- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Still in Fantasy Land

I know it?s true, but I still cannot wrap my mind around the idea that when I?m finished with my -8, I?ll be able to do things I?ve never been able to do before. I?ve been building for 5+ years and fantasizing about the end result all along, but even though I can see the light at the end of the tunnel it still doesn?t seem real.

Apart from the recreational aspect, as a sales/project manager in the fire sprinkler industry, I have many projects that are a pretty good distance from home, many of which require an overnight trip just to get my eyes on a site for maybe an hour. So I?ve been running these little scenarios for years now and even though I should be flying by summer, it still feels like fantasy?..

I?ve done this little trip or others just like it many many times in a car. While it certainly CAN be done out and back in a day (a really long one), it just isn?t any fun, so I tend to overnight it. Man, what a waste of time.
So tell me, is it true? An hour out and an hour back? Is it really really true?

Signed,
Trapped in fantasy land

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM

When we were building, my wife gave me a big map of the use, which I mounted on a section of a Van's packing crate. I then put a string attached to an eye hook center in two hour circles. That really changed her idea of time and distance.

She would walk into my shop and start playing with that string and all the places we could go in just a few hours. Talk about a motivator!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Closer to 45 minutes if you just go straight across
Old 12-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Default More good news

I remember doing the same dreaming as I built the Doll. I drilled the first hole in the fall of 1997 with the goal of flying to Oshkosh 2000. Two years and seven months later I was flying her everyday so as to fly off the twenty five hour restriction in time for the Oshkosh departure. The day the wife and I left for AirVenture was the first time the Doll flew outside of the restricted airspace.

The trip to the big show went off with out a hitch. I believe there were only three RV-8s there that year. It was like driving the first C7 Corvette in town!

Now for the good news. Thirteen and a half years later, it still thrills me to fly her. I have made several non-stop trips between Oshkosh and my home field, 52F, (between Denton and Fort Worth) in as little as 4:40. Now think how long that would take to drive!

These are amazing airplanes. Stay in fantasy land, and keep pounding rivets.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2021
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman View Post
Closer to 45 minutes if you just go straight across
I grew up in mid-Michigan and learned to fly there. One thing that was drilled into our heads was to NEVER fly across the lakes. 20 years ago I moved to the Carolinas and the locals tell me NEVER to fly over the mountains.

While I have no fear of the mountains, I still don't like flying across the lakes.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetail88 View Post

Apart from the recreational aspect, as a sales/project manager in the fire sprinkler industry, I have many projects that are a pretty good distance from home, many of which require an overnight trip just to get my eyes on a site for maybe an hour. So I’ve been running these little scenarios for years now and even though I should be flying by summer, it still feels like fantasy…..
It does indeed mess up your time/distance perspective. I recall getting used to the way the RV-6 devoured mileage when I started flying it in 1999. First return trip from S-N-F in 2000 I was putting the plane back into the hangar before lunch and was dumbfounded that I had eaten breakfast in Lakeland (ten hour drive). It was a bit disorienting.....and thrilling to think I had covered that kind of distance in my homemade airplane.

I too have a huge chart on the wall of the hangar with one, two, and three hour rings drawn on it. Fifteen years later, even though many flights are now "routine", I often take a few minutes to reflect on what we are able to accomplish in the freedom of our USA aviation environment.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 12-19-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:52 AM

Default Business flying

Charlie, a RV8 friend flys all over Texas for his job. I think he has put 570 hours on his RV8 in 3 years. It has helped him a lot. He still flys for fun, when time permits.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Last edited by Jaypratt : 12-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Flew that route plus a bit from Clintonville to Grand Rapids.Just over two hours in my six. Could do it in just over an hour going direct but the view around the shoreline is great (and that water is really cold).Besides, I get another hour of flying in going the long way around.
Sure beats an eight hour Chicago traffic drive!
Built and maintaining a 1800' grass runway
LIVING THE DREAM!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Default over lake

live near holland mi. I agree over the lake would be hard to explain if you have trouble but i have crossed it several times my rational is on many trips i have spent hours with nothing but trees under me or other unlandable obsticales. i have to be able to see across the lake to cross it but i go around if i cannot. even if you have good visability but cannot see the other side the sky and the water blend and you have no horizon, i also wear a locator beacon around my neck and talk to flight service and give a pilot report when half way just so i am talking to someone during the time i would ditch if i had trouble. also fly high.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 AM

Default It's true!

I flew my new 7a from 8D4 (Sparta MI, near Grand Rapids) to KOSH for airventure in 1:14 wheels up to wheels down. I did go over the lake but that time included a climb to 12,000 feet, dealing with ATC, and flying the FISK approach into 36L. What a ride!

My rules for flying over the lake:

-Clear on both sides
-Life vest, on
-Lake crossing flight plan or IFR or flight following at the very minimum.
-Late in the season when the weather bouy in Lk Michigna shows +70 water temp.
-Absolutely no known issues with the RV.
-My self assesment is A+
-Risk management in every aspect is satisified.

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!