Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Sounds levels in an RV cockpit

Hi All,

Today, for fun, I used a sound meter app (Decibel 10th by SkyPaw) on my iPhone to measure the sound level in my -4. Much to my surprise, the sound level averaged 96dB with a peak of 99dB. I had expected a value in the 80's... (Thank God for Lightspeed headsets) Has anyone else measured sound levels in their cockpits?

For comparison purposes, my -4 has an IO-360, 4-pipe Vetterman exhaust, and no sound proofing. I was running 23-squared while I held the meter (phone) at chest height during the measurement.

Thanks,
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pichon View Post
Hi All,

Today, for fun, I used a sound meter app (Decibel 10th by SkyPaw) on my iPhone to measure the sound level in my -4. Much to my surprise, the sound level averaged 96dB with a peak of 99dB. I had expected a value in the 80's... (Thank God for Lightspeed headsets) Has anyone else measured sound levels in their cockpits?

For comparison purposes, my -4 has an IO-360, 4-pipe Vetterman exhaust, and no sound proofing. I was running 23-squared while I held the meter (phone) at chest height during the measurement.

Thanks,
I didn't measure the decibels but I flew recently for several hours without my comfy carpet/leather interior. It's is so much noisier without the interior.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 PM

91~92 in my RV7 Tipper with no insulation on firewall or side panels
Old 03-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Cool app. I will try and report back. Do you think airspeed plays a big factor or more so the motor ? Sometimes when I get above 190mph it keys my mic so maybe for consistency airspeed and MP/ rpm should all be considered.

14 build working on wings
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Some of those phone app sound meters can't read above 90 Db or so.
I bought a hand held Db meter off epay that reads to 130 Db, and my RV-8 is pretty loud inside.
I measured 114 DbC at about face height. I have a loud Turbocharged Mazda Rotary engine, but this was taken after I installed a muffler, which really toned it down.
I have no interior upholstery, save for Oregon Aero seats and stick boots.
At the time, I had not installed any weather stripping around the back of my canopy skirt.
The sound readings I've taken were initially DbA, until someone said I should be using the C scale, which reads a higher number.
At a medium cruise power I had a 119 DbA reading before the muffler was installed.
Dean, perhaps your Skypaw does not read above 99 Db? It might actually be louder in there.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM

I suspect that it is not keying your mic. It is probably opening the squelch circuit in your inter com. Tighten the squelch circuit up or try it in pilot isolate mode only and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 AM

I would question any of the smartphone apps. I've tested a few and none of them would report above 96-98 dB.

I tested my airplane, lawn mower, chainsaw, and my large belt sander (I wear hearing protection with all of these). No matter how close I measured, they all reported a peak that carried between 96-98 dB.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM

We got given vouchers for noise cancelling headsets at work for some touchy feely human remains edict. Not that an Airbus needs them !

I tried them in the RV.

....... When you buy a Ferrari, one of the attractions is that when you launch, it makes a glorious noise - when you drive through a tunnel you down shift just to hear it howl.

When I open up the RV - nice and slow - it just sounds most excellent.

Why would I spoil that with noise cancelling headsets ?

They went on eBay

Donated in 2021
Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post

Why would I spoil that with noise cancelling headsets ?

They went on eBay

Then you used money on gas I know those tricks

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM

Default Hearing

Mike,
Your response is unbelievable!

Let me tell you why you should use noise cancelling. After years of building fying aircraft, riding bikes etc, I started to get tinnitus about 15 years ago. My hearing started to deteriorate about this time. I have now lost the top range of my hearing.

Hearing conversations in crowded rooms is almost impossible, When watching TV I miss most of the dialogue. Telephone conversations are very difficult. Do I regret not protecting my hearing more......you know the answer.

I suspect at some stage it will be hearing that prevents me flying. If you do not want to be like me with two hearing aids [costing2k] protect your hearing.....especially in an RV....they are very noisy and will damage your hearing!

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)