What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skin Crack Found on Rudder

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
My RV10 has about 60 hours on it and as we were reassembling the plane after paint, I noticed there was a hairline crack on the rudder skin. It is at the lower edge where the rudder joins with the bottom fairing. I chose to make my fairing removable with nut plates and screws rather than pop riveting it in place. The crack appears to be following the perimeter of the spar itself.

I post so that others are aware of the possibility of cracking in this location. It was quite difficult to notice it was even there. I resolved the issue by stop drilling it with a very small bit.

20140508_213106085_iOS_zpsf84c46da.jpg

20140508_213111252_iOS_zps8d1f2ca4.jpg

20140508_213123501_iOS_zps1478b6c7.jpg

Was that area ever damaged, maybe bent and straightened back out???

The way the crack is following the curve of the edge of the spar like it was sheared against the spar.

Is there a burr on the flange of that piece under the skin? If so, hours of vibrating against that burr looks like it fatigued that metal and cracked it.

Last edited:
Is there a burr on the flange of that piece under the skin? If so, hours of vibrating against that burr looks like it fatigued that metal and cracked it.

Or the dimple in the glass part was not deep enough and the portion that cracked was a little higher after assembly, stressing the skin...

The piece was never bent and straightened so that's not an issue.

No burr on the spar either.

The skin is pushed out a small amount by the fairing. However the dimple is fully set in the fiberglass countersink.

Lost like it's just the geometry of the fairing that is put some stress on the area. I might see if I can sand down the fairing flange to eliminate some of the thickness.

Back