What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arduino compatible controller (new thread)

automatic upload to savvy or other service

Vern, gents, gurus, quick question - when I finish a flight I take the USB stick out of my GRT, plug it into my laptop, drag the CSV files onto the laptop, log into savvy.com, and drag the CSV files onto savvy, and look at my data.

I heard Mike Busch say that he's planning to have a more streamlined way to do this for savvy, which will be great. I have no idea what it will be or how it will work.

Is this something that could be done with an arduino or even with your current project's HW? The part that seems "hard" to me is to get an arduino or pi or any other "computer" to act like a USB key. Just putting it out there for your consideration.

I think what you are looking for is a device that emulates a USB stick, but with built-in WiFi or BT to connect to an App on an iPhone that will connect to Savvy. In effect, a flight data recorder.

I was approached a few years ago to develop something similar to be located in the tail for a fleet of Hawker Hunters. Unfortunately, the customer was not willing to pay the development costs, so the project died.

It is quite feasible, especially with the new ESP32 processor being released later this year that supports USB OTG. The OTG function will allow it to emulate a memory stick and do all of this fancy stuff.

Although my instruments are capable of doing some of this (by storing streaming data), they lack the storage capacity for the data logs. Also, all of my attempts at contacting GRT over the years have failed, so I've been focusing on Dynon and Garmin. I hear rumours that GRT supports serial streaming that emulates what D/G supports, but I haven't had that confirmed. If it is indeed true, then that is a step in the right direction.

I do know a local Zenith/Sonex builder who is very skilled in programming, has been working with my instruments and is a loyal GRT customer. I will contact him for an update.

V

Last edited:
I think what you are looking for is a device that emulates a USB stick, but with built-in WiFi or BT to connect to an App on an iPhone that will connect to Savvy. In effect, a flight data recorder.

I was approached a few years ago to develop something similar to be located in the tail for a fleet of Hawker Hunters. Unfortunately, the customer was not willing to pay the development costs, so the project died.

It is quite feasible, especially with the new ESP32 processor being released later this year that supports USB OTG. The OTG function will allow it to emulate a memory stick and do all of this fancy stuff.

Although my instruments are capable of doing some of this (by storing streaming data), they lack the storage capacity for the data logs. Also, all of my attempts at contacting GRT over the years have failed, so I've been focusing on Dynon and Garmin. I hear rumours that GRT supports serial streaming that emulates what D/G supports, but I haven't had that confirmed. If it is indeed true, then that is a step in the right direction.

I do know a local Zenith/Sonex builder who is very skilled in programming, has been working with my instruments and is a loyal GRT customer. I will contact him for an update.

V
Thanks Vern. I had not heard of USB OTG - this will solve the problem! I'll start looking for devices.

After fighting component shortages, I finally received the Molex connectors I needed to hardwire the HuVVer-AVI units. Previously, had to run in WiFi mode to get SkyView data. Now, I have hardwired data plus stereo audio and a few other signals.

CDFBB742-486D-4FE2-AC0F-85F86E4196E8.jpg

huVVer-AVI Version 3.00 Software

I have just posted Version 3.00 of the huVVer-AVI device software and an updated QuickStart Guide here: www.vx-aviation.com/huvver-avi .

V3.00 adds a WiFi Manager for editing the WiFi credentials used to attach to the local (SkyView) EFIS or other huVVer devices to obtain streaming information, or to change the Over-The-Air (OTA) credentials for downloading new software.

Previously, you had to recompile and download new software to change the hard-coded WiFi information.

From the System Configuration Menu, push the MENU button:

IMG_1790.jpg

Using the < > BACK/FWD buttons, navigate to the WiFi Manager setting:

IMG_1791.jpg

Push the SELECT button and then the > FWD button to set the field to '1':

IMG_1792.jpg

Push the MENU button twice and the device will restart to the WiFi Manager screen:

IMG_1789.jpg

When done editing the WiFi credentials, select Save/Exit to restart normally with the new credentials, et voila!

