( with the expectation that it may contribute to the build cost of the homebuilt.:) Currently the Swift is home in Florida. Next week we again bring it North to the Swift Nationals, and then up to 3DA, Flushing Michigan, six miles from our summer home.

A new adventure begins. Empinage this winter in Florida and QB wings and fuselage in the MI barn next summer.

Karl,

Welcome to VAF. I built a 7 and if I do another one, it will be a 12. Whatever you build, it's worth it. Enjoy

The older I get, the more I realize age is just a number. Our attitude toward life is what really matters. Welcome aboard the Good Ship VAF. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Step one

:) Vans shipped the RV-7 preview plans yesterday. I've been reading everything I can find about construction. Hope for a ride at Oshkosh.

Ride

:) Vans shipped the RV-7 preview plans yesterday. I've been reading everything I can find about construction. Hope for a ride at Oshkosh.

Careful. Those are expensive rides! Most end up in a purchase.:D
Actually, I would recommend a local ride so you can spend more quality time.

Last edited:
Hello Karl,

Welcome aboard!

I'm building an RV-6 not to far from you in Tecumseh, MI (south of Ann Arbor). You are welcome to come and have a look at the parts anytime. While the RV-6 is an older kit and not pre-punched, it will give you some idea of the scope of the project.

I'm also heading to Oshkosh to gather more ideas and get some inspiration, I hope!

The preview RV-7 plans arrived this week. The adventure begins.
photo003.JPG

photo001.JPG

The airplane factory and my wife, Dolly, soon to become "Rosie the Riveter".

photo002.JPG

The pole barn (That's Michigan talk for a large garage) is emptied in readiness.

Last edited:
Back