- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM

Default Evergreen Flight Museum

So, Amanda and I traveled to Seattle for some business. We were so excited to go see the factory... see this little write up.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=104788

But we were actually on our way to go see the Evergreen flight museum.

OMG!! It is such a cool museum. We really wanted to see the spruce goose. It is amazingly large. It was such a pleasure to see it! But as an added bonus, there was an example of our airplane... a 6! (We actually have a 6A). It was a curious discovery because it is actually a 6.5 because it has a 7 tail. It is described as being serial number 1. In addition to that the SR71 is also there. Here a few pics and a link to all of the pics we took on that portion of our trip.

Here is a link to the rest of the album. Lots of pics of the museum!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1052402...eat=directlink

Enjoy!!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 PM

Default +1

My better half is not really into aviation museums, but she will happily attest that the Evergreen Flight Museum is probably the very best aviation museum we have visited, and well worth the journey from Aurora, should you be visiting Van's.
First flight 30 August 2018
RV-14A slow build ordered 21 June 2021
Brisbane.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 PM

Default Thanks for posting the photos

I would like to see it but absent that I'm glad you posted your photos. In 1947 The flight of the giant seaplane by Howard Hughes was in the news reels at all the theaters and I saw it at that time. I would like to see it in person but this is good.

Thanks,

Bob Axsom
Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 AM

It is indeed awesome!!

I was sick as dog the day I was there but it was still a great day.

All the museums I have seen in the USA are awesome.

The best three have to be Evergreen USAF (Dayton) and the Smithonian at Dulles. I am not sure which order to put them in, so they are all equally good.

The USAF Museum in Dayton OH needs a couple of days or even 2.5 so do not expect to just blow in and out. Dulles needs a day. Evergreen maybe half a day. So plan ahead.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Default Another unique opportunity

As a side note to any going to visit evergreen; If they still offer this, you can pay a little extra, I recall 6 or 8$ per person for a small group to get a "photo opportunity" on the flight deck. They allowed me to take as many photos as I wanted, including out of the hatch on the top of the fuse. There is even a hat, so you can sit in Howard's seat with his hat on. As a courtesy, I did purchase one of their photos, but it wasn't a terrible price. You can actually see the walkways into the wings from there. Well worth the price, if they still offer this. Ask them when you get there. It's an amazing museum.

KB

Last edited by tejasflyer : 10-01-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasflyer View Post
As a side note to any going to visit evergreen; If they still offer this, you can pay a little extra, I recall 6 or 8$ per person for a small group to get a "photo opportunity" on the flight deck. They allowed me to take as many photos as I wanted, including out of the hatch on the top of the fuse. There is even a hat, so you can sit in Howard's seat with his hat on. As a courtesy, I did purchase one of their photos, but it wasn't a terrible price. You can actually see the walkways into the wings from there. Well worth the price, if they still offer this. Ask them when you get there. It's an amazing museum.

KB
They still do that, but I think it is $25.

On the upside, while I was about to give them $40+ to get in, they asked me if I am a member of EAA. I didn't have my EAA card with me, but I did have my smartphone with me and logged into the EAA site, which they accepted as proof that I am a member. This allowed Amanda and me to get into the museum free of charge. :-)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Thumbs up Free

Also you can get free admission through your EAA membership -

http://www.eaa.org/passport/

Evergreen is a participating museum...

Having seen the Spruce Goose HK-1 in Long Beach several times, I think is looks much better in it's present Oregon home. With it surrounded by other planes you get a much better idea of its impressive size.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM

It should be on every aviators bucket list. It is a world class museum. I did all of the lighting, back in the day, and was granted permission to climb all around inside the Spruce Goose prior to the museum official opening. It is amazingly huge.

They kicked me out when I started making airplane noises and jacking the controls around while sitting in Howards seat....

A little known fact, the Museum building had to be re-permitted and partial construction stopped so the building could be moved over a few feet. This was to accommodate the position of the Spruce Goose so it's center line would be perfectly in-line with the F15 across the highway which was Capt. Michael King Smiths fighter, who the museum is dedicated to.

If you sit in Howards seat, you look straight out at the F15, which is about 1/4 mile away.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Default OK I Gotta Go See It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
It should be on every aviators bucket list. It is a world class museum. I did all of the lighting, back in the day, and was granted permission to climb all around inside the Spruce Goose prior to the museum official opening. It is amazingly huge.

They kicked me out when I started making airplane noises and jacking the controls around while sitting in Howards seat....

A little known fact, the Museum building had to be re-permitted and partial construction stopped so the building could be moved over a few feet. This was to accommodate the position of the Spruce Goose so it's center line would be perfectly in-line with the F15 across the highway which was Capt. Michael King Smiths fighter, who the museum is dedicated to.

If you sit in Howards seat, you look straight out at the F15, which is about 1/4 mile away.
OK I watched the Long Beach flight in the theater news reel shortly after it happened in 1947, I visited the Evergreen museum when it was located at an airport north of Tucson where I refueled one time in the 1980s and I worked on the F-15 at McDonnell in St. Louis in the 1970s, I feel an urge to bring it all together.

Bob Axsom
Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Axsom View Post
OK I watched the Long Beach flight in the theater news reel shortly after it happened in 1947, I visited the Evergreen museum when it was located at an airport north of Tucson where I refueled one time in the 1980s and I worked on the F-15 at McDonnell in St. Louis in the 1970s, I feel an urge to bring it all together.

Bob Axsom
That would have been Pinal Air Park (KMZJ)... Evergreen contracted with the US govt. and might have been part of this - from wiki -

Marana became the headquarters of all Central Intelligence Agency air operations during the Vietnam War years, when it was the primary facility of Intermountain Airlines, a wholly owned CIA "front" company which was used to supply covert operations in Southeast Asia & elsewhere. Intermountain was infamous for its thinly veiled CIA special ops which included development & use of the Fulton Skyhook, but its cover was its non-scheduled freight & maintenance operations. Marana was the principal continental United States maintenance base for Southeast Asia CIA operations including Air America and Continental Air Services.

It still has govt. connections with a NG base and this -

Pinal Airpark also hosts the U.S. Special Operations Command's Parachute Training and Testing Facility

However, it is still a public use airport, and is where the "black helicopters" come from...

http://goo.gl/maps/YjdCw
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 10-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.