And yes, all of the huVVer-AVI software does work on the M5Stack devices, albeit with a smaller and dimmer screen (and you need to provide 5V power). The only thing missing is the Back < button, but the software works without it.

Vern

p.s. Included in the new library are .bin files for downloading the new software using OTA to existing devices. You don't need the Arduino environment to do this. It's also handy if you have a bunch of devices mounted in your panel and don't have easy access to the USB ports. Yes, you can use your phone!

Last edited:
A couple of updates from the Chandler Skunkworks:

First, a minor update to the huVVer-AVI/huVVer-M5 libraries: I have added the wind vector to the Heading Indicator.

Second, an update on an old project: I have ported my autotrim sofware from the AVR/TEENSY platform to the ESP32 platform under Arduino. This uses a board I developed a couple of years ago (second photo). The original assembly language code was developed 10 years ago to run off the Dynon SkyView before Dynon released their autotrim/autopilot controller. It also runs the flaps.

I haven’t yet flight tested the new design, and I want to add a new ‘trim only’ altitude and heading hold function that will take over from a failed servo. That will take some time, since I am 3000 miles away from my airplanes right now.

D1C07BB9-A749-463A-8388-3979F17F374C.jpg

88A7B945-01BE-4496-BB94-67EC93EF70E2.jpg

VV

Not Arduino, but supporting device for OnSpeed installations. Multi-channel audio mixer based on a 15 year-old design. Updated to surface mount and can drive headphones directly, or connect to existing audio panels/intercoms.

It feels great to do analog design again (my first love).

IMG_1932-1.jpg

Vern,

Thanks for (re)designing this audio mixer for us!

The 3D audio feature in OnSpeed shifts the sound over to one ear when you get uncoordinated. It gets your attention right away, and is a very important feature for spin avoidance.
It's also useful for ground loop awareness in tail draggers. When the airplane changes course the tone shifts to let you know.

The problem is that most audio panels consider a stereo input to be music and will mute it during radio comms.

Vern's new board takes the amplified headphone output of the audio panel, mixes the OnSpeed stereo audio signal onto it and then outputs it all to the headphone. Problem solved!

Vern,

Thanks for (re)designing this audio mixer for us!

The 3D audio feature in OnSpeed shifts the sound over to one ear when you get uncoordinated. It gets your attention right away, and is a very important feature for spin avoidance.
It's also useful for ground loop awareness in tail draggers. When the airplane changes course the tone shifts to let you know.

The problem is that most audio panels consider a stereo input to be music and will mute it during radio comms.

Vern's new board takes the amplified headphone output of the audio panel, mixes the OnSpeed stereo audio signal onto it and then outputs it all to the headphone. Problem solved!

Nice! When will it be available on the store? Will it be here? https://store.makerplane.org

Nice! When will it be available on the store? Will it be here? https://store.makerplane.org

I am working with John Nicol at MakerPlane to take on this device. We have a long relationship in open-source avionics, and he's committed to supporting production of OnSpeed devices. He is also engaged with the Canadian Forces overseas, so he may be a bit busy right now.

The basic design provides three different product types, the AMX-2A, the AMX-4A (stereo) and the AMX-10A (combined mono/stereo). These are manufacturing variants, similar to the original devices designed many years ago.

Vern

Update on huVVer-AVI:

Release 4.00 of the device software is available now available here: http://www.huvver.tech/huvver-avi/ Existing installs can use the Over-The-Air (OTA) update function to load the software using the provided huVVer-AVI.bin or huVVer-M5.bin file.

New features:

-An enhanced Attitude Indicator with selectable unusual attitude recovery arrows and markers for +/-90 degree pitch to assist in aerobatics.
-Improved dimmer functions for night operations.
-Selectable serial port (supports USB, Serial1 and Serial2) for streaming input.
-Minor improvements to instrument displays to improve legibility.

