Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Default RV-8's over Kyle Field Today

At the Texas A&M and Auburn football game today we have the Freedom Flyers RV8 from Conroe, Texas for today's fly over.

[IMG][/IMG]

Excellent Fly-Over
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM

Default I wondered

I saw you guys land, taxing, and park at Easterwood today. I wondered why they had you over in the main terminal parking (and why landing right after the game was scheduled to start). Hope it went well.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Nice fly over.

Last edited by diamond : 10-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Flyover

That's awesome. RV's filling in for the military flyovers at high profile sporting events. What's next? Super Bowl?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Default N877TC

Call Easterwood ASAP if you haven't yet talked with them sine noon today.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:38 PM

Default Call Easterwood?

Louise, I was a member of that flyby. Are you saying we need to call Easterwood? Btw...the time over the stadium was at the end of the National Anthem, which was 11 minutes before kickoff, actually 1435 local. We landed within 5 minutes after that, so yes, we were on the ground before the game started.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Default No problem now

The one plane was left on a runway overnight and Easterwood wanted to open that runway up but didn't have the pilot's contact info. As the de facto RV driver on CLL, the ramp guys asked me to help find the pilot. I found his phone number on VAF! Sorry for any heart failures that my post may have caused!

(For clarification to other readers, Easterwood closed two runways yesterday to accommodate all the jets and planes that flew in for the game.)

Last edited by Louise Hose : 10-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Nice fly over.
Aggies never lose. But in sporting events we sometimes are outscored, or run out of time.

Great job, Freedom Flight!

- Jones, '87

Last edited by Low Pass : 10-20-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Freedom Flight

Thanks for all the nice comments. We all felt very privileged to be invited to do the flyby. It was a rare honor and we were really happy to participate. FYI...We were right over Kyle on the last note of the anthem. Timing was about as close as you could ever get it. It wasn't 49 RV's but it was sure fun for us. Kudos to those who participated in that monumental flyby. AMAZING!!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 AM

Default 1 hour prior to 1 hour after event end

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerward View Post
Louise, I was a member of that flyby. Are you saying we need to call Easterwood? Btw...the time over the stadium was at the end of the National Anthem, which was 11 minutes before kickoff, actually 1435 local. We landed within 5 minutes after that, so yes, we were on the ground before the game started.
The FAA held a safety briefing a few months ago, adjacent to KLVJ, and clearly stated these "Stadium TFRs" are effective from 1 hour prior to the start of the event and remain until 1 hour after event end.

IMHO it is unacceptable that Air Traffic Controllers, controlling a volume of airspace, may not have full control over, or be aware of TFRs in their airspace. During this briefing we were told that a tower controller directing you, while flying VFR, to enter their CLASS D and traffic pattern was not necessarily clearance to enter/transit a TFR within their CLASS D. During VFR Flight Following in Houston CLASS B I have inquired about an active "Stadium TFR" and the controller then had to check with someone, before his reply, that Yes Indeed, There is a current Stadium TFR.

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - sold