What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (3-25-2014) Garmin G3X Products

Installation manual?

Hi Steve,

I am helping one of our chapter members replace a dead Blue Mountain system in his Glasair; and we are working with Stein. Turns out the new G3X Touch is about the same size as the Blue Mountain One that we are replacing. Stein will be making up an interface cable to go from the Blue Mountain connectors to the Garmin connectors. That is an over simplification but you get the idea.

A long winded way to get to the question; when will the installation manuals be available? I know you need time to catch your breath but we are hoping to get the Glasair back in the air as soon as possible.

Now on a selfish point, maybe I can get a good price on a used GDU370 to make my single screen G3X a dual screen :cool:

Last edited:
Can they drive a GMA 35 remote audio panel? Or will that still need to be done thru a GTN750?

Hello Ed,

Yes, you would still need to control a GMA 35 using the GTN 750 if you wish to install that audio panel.

Thanks,
Steve

Screen Resolution?

Hi Steve,

Awesome news! My waiting paid off. :)

Regarding screen resolution on the GDU 460 display, some documentation on the Garmin site mentioned 'WVGA'. This is only 800x480, the same as the GDU 370s (flipped 90 degrees). I imagine the GDU 460 would be at least double that. What is the actual resolution?

Also, panel cutout dimensions?

Is there an install manual online yet?

Thanks!
Russ

Hi Steve,

I am helping one of our chapter members replace a dead Blue Mountain system in his Glasair; and we are working with Stein. Turns out the new G3X Touch is about the same size as the Blue Mountain One that we are replacing. Stein will be making up an interface cable to go from the Blue Mountain connectors to the Garmin connectors. That is an over simplification but you get the idea.

A long winded way to get to the question; when will the installation manuals be available? I know you need time to catch your breath but we are hoping to get the Glasair back in the air as soon as possible.

Now on a selfish point, maybe I can get a good price on a used GDU370 to make my single screen G3X a dual screen :cool:

Hello Steve,

We hope to release the Rev. M G3X Installation Manual by next week, but if there is anything you need now, please email us and we will take care of you.

It does sounds like a great time for you to turn your G3X system into a dual screen with lots of used GDU 37X displays on the market!

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Awesome news! My waiting paid off. :)

Regarding screen resolution on the GDU 460 display, some documentation on the Garmin site mentioned 'WVGA'. This is only 800x480, the same as the GDU 370s (flipped 90 degrees). I imagine the GDU 460 would be at least double that. What is the actual resolution?

Also, panel cutout dimensions?

Is there an install manual online yet?

Thanks!
Russ

Hello Russ,

The GDU 46X display has a screen resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels.

If you email us, we can provide you with a panel cutout drawing in advance of the install manual being released. We also have some DXF drawings if you can use those.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I was thinking 1024 x 768 would be sufficient. 1280 x 768 is terrific!

I can wait a week for the manual. I'm just designing my panel right now.

Thanks!
Russ

RV-8A

Steve-

I just completed a massive upgrade and went all G3X. I have the following set-up:
GTN-650 NAV/COM
GTR-200 COM 2
GMA-240 AUDIO PANEL
GTX 23 ES TRANSPONDER
GDU 370 PFD
GDU 370 MFD
GEA 24 ENGINE MODULE
GSU 25 ADHRS 1
GSU 25 ADHRS 2
GMU 22 MAGNETOMETER
GTP 59 OAT PROBE
GMC 305 AP AFCS
GSA 28 AP SERVO
GSA 28 AP SERVO
GAD 29 ARINC MODULE
GDL 39 3D ADSB MODULE

N411TWPanel03102014_zpsfa3a4df1.jpg

My question is can I swap out my GDU 370 PFD for a touch? Would it fit? Would it have compatibility? What adjustments need to be made? Thoughts? Thanks!

-Tim

Last edited:
Steve mentioned earlier in the thread that the GDU 370 is not yet compatible with the GDU 460 in the same panel.