VV

IMG_1945.jpg

[The maroon arrows indicate the direction of pitch control to recover from extreme attitudes. The circle with crosshairs mark the +/-90 degree pitch points.]

Last edited:
Stratux? etc.

Very interesting!
I was wondering if a Stratux could be used as a source... this could supply ADSB traffic, but there is also a gyro option for the Stratux that could supply info for an independent AI. And Stratux is WiFi...

Also, sorry to ask the obvious question - where do I find the "On Speed ADAHRS"? Kit I'm guessing, but I don't see it on the makerplane.org site.

Thinking of ways to ditch my electric standby AI gyro!

Thanks, Bryan

Very interesting!
I was wondering if a Stratux could be used as a source... this could supply ADSB traffic, but there is also a gyro option for the Stratux that could supply info for an independent AI. And Stratux is WiFi...

Also, sorry to ask the obvious question - where do I find the "On Speed ADAHRS"? Kit I'm guessing, but I don't see it on the makerplane.org site.

Thinking of ways to ditch my electric standby AI gyro!

Thanks, Bryan

We may will eventually support the GDL90 protocol, but we have the vast majority of AHRS installations covered by the Dynon/AFS/Garmin streaming protocols. We will also support the OnSpeed AHRS protocol for driving the energy display.

The reasons for choosing the protocols is that I have over a decade of experience developing various devices that use them. GDL90 will be a new development... not difficult, but will require some dedicated time and effort.

Of course, the huVVer-AVI software is open source and anyone can write a plug in to read a different protocol. That's the easy part. Ground validation and flight testing is the hard part. 10% writing code, 90% proving it works.

As for the OnSpeed box, check out www.flyonspeed.org to obtain prototype systems. Eventually, we hope MakerPlane will be the manufacturing source and one-stop-shop for production devices.

We may will eventually support the GDL90 protocol, but we have the vast majority of AHRS installations covered by the Dynon/AFS/Garmin streaming protocols. We will also support the OnSpeed AHRS protocol for driving the energy display.

The reasons for choosing the protocols is that I have over a decade of experience developing various devices that use them. GDL90 will be a new development... not difficult, but will require some dedicated time and effort.

Of course, the huVVer-AVI software is open source and anyone can write a plug in to read a different protocol. That's the easy part. Ground validation and flight testing is the hard part. 10% writing code, 90% proving it works.

Stratux also supports a web service which provides gyro data... which I don't believe GDL90 does. Some pro/con here... GDL90 would allow more traffic devices besides Stratux... but the Stratux WS has more info. Plus ADSB IN WX on a 2.4" display isn't likely to be really useful.

In my experience the Stratux AHRS is not usable. I have spent some time tinkering with a couple of different units with different GPS's and AHRS modules and would not bet my life on one.

The Appareo Stratus has a surprisingly good AHRS.

In my experience the Stratux AHRS is not usable. I have spent some time tinkering with a couple of different units with different GPS's and AHRS modules and would not bet my life on one.

The Appareo Stratus has a surprisingly good AHRS.

I have limited my development to known good (established) data sources. This allows me to focus on the representation of reliable data and not pioneering where others have more expertise.

Having said that, the work that OnSpeed has done in this area is very promising, and I am party to another development in this area.

The original purpose of the huVVer-AVI instruments was (a) to build low-cost back-seat displays for tandem aircraft, and (b) to provide a development platform for new instrument types (e.g. OnSpeed). This has morphed... I now have seven of these instruments mounted on the front panel of a side-by-side as a copilot EFIS (6 instruments), plus a glareshield OnSpeed energy display.

Without tipping my hat too much, I plan on using my OnsSpeed AHRS system as a backup source of flight data, with automatic switching between primary (Dynon/Garmin) data and OnSpeed data in the event of primary failure. Other sources (GDL90/Stratux/Stratus) could also provide backup information, but that's a project for a different day.

