What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Riveting

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I tried to search this and didn't find anything. The instructions for riveting the lateral part of the aft spar says to build a special bucking bar. Or, order MS-316 rivets.

I was looking at this and wondered how many people actually made the bucking bar and riveted there vs. those who used the blind rivets. I'm not sure what to make the bucking bar from. Certainly looks like the blind rivets--while not as cool looking--are a more practical approach.

What's the group experience?

I bought the bar from Cleveland for the elevator rivets, but it has quickly become one of my favorite bucking bars. If there is room, the long length allows you to use two hands and helps you keep the bar perpendicular to the rivet.

Problem solved

Thank you. I should have realized that some enterprising company would make one. Anyone just going with the pulled rivets?

Michael,
I bought the special bucking bar. I don’t think I gave it away. Next time I’m out to LVK I’ll see if I still have it, and if so, see if I can slip it between your hangar doors. I’d like it back when you’re done. PM me, or post here, your hangar number at LVK.
Bob

I also have one you can borrow if you’re ever near KOAK or I live in pleasant hill and could bring it home if Bob can’t find his.

The "special Bar" is easy to make out of a piece of 2" X 5/8" X 12" steel (3/4" thick will also work) and an angle grinder.

The grinder is cheap from HF. If you have a steel supplier nearby that is a size that can be generally found in the 'cut off' box for cheap.

I made a number of special bars this way during my build.

There is a third option: you can buy a very long yoke (5 5/8) and squeeze the rivets. This is what I did.

Back