What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra tank in RV-12?

diamond

Well Known Member
I'm just curious if it would be at all practical to put an extra 20 gallon tank in the 12? One thought would be to make the passenger seat removable so that you could put an extra tank there for those long x-country solo flights. Any ideas on this?

I can't see a problem with it as long as you do it in a safe manner. You could add a 40 gallon tank (depending on how much you weigh) and have a range of 13 hours, and or 1,700 miles. Hmmmmmm.

How far is the longest leg around the world?

Last edited:
here's an idea

I've been thinking about extra gas tanks for the RV-12 for a quite a while ... here's a product I came across at Sun 'n Fun in 2008.

Turtlepac ... click here. (Be sure to page down and see all the products)

Last edited:
re-engineer the fuel tank

I'm just curious if it would be at all practical to put an extra 20 gallon tank in the 12? One thought would be to make the passenger seat removable so that you could put an extra tank there for those long x-country solo flights. Any ideas on this?

I was wondering if you could re-engineer the fuel tank all together to increase it's capacity. The way it looks now you should be able to at lest doubly it to take up all of the back baggage area and in this way you would utilize the existing pluming and mounts.

Could something like this be done?? I would appreciate any comments from the forum.

By the way a light sport aircraft from South Africa did do a around the world trip on 09 with a Rotax 912 S http://www.airplanefactory.co.za/world/default.asp

extra fuel

Years ago I knew a guy who flew his Luscombe up to Alaska every summer. He liked the direct route (The Trench) so he carried extra fuel in the cabin. He strapped a pony keg into the right seat and had an old-fashioned bicycle pump mounted behind the right-side instrument panel so he could push the plunger a few times to move fuel to the main tank.

Hey, this would get you 8 gallons with minimal mods.

Jim
RV6A 0360/CS flying 550 hours
RV12 1/2 done, 7/8 to go

to increase it's capacity. The way it looks now you should be able to at lest doubly it to take up all of the back baggage area http://www.airplanefactory.co.za/world/default.asp[/url]

Hi Jim,

If you increase the fuel tank to 40 gallons and fill it with a normal 180 pound pilot you will be 1.5 inches behind the rear CG limit at takeoff and just a little forward of the forward CG limit when landing with 2 gallons of fuel.

I think any large quantity of extra fuel will need to be in the right seat area due to CG issues.

Best regards,
Vern

Forward CG?

Does this mean that in an unmodified plane the CofG is also out of range with a 180lb pilot and 2 gallons of fuel? If so how much fuel is effectively unuseable, because it is acting as ballast?

Does this mean that in an unmodified plane the CofG is also out of range with a 180lb pilot and 2 gallons of fuel? If so how much fuel is effectively unuseable, because it is acting as ballast?

Yes you have it right, but the simple solution is to have a tie-down kit in the baggage compartment would solve the problem, also being just a little forward of the CG limits is not as much of a problem as being down to two gallons of fuel when thinking about landing.

Best regards,
Vern

My initial idea was to make the passenger seat removable and replace it with an additional 20 gal. tank for long solo flights, and this seems doable. But now let me take it a step further. My calculations show that if I leave the passenger seat in place and take my wife along, we could stow an additional 20 gallons of fuel and still be within gross weight limits with 25 pounds to spare. SO with that in mind, I'm wondering if a custom 40 gal. tank could be designed to fit snug behind the seats so as to not violate CG limits. If this is possible, maybe that custom tank could be a molded material that is not prone to leakage, as seems to be a concern on the "fuel tank woes" thread. More thoughts on this?

Fuel In The Wings

A good friend of mine, who has enjoyed many pleasant hours in a TR-2, which is a late model Grumman American Yankee, has a marvelous idea. He claims that the RV-12 wing is the perfect candidate for fuel cylinders, similar to the TR-2, which could occupy the nice voids that the wing rib lightening holes provide. It would likely be very conceivable to carry up to 20 gal. in each of these wings, with just a little engineering. Any volunteers?? Yes, wing removal becomes more of a project, but surveys have indicated that the majority of us RV-12 guys don't plan of doing that on a daily basis.

Any Comments??

Tom

My initial idea was to make the passenger seat removable and replace it with an additional 20 gal. tank for long solo flights, and this seems doable. But now let me take it a step further. My calculations show that if I leave the passenger seat in place and take my wife along, we could stow an additional 20 gallons of fuel and still be within gross weight limits with 25 pounds to spare. SO with that in mind, I'm wondering if a custom 40 gal. tank could be designed to fit snug behind the seats so as to not violate CG limits. If this is possible, maybe that custom tank could be a molded material that is not prone to leakage, as seems to be a concern on the "fuel tank woes" thread. More thoughts on this?