Steve-

I just completed a massive upgrade and went all G3X. I have the following set-up:
GTN-650 NAV/COM
GTR-200 COM 2
GMA-240 AUDIO PANEL
GTX 23 ES TRANSPONDER
GDU 370 PFD
GDU 370 MFD
GEA 24 ENGINE MODULE
GSU 25 ADHRS 1
GSU 25 ADHRS 2
GMU 22 MAGNETOMETER
GTP 59 OAT PROBE
GMC 305 AP AFCS
GSA 28 AP SERVO
GSA 28 AP SERVO
GAD 29 ARINC MODULE
GDL 39 3D ADSB MODULE

My question is can I swap out my GDU 370 PFD for a touch? Would it fit? Would it have compatibility? What adjustments need to be made? Thoughts? Thanks!

-Tim

Hello Tim,

That is a really great system you have in your RV-8.

A single GDU 460/465 display would work very well in place of your two GDU 37X displays, but it doesn't look like you could fit a GDU 460, GDU 370, and radio stack even if the displays were compatible.

The GDU 460 will work great with everything else in your system if you want to install it.

The wiring would be very easy. Unplug your two GDU 37X displays, move a few wires from the MFD 50 pin connector to the PFD 50 pin connector, and your new display would be working.

For your system you would probably have to move the GDL 39 serial port wires from the MFD to the PFD connector. The new GDU 460 display has 6 serial ports so it can handle the serial load of two GDU 37X displays (3 serial ports each), but it doesn't look like you are using that much serial anyway.

Even the power, ground, backlight bus, and audio are the same, and it even uses the config module already mounted in your PFD backshell.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve-

N411TWPanel03102014_zpsfa3a4df1.jpg

-Tim

Tim, a side question: What exact model of switches do you have in your panel? They're nice and compact.

Thanks!
Russ

Those would be the Honeywell AML switches. A bit pricey, but very high quality with a completely separate circuit for lighting. The covers are labeled/engraved, and they can be mixed/matched with the LED bulbs for some nice dimmable results. They are our preferred rockers....

Cheers,
Stein

Congratulations Steve, a great announcement.

Would a Freeflight 1201 WAAS sensor be compatible with the G3X Touch and would the display advise which GPS approach is valid?

Thanks
Dick Sipp

Congratulations Steve, a great announcement.

Would a Freeflight 1201 WAAS sensor be compatible with the G3X Touch and would the display advise which GPS approach is valid?

Thanks
Dick Sipp

Hello Dick,

Thank you.

I am not familiar with the 1201, but I looked at an online datasheet and it doesn't look like it is anything but a WAAS GPS receiver. It is not an IFR navigator, so no, installing this would not provide any GPS approach capability.

Just a reminder that the GDU 460/465 have excellent VFR WAAS GPS receivers built into each display.

We extended our $3,995 special on the GPS 400W IFR navigator into 2014 (purchased with/for a G3X system). With this IFR navigator, not only can you legally fly enroute IFR and thousands of autopilot coupled precision and non-precision WAAS IFR approaches, but connecting the ADS-B out interface from the GSP 400W to your GTX 23ES 1090ES transponder provides a FAR 91.227 compliant position source that makes the ADS-B Out from your G3X Touch system compliant with the 2020 requirements.

We have all the bases covered with our fully integrated system.

Thanks,
Steve

Looking forward to templates

I'm just in the middle of planning a G3X upgrade to a 1990's six pack panel. I'll be anxious to see the templates for the G3X touch and figure out whether I can fit two of them in my panel.

Touch Screen Camera Control

Some have asked for additional information regarding camera control.

I updated the original posting this morning to show this image that shows the "Photo Taken" message that pops up after you touch the "take a picture" button on the right.

You can take a picture that is stored to the VIRB camera SD card at any time, even when recording a video. During video recording, a timer is shown in the camera control area between the buttons to indicate how long you have been recording.

PhotoTakenImage.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

AOA displayed on screen

Steve,
Can the aoa be displayed in the screen (like the afs units)as opposed to using the stand alone garmin aoa display?
Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

I think the advances in new technology are great, but can't help wondering when they will make the old fashioned VFR windscreen obsolete?

Steve,
Can the aoa be displayed in the screen (like the afs units)as opposed to using the stand alone garmin aoa display?
Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

Hello Tom,

Yes, like the current G3X system, AOA information is displayed on the PFD when the GI 260 remote indicator is not installed.

