What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Open Canopy in Flight

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I watched Van's presentation on the RV-12 on the EAA website. At one point he was asked how the plane would behave if the canopy opened in flight.

He said that situation hadn't been tested (`test pilots would only go so far!'), but he expected it would stabilise after it opened a short distance. At the same time it would alter the airfow over the tail, but the plane should remain controllable enough to land. (I think I've got that right).

I'm not suggesting anyone should try it, but I'd be interested in any experiences or opinions on this.

Robert

Last edited:
I watched Van's presentation on the RV-12 on the EAA website. At one point he was asked how the plane would behave if the canopy opened in flight.

He said that situation hadn't been tested (`test pilots would only go so far!'), but he expected it would stabilise after it opened a short distance. At the same time it would alter the airfow over the tail, but the plane should remain controllable enough to land. (I think I've got that right).

I'm not suggesting anyone should try it, but I'd be interested in any experiences or opinions on this.

In this instance, the pilot was attempting to lock the canopy and fly at the same time. Not a RV 12 though, but somewhat similar in design.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20100411X73253&key=1

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Robert

Would have been an excellent webinar question. Wish I thought of it. They may not have tested for it, but, maybe it happened to one of the demos. They issued the revision to the RV-12 canopy latch for some reason. Maybe the next time Van is back!!

See first post ...

What was the answer?:confused:

Van basically said they aren't sure what would happen because it hasn't been tested, but he thought the plane should remain sufficiently controllable to enable the pilot to get it down in one piece. At least that was my understanding of what he said.
Robert

I've taken off with the (slider) canopy not latched, it opened about 3" and could not be closed. Returned to field, landed, closed and latched the thing, and all was well.

That item was added to the before takeoff checklist and it has not happened since.

Checklists are and always have been a good idea. :)

Some time ago I think Van said you get to open the canopy one time in flight....

Last edited:
Accident history if replete with pilots losing control of their aircraft just after takeoff becasue a door/canopy/panel comes open. The problem usually is the pilot trying to close the offending door/canopy/panel while also trying to maintain control of the aircraft. If somethng like that happens, the answer is to let the offending item bang/flop/flutter and FLY THE AIRCRAFT around to a full stop landing. A couple of years ago, a guy took off in a Bonanza, the door came open and he crashed while trying to close the door. He should have left the door alone and just landed.
Some of you will recognize this:
Maintain Aircraft Control
Analyze the situation
Take the proper action

I've taken off with the (slider) canopy not latched, it opened about 3" and could not be closed. Returned to field, landed, closed and latched the thing, and all was well.

That item was added to the before takeoff checklist and it has not happened since.

Checklists are and always have been a good idea. :)

Some time ago I think Van said you get to open the canopy one time in flight....

I also have a short abbreviated "before takeoff" checklist.......... that has the line "canopy locked". It's laminated and contains several proceedures that have been skipped, as well as the normal flow of a few others.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

During my Phase 1 I took off with my tip-up open to see what would happen.

As I had read of a number of people before me doing this, I felt it was a safe test.

The canopy floated open about 2 to 3 inches and that was it. Once I was altitude, I slowed down, deployed the flaps, and was able to close it in flight. DO NOT attempt to close your canopy close to the ground, just let it float, the RV-9 tip-up (I don't know about the 12) was perfectly controllable with the canopy open.

Note, I did not impose any side loads on the airplane with the canopy open.

Accident history if replete with pilots losing control of their aircraft just after takeoff becasue a door/canopy/panel comes open. The problem usually is the pilot trying to close the offending door/canopy/panel while also trying to maintain control of the aircraft. If somethng like that happens, the answer is to let the offending item bang/flop/flutter and FLY THE AIRCRAFT around to a full stop landing. A couple of years ago, a guy took off in a Bonanza, the door came open and he crashed while trying to close the door. He should have left the door alone and just landed.
Some of you will recognize this:
Maintain Aircraft Control
Analyze the situation
Take the proper action

I have, in fact, had the door open in flight in a Bonanza. No biggie, just ignore the noise and land. My transition instructor impressed upon me that one day the door might not properly latch and would pop open; he advised that I "JUST FLY THE AIRPLANE" and land, because you can not close it in flight.

He was right. Try as I could, I could not close the door in flight, even with my wife's help. We landed THEN rectified the problem.

It helps to get used to having a door open in flight to desensitize yourself to it the first time it happens unexpectedly.

My parents' Cessna 190 used to regularly pop the door open when you reached the top of your initial climbout after take off. Reduce power and push the nose over, and the door would open. It became SOP for my dad to put in enough rudder that I could push the door open a little further, and then give it a jerk to pull it closed. It wouldn't open on its own any other time in flight.

Also, I used to skydive, and the Cessnas we used had jump doors that opened up not forward. When they opened, they would make a horrible "bang" against the underside of the wing. And if the jumpmaster opened the door when you weren't looking, you can be sure it got your attention. But you get used to these things... :)

Back