The weight and balance would be similar in that you would be behind the CG rear limit with the 40 gallons in the tank, you would also have to spend most of the 25 pounds to make the extra 20 gallons of tank. Van's has limited the current baggage area to 50 pounds and the extra 20 gallons of fuel and the extra tank would weigh about 140 pounds so there would be a structural issue that would have to be checked to see if the structure could accept the weight in the baggage area.

The need to have the extra fuel would seem to be to go somewhere and if you take your wife and all the fuel you would have no room for any baggage and this could be a little inconvenient.

Best regards,
Vern

A good friend of mine, who has enjoyed many pleasant hours in a TR-2, which is a late model Grumman American Yankee, has a marvelous idea. He claims that the RV-12 wing is the perfect candidate for fuel cylinders, similar to the TR-2, which could occupy the nice voids that the wing rib lightening holes provide. It would likely be very conceivable to carry up to 20 gal. in each of these wings, with just a little engineering. Any volunteers?? Yes, wing removal becomes more of a project, but surveys have indicated that the majority of us RV-12 guys don't plan of doing that on a daily basis.

Any Comments??

Tom
Tom, you mean like these?

Exactly!!

Thanks Bill. I'm printing the description from your link and will go through it in detail.

Thanks

Tom

JerryG,

Seems your link to turtlepac no longer works. I'm wondering if you got any prices from them? Their website doesn't list any prices for the aviation bladders.

thanks,
greg

No way.

Tony

Last edited:
Fuel in the wings

Any Comments??

Tom

I think the best answer is to get vans to add an option of fuel tanks in the wings. This will put less stress on the wings and get the fuel out of the cabin.
It will also Keep the LSA Rating.

If van doesn?t do this I will and Go Experimental or Build two sets of wings.

Joe Dallas

high negative-G loads

I will and Go Experimental or Build two sets of wings
The RV-12 MUST be registered as experimental. Modifications to Experimental-LSA have to be done after certification, whereas Experimental-Amateur Built can be modified at any time. By "Go Experimental", I assume E-AB was meant, not E-LSA.
The RV-12 wings are probably strong enough to carry fuel internally while flying. If the wing tanks are full during a hard landing, the inertia of falling fuel will impose high negative-G loads on the spar-fuselage junction. An engineer should be consulted to determine if the RV-12 is strong enough to carry these loads.
Joe

The RV-12 MUST be registered as experimental. Modifications to Experimental-LSA have to be done after certification, whereas Experimental-Amateur Built can be modified at any time. By "Go Experimental", I assume E-AB was meant, not E-LSA.
The RV-12 wings are probably strong enough to carry fuel internally while flying. If the wing tanks are full during a hard landing, the inertia of falling fuel will impose high negative-G loads on the spar-fuselage junction. An engineer should be consulted to determine if the RV-12 is strong enough to carry these loads.
Joe

Mitch E-AB was meant. A normal landing has positive G-force on the wings until final rotation and the nose wheel has impact. (The fuel will affect the Positive force) A hard landing will Have negative G load applied to the spar fuselage moment. The arm of 3' and 100Lbs of fuel will add about 3 times the weight of fuel to this moment.
My Calculations have determined this is Feasible ( not shown). Vans is the first choice to determine this.
OR
An engineer should be consulted to determine if the RV-12 is strong enough to carry these loads.

Joe Dallas
www.joesRV12.com

Joe

One more thing the spar to fuselage is not as much a moment connection as it is a wing to wing Moment / Shear Connection. The spar takes the moment.

Joe Dallas

Last edited:
RV-12 Fuel Tank

For my purposes a flat fuel tank to replace Van's would be one that extended across the whole baggage area, and would 'use' that 50-lbs of baggage allowance to add 8-gallons of fuel, bringing the total to 28-gallons.
At 4.5 GPH that would give you slightly over 6-hours of flight, and if you figue 110 MPH, a range of 660 miles. That is a good 500 mile range with good reserve. Just perfect for me. The existing fittings could be used, and an all aluminum tank would be perfect.

Fabricators out there - let's start thinking !!!!

You could try CarolAnn and Carol's route around the world in a Mooney:

http://www.alsworldflight.com/

The home stretch from Cape Verde to Miami was a bit long too.

Or you could try Mike and James route in a D6 (LSA) Sling

http://www.airplanefactory.co.za/world/route.asp

Interestingly they increased the fuel capacity from 110 litres to 450 while only structurally reinforcing the landing gear to handle the additional weight (engine was a Rotax 912). Their longest leg was from Guinea to Brazil, 4044 km, 21 hrs. Too much adventure for me...

Last edited:
Back