Thanks,
Steve

New Battery Backup Option

New Backup Battery

We also want to mention that the great people at TCW Technologies have developed another fine battery backup option.

TCWIBBS12V3AH.jpg

The brand new TCW IBBS-12v-3ah battery backup system uses a sealed Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (Li-Fe-PO4) battery and is being introduced with a list price of $230. The 3AH system weighs 1.1 lb and the aluminum enclosure is only 7.7" x 2.3" x 1.6", yet it delivers 5 amps maximum continuous current and 10 amps peak for radio transmissions and transient loads.

It has both an alert output that we use to trigger an "EMER BATTERY" alert on the PFD anytime the system is running from the backup battery and it has a battery voltage output that can be used for a full time readout of essential bus voltage on the EIS page. We installed one of these in the G3X Touch RV-12, and are pleased with the result. It is our understanding that Van's will include this system with all G3X Touch RV-12 systems.

We have one installed in a G3X Touch kiosk we are using at SNF next week if you want to see one in action.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry, couldn't find the answer here or on the website. But can the ADS-B traffic be displayed on the map? What about when your have the map as an inset?

bluetooth

I don't know if this has this but what would be nice is if the unit would bluetooth to the Garmin Pilot app. Then you could flight plan on the Ipad and just fly it into the EFIS. Also maybe use the Ipad as a backup display like the GRT efis does.

Sorry, couldn't find the answer here or on the website. But can the ADS-B traffic be displayed on the map? What about when your have the map as an inset?

Hello BHunt,

Yes, any traffic, including ADS-B traffic, can be displayed on the traffic page, in synthetic vision on the PFD, map inset on the PFD, split screen map, or full width map on MFD.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't know if this has this but what would be nice is if the unit would bluetooth to the Garmin Pilot app. Then you could flight plan on the Ipad and just fly it into the EFIS. Also maybe use the Ipad as a backup display like the GRT efis does.

Hello Touch,

At this time we are not supporting a wireless connection to Garmin Pilot.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Bill,

Yes, the new GDU 46X displays each have a Bluetooth interface that gives us a new tool to work with.

We can now support direct traffic and weather feeds from a single GDL 39/39R to multiple displays using a combination of wired (to one display) and Bluetooth to the other display(s).

We are doing this in the dual display RV-12 and it leaves one Bluetooth connection to the GDL 39/39R open for a mobile device running Garmin Pilot to use.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
You mention a wireless interface. Would that allow the Touch to display weather and traffic from my new Stratus II?

I think the advances in new technology are great, but can't help wondering when they will make the old fashioned VFR windscreen obsolete?

You will need the windscreen to have something to look through as you peruse the HUD, which likely will be available with the G3X Voice (a voice actuated follow on to the Touch).

Steve,
You mention a wireless interface. Would that allow the Touch to display weather and traffic from my new Stratus II?

Hello CCCJBR6,

G3X systems do not interface to the Stratus, but there are many advantages to using a GDL39, GDL39 3D, or GDL39R dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receiver with your G3X system.

The G3X system shares pressure altitude (for traffic target vertical separation determination by the GDL39), GPS data (so the GDL39 doesn't have to have a GPS antenna or reception), and aircraft ICAO address (for better ownship determination).

You can remote mount any of these 3 GDL39 models and still have great performance and BT support for tablets and phones.

Thanks,
Steve

....At this time we are not supporting a wireless connection to Garmin Pilot.

Steve

Might I suggest this is an avenue you should pursue? Many of us tandem drivers would find great utility in porting the PFD display into the tablet in the back seat.

Great idea.

Hello Touch,

At this time we are not supporting a wireless connection to Garmin Pilot.

Thanks,
Steve

:(:(

Might I suggest this is an avenue you should pursue? Many of us tandem drivers would find great utility in porting the PFD display into the tablet in the back seat.

Gotta agree with Mike about this, would love to see all the EFIS manufactures do it. Flight plan at your leisure in the house, jump in the plane and the EFIS has the data just for the taking.

That would be a sweet setup for sure----------

I know GRT, Dynon, AFS also monitor this website----------wonder who will be the first to offer it???

