Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Default OK, I reluctantly joined the club today

That is, the drill THROUGH YOUR FINGER club. After the bit punched through the aluminum, I was surprised at how fast that bit goes through flesh. I stopped the drill, tried to pull it out, no go, with the years of drilling experience built in, I instinctually pulled the trigger full rpm and pulled it back out. If you look at the pic, you can see where it came out the top. OUCHY!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Your "Welcome Kit" is in the mail. It includes
  • Replacement Band-Aids
  • Disinfectant
  • A nicely embroidered patch that say "DOH!"

BTW, Congratulations on going this long without joining.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Too funny, while meeting builders through out the years the question would come up, so, how many times have you drill your finger? I would say never, What? Never? So now I know. WARNING to new builders, drilling into yourself is like riding motorcycles, ( It is not IF you will go down, It is when you will go down.....or drill yourself!)
Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM

Talking

Never drilled my own finger but did drill my partners finger once. I didn't feel a thing. I remember feeling o bad about I had wished it was my finger.

Needless to say, he learned to use a wood block to back me up.

Dan
Old 10-19-2013, 05:12 PM

I must be really lucky - I have built two planes and didn't manage to do this even once. However - I did manage to pinch my finger severely with a pneumatic rivet squeezer.

If forced to choose between drilling _through_ a finger or smashing the end of one almost flat I can't say which would be worse.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:14 PM

That's funny Dan, being a mechanic, I have accidentally hurt a lot of people, Hey, come here for a sec and hold this punch while I............it is all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Well at least it was only your finger. And a small bit.

I have always loved tools, and got a sears 1/4 110v drill for christmas as a teen. I was drilling . . something . . and with no workshop and squatting on the carport, I was holding the piece in my crotch. The bit went through and into my pants and wrapped up pants, underwear, and the loose man skin all together before it stopped. Remember the old drills just kept spinning after you release the trigger? Well no blood, but lots of pain and fear that someone was watching. Scared the heck out of me, and changed the future outlook for where the bit would end up.

RV-7

Last edited by BillL : 10-19-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Drilling and cutting hands is very common with me. If I don't have a few black lines on my fingers (grease in cut), that means I've been spending way too much time in the office checking AD's (or whatever else I do in there) lately. Welcome to the club
Old 10-19-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Well at least it was only your finger. And a small bit.

I have always loved tools, when and got a sears 1/4 110v drill for christmas as a teen. I was drilling . . something . . and with no workshop and squatting on the carport, i was holding the piece in my crotch. The bit went through and into my pants and wrapped up pants, underwear, and the loose man skin all together before it stopped. Remember the old drills just kept spinning after you release the trigger? Well no blood, but lots of pain and fear that someone was watching. Scared the heck out of me, and changed the future outlook for where the bit would end up.

Crapola.... That is scary, I have 1/2" Milwaukee that does that, no clutch, a lot of gear reduction and a spinning rotor with lots of inertia. Release the trigger and wreawwwwwwwwwwww.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 PM

I drilled into the meat of my index finger a couple years ago and had to reverse the drill to get it out. No accident for 4 years and I drilled through my middle fingernail 3 weeks ago drilling through rubber baffle material for the FAB.
Three weeks after...