VV

Last edited:
...I now have a Beta version of the instrument code that incorporates a few more protocols:

-Dynon SkyView
-Dynon D10A/D100 ADAHRS
-Garmin G3X
-Garmin G5
-OnSpeed ADAHRS

I also have incorporated extensive data checking so that unprovisioned data is not displayed (since some of these protocols have missing fields).

The protocols are all auto-detected, no configuration required.

I have also incorporated an on-the-fly serial port selection. This allows switching to a back-up data source simply by holding a button down. It also allows switching from WiFi to serial port mode. This allows up to three streaming data sources: WiFi (from SkyView or another huVVer-AVI), Serial1, and Serial2.

There is also a CAN port, but that is currently not implemented. Technically, it could also be configured as a serial receiver for a fourth data source (but that is way overkill). Also, the USB port can be configured as a data source (good for testing).

This Beta version will be released to key customers in a couple of weeks, followed by flight testing, with general availability shortly thereafter.

IMG_1998.jpg

This screen grab shows the HDG information blanked out, and the altitude displayed in yellow to indicate that it is pressure altitude (also indicated by the PA in the units field. This particular incoming data stream does not provide indicated altitude, altimeter setting, or heading information.

VV

Last edited:
Note that a D10A connection will need an HS34 to get a spare serial port.

The D10A in my RV-9A uses the serial port to talk to a device that I made as a flaps overspeed alarm. It is the same port used to connect to the PC for software updates. Been running fine for 16 years. I have a schematic somewhere…. I will drop off next week. If you use an HS-34, it needs to connect to it.

V

Actually, I notice in this video you have exactly what I want to print!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKiw8o5jGM
We thought about making a 3D printed bracket for it, but the number of mounting possibilities people want to try would mean modifying the design for most installations. The simple folded sheet metal bracket that Vern used is much easier to customize to your application at time of fabrication. It's just a piece of .032 folded into a Z shape, with a standard 2-1/4" hole pattern on the vertical part.

It’s actually 0.063. The ‘hat’ on top is not required, has now been removed. Makes it an L-shape.

The back seat panel is also 0.063 for stiffness.

I used a hole punch, but CNC/waterjet will be more precise.
VV

Last edited:
Here’s my little CAD/3D printed mount.

Thanks for the awesome tech. Can’t wait to get a matching FlyOnSpeed box.

Attachments

• 90574ECB-8E46-4324-B980-9A7F0811CA8E.jpg
    90574ECB-8E46-4324-B980-9A7F0811CA8E.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 92
  • 893731A6-DCDC-4E3F-89C2-36D5B9C203FD.jpg
    893731A6-DCDC-4E3F-89C2-36D5B9C203FD.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 82
Here’s my little CAD/3D printed mount.

Thanks for the awesome tech. Can’t wait to get a matching FlyOnSpeed box.
That looks slick! What material did you use? And are you mounting it on top of your glareshield? If so, the unit is upside-down... The arrows are normally on the bottom of the display. :)

Serves me right for mounting it quickly to take a photo of my pride-and-joy! :eek: This is just Prusament recycled PLA for test fitting. I’ll find something more UV stable for the forever mount.

SL70/skyBeacon/tailBeacon/tailBeaconX Controller!

I have successfully implemented a huVVer-AVI based controller for the listed transponders.

It uses serial altitude from a compatible source, such as Dynon D10A, Dynon SkyView, Trimble, Icarus and possibly Garmin G3X (not tested). In general, it will work with any SL70 or Trimble formatted serial altitude.

It has only been ground tested with a tailBeaconX, so it is still at 'Beta Release'.

For those interested, it implements the SL70 transponder control protocol. Altitude information is received on one serial port, then this information and the appended configurable control information is sent to the transponder on the second serial port. The transponder then sends back status information which is used to update on-screen status and detect errors.