Last edited:
Two questions:

1: Will the new G3X still support a VP-X system? If so, do you have any screenshots?

2: Checklist support?

Two questions:

1: Will the new G3X still support a VP-X system? If so, do you have any screenshots?

1. I have the 370 screens, but I can't imagine they would remove VP-X support. Just getting flying, but am really impress with the VP-X and G3X.

2. Current G3X has checklists. Garmin has a checklist editor for download, if you put a checklist file on the SD card than it displays the checklist option.

Do you need to keep the SD card inserted to use checklists or can they be uploaded into the G3X and the card removed?

I'm impressed more and more with the advances over the past few years in glass cockpits for EAB aircraft! The G3X touch and large screen is sure a strong competitor to Dynon and GRT with a few others.

My question is to confirm what I've read and concluded regarding IFR and these panels. With everything out now including the G3X Touch, in order to fly RNAV IFR approaches, you would still need a TSO'd / WAAS approved GPS correct? And that would come through a stand along panel mount GPS, such as GTN / 430W?

I'd love to have a panel with just the EFIS (like a G1000) but not pay the astronomical price of the G900 setup.

My question is to confirm what I've read and concluded regarding IFR and these panels. With everything out now including the G3X Touch, in order to fly RNAV IFR approaches, you would still need a TSO'd / WAAS approved GPS correct? And that would come through a stand along panel mount GPS, such as GTN / 430W?

I'd love to have a panel with just the EFIS (like a G1000) but not pay the astronomical price of the G900 setup.

You are correct in the fact that currently all of the current experimental EFISes (AFS, Dyon, GRT, Garmin, etc..) with their associated GPSes are not legal IFR GPSes; therefore we usually recommend a TSO 146 box like the 430W or GTN series (or Avidyne or King KSN, etc..) - though there are other ways to go about the entire IFR thing as well.

Cheers,
Stein

Checklists

Do you need to keep the SD card inserted to use checklists or can they be uploaded into the G3X and the card removed?

You have to keep the SD card inserted from what I understand. On boot it looks for the checklist file. You probably want to keep a SD card in the G3X anyway for Data logging. I just brought my SD card home to look at the logging and add some checklists last night. 64 columns of data logged in CSV format (readable by excel) covering everything the EFIS knows. From position, time, temperatures, to trim positions, airspeeds, ground speeds, accellerations in all 3 directions, to door and stall sensors (if wired to G3X) once a second.

It was interesting looking at the data today from my first 2 flights, Stall warning went off at 61 knots on my first flight, 59 knots on my second flight. Have not done anything to calibrate it yet (have not even stalled the plane yet), but that is just about where it should be. Don't even remember hearing it on the first flight :)

Since you can get a SD card for just a couple bucks its easy to just leave it in.

Manual says a 2 gig card will log 1000 hours + have room for checklists.

I bet you would find that you get everything that a G900 has, and probably more with the frequent updates of the G3X/Skyview/AFS with any of them and a GTN650. Can you put video in into a G900.... I have not looked recently, but I think not.

Two questions:

Hello Ed,

We are getting behind a bit here while attending SNF, but having a great time talking to customers.

Yes the GDU 46X touch screen system supports VP-X and Checklists just like the GDU 37X based system. No extra charge for either feature. Just like the present system, your customized checklists reside on an SD you insert into the display.

Thanks,
Steve

Whew! I would have had to go with the small screen G3X's if the Touch hadn't supported the VP-X. I have my G3X Touch on order with Stein already. :)

As another mentioned, would love to see screen shots of the VP-X page on the Touch.

What a great system!

I spent over an hour today at SNF with Matt Burch showing me the features of the new G3X Touch. As good as it looks in the photos, it is much better in person. The display is beautiful and the operation of the system is direct and intuitive. I'll bet the first space shuttle did not have some of these capabilities. It is amazing how much functionality this thing has for such a reasonable cost.

I am about to hang the engine on my 8A and it is time to build the panel. This could not have come at a better time.

G3X Touch video

Are you aware of anyone who provides a FLIR or low-light camera that is compatible with the composite video input?

Back