Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 04:11 PM

Default Lets promote professionalism...

among the RV pilot population.

Though none of us may agree with every single point he makes, I am sure most of us can agree with most of them.

THIS recent write-up by AVweb's John Deakin should be required reading for all pilots, but I think it is especially important for RV pilots because we often get stereotyped as a group.
Possibly the biggest impact (positive or negative) is our ramp presence, since this is when we are the most up close and personal with other members of the pilot community.

Nothing frustrates me more as a pilot when I see someone doing something total rude or stupid in an RV... I swear I can almost hear the "there is another one of those yahoo RV pilots" mutterings all over the airport.

Please take a few minutes to read the article. As a group, if the suggestions suggested are followed, it could go a long way towards improving our perception by the rest of the pilot community.

Anyone else agree?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

At last years homecoming, I watched more than one plane taxi in to the parking area, power up and kick the brake to swing the tail around, so they could push back into a spot. Blasted planes big time with the prop.

And, even saw a couple start up and taxi out from the parking spot........Just drop the chains and hop in the plane

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM

The most common issue I see is people in heavier singles or light twins (almost never the RV crowd) who stop at the pumps, take their sweet time filling up, then climb in and go through the long version of their startup checklist and taxi out, even if another plane is idling waiting to pull up to the pumps. Even worse I see them leave the plane there and go into the bathrooms, although not as often with a plane waiting. I usually ask if I can help them pull it away from the pumps for startup, but they often say they'll just startup and taxi out. I understand it from a king air, but for a 172 or bonanza, etc, that's just flat rude.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 PM

Default I'm with you

Quote:
Anyone else agree?
Yes! Just the other day a Lancair taxied onto the ramp in front of my open hangar doors (and car parked in front), stopped, apparently decided he was on the wrong ramp, added a LOT of power, and (you guessed it) turned so that it blasted my hangar and car instead of the open field just opposite.

I have to wonder where some pilots get their license... Do instructors not teach some of these basic things?

A little thoughtfulness and courtesy go a long way at the airport!
Garmin Panel - All touchscreens
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Anyone else agree?
In a word, YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmel View Post
... Do instructors not teach some of these basic things?
In a word, NO!

When I got my PPL, I'm sad to say, my home field was a Navy master jet base. All my cross countries were to old rural airports with not much in the way of aircraft parking to worry about.

It wasn't until several years later, I began learning, the hard way, about taxiing and parking at busy GA airports. I (I'm sad to admit) once taxied a T-34 mentor past Beaver with his cowl off and a mechanic (probably pilot/owner) busily working on that big old radial. I went past, and stopped at the pump with a pedal turn away from the Beaver, never realizing that I'd blasted the guy, his plane, and the cowling laying on the ramp.

He walked up and chewed my AR$e out big time. I apologized profusely and asked if there was anything I could do to help. I knew what I did was wrong as soon as I did it. But, there was no consoling the guy. I never saw him again. To this day, I wish I could tell the guy again how sorry I am for blasting that beautiful old bird.

Prior to this, My knowledge of line etiquette was in a word "spotty". But, I felt so bad, I went back to my favorite club CFI and had a serious chat. I don't fly a lot. Especially now that I'm spending so much time trying to get my own airplane built. But, every once in awhile, I still come across a situation where I'm just not sure what would be the polite thing to do.

[rant]I think a little "professionalism" in GA is a good thing, on the ground and in the air. But, I think it should also extend to how you react when someone does something not "professional".[/rant]
Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 PM

I once visited a guy in his hangar and he didn't even offer me a beverage out of the fridge. Come on people, let's remember the basics.
=VAF= donor 2021
Old 03-14-2014, 11:44 PM

Default What Gash said

Yah what Gash said.
RV 8 Fast back built and sold
RV 10 Building
Dues paid 2022
Dan "Nordo" West
Old 03-15-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I once visited a guy in his hangar and he didn't even offer me a beverage out of the fridge. Come on people, let's remember the basics.
...... you probably blew dirt in his hangar while you parked........

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Forum Peruser

Another problem is exhaust fumes. I recently had the experience of the RV-8 pilot next hangar sitting in his idling plane on the ramp while he was fiddling with his EFIS. His prop wash wasn't a problem as he was some distance away but his prop wash WAS appointed toward my hangar and I had to step outside my hangar to get some fresh air.

When he shut down we had a nice conversation, he apologized, and he said it wouldn't happen again.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Default etiquette

Did you then offer him a beverage out if the fridge?
RV10 sold (miss that one too!)
RV-14A build underway