I can provide OTA (over-the-air) binary files for loading onto a huVVer-AVI for evaluation. Due to hardware limitations, the M5Stack is not supported. Documentation is forthcoming, but it is similar to the existing Flight Instruments software in operation.

Please send me a PM if you want to get on the evaluation 'List' for this code. More news at 11:00.

IMG_2201.jpg

Last edited:
Major update to Version 5.00 of the Flight Instruments library. Added Dynon D10A/D100 & OnSpeed streaming support!

IMG_2245.jpg

Now the huVVer-AVI devices support the Dynon D1x protocol and the OnSpeed display protocols directly. When using the OnSpeed data source, all altitudes are reported as Pressure Altitude, indicated in yellow.

www.huVVer.tech to download the new Version 5 software (either source code or Over-The-Air download version).

This is a major release, but most changes are 'under the hood'. Notable feature updates are:

- Added digit filtering to all instruments to increase legibility of number displays.

- Added TTL/RS232 polarity selection on serial ports, by choosing ports -1 or -2 for TTL input levels, or 1 or 2 for RS232 input levels. Note: This only allows TTL levels on the inputs, do NOT use the outputs.

- Can now switch serial ports on the fly by holding the Menu ([]) button down for 4 seconds. This switches between serial port 1 and 2 (but does not change polarity). It is intended to be used by the pilot when the primary source of serial data fails and a secondary source is available (such as the OnSpeed IMU).

- When operating in WiFi receive mode, holding down the Menu ([]) button for 4 seconds will turn off the WiFi and revert to the last serial port selected.

- Added selectable Velocity Vector indicator on Attitude Indicator. Works fully with Dynon Skyview and partially with OnSpeed (pitch only).

- Updated OnSpeed energy display in accordance with current OnSpeed development group revisions.

Cheers, Vern

Last edited:
After a couple of years in development, I have installed a complete backseat panel in my Rocket.

This panel uses three of my huVVer-AVI displays, a shop-made panel, three nutplates and a 12V power connection. Data is streamed wirelessly from a SkyView. Garmin Also supported with a wired connection.

OnSpeed energy display on front glareshield. SkyView providing wireless data:

Amazing work Vern! I'm planning to install flyonspeed in my 9A and would like to use this improved display.

May have missed it but I'm looking for a schematic showing the interface between the flyonspeed DB15 and the Huvver-AVI screen? Would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Here's a copy of my message to Kolg:

The audio connection to the OS IMU is detailed here:

https://www.huvver.tech/wp-content/uploads/AMX-10A_install_A4.pdf

Also, you connect the OS IMU EFIS TX pin to the huVVer-avi RX1 input.
Your EFIS serial output connects to both the OS IMU EFIS RX pin and the huVVer-AVI RX2 pin.

https://github.com/flyonspeed/OnSpeed-Gen2/blob/master/Hardware/aircraft_wiring_diagram.pdf
https://www.huvver.tech/wp-content/uploads/huVVer-AVI-3-Install-1.pdf

With this setup, you get all of the flight instruments, including the OS display, and the capability of switching between your EFIS data stream and OS Data stream as a backup.

Vern

Last edited:
Is the link supposed to go to this?

Attachments

• F5BBE0D2-0A74-4284-AB3C-7B990D6230EC.png
    F5BBE0D2-0A74-4284-AB3C-7B990D6230EC.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
Is the link supposed to go to this?

Yes, this is the enhanced audio mixer designed to support the installation of the OnSpeed system. It is a general purpose audio mixer, and it works to convert even mono audio systems to stereo or to add unswitched stereo audio to intercoms that automatically mute the (stereo) music inputs.

It is an enhancement of the legacy AMX-2A and AMX-4A/B audio mixers, combining both mono and stereo inputs into one device.

The application drawings cover most typical installations. I am particularly fond of the 'fail safe' application that can keep on ticking even if the external intercom or comm radio fails.

Vern

Back