What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten cs-8 sticks.

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi,

Has anyone installed the tosten cs8 using the factory sticks without the grips hitting the bottom of the panel?

Do you need to get the tosten sticks? $100 is ok but shipping down here is the killer due to the weight.

My tosten stick barely hits the panel as it gets to full stick forward. The elevator has hit the stops just before. Thought about doing something about it but not sure what it would achieve.

I originally went with cs8 but couldn’t make it work even with the offset bushings. I opted for the military grip sans the bells and whistles and still had to use he offset bushings to keep from hitting the throttle and switches. I suggest giving Kevin a call to talk it over. He was beyond accommodating and even did an exchange and re-wire at no charge.

No issues hitting panel with Tosten sticks with CS-8 in my RV-14A. I prefer these over the shorter Van’s sticks. Just curious how folks are using the the two push buttons, I haven’t assigned mine yet.

I am thinking i'll probably go with a G3X system incl GAD27 and was thinking switch functions as follows:
Trim Hat - pitch and roll trim (to the GAD27)
Trigger - PTT
Index (below trigger): Smoke on (to a relay deck)
Left Button: Go Around (to the GMC507 Autopilot Controller)
Right Button: AP DISC/CWS (to the GSA28 Servos) (maybe even try and paint it red).

There is also the motor disconnect function of the GAD27 but not sure this needs to be on the stick - maybe a panel switch for this? (Trim/Flap Enable?) Or just rely on the circuit breakers if the trim and/or flaps had a run away?

simple

I made both the left and right top buttons the same: autopilot disconnect. If one choses to make them different functions, I would make sure the two functions don't cause problems if they are confused; this is why I made them the same function.

So AP disconnect and go around may be a problem since if you hit the wrong button, you will get a surprise. I chose not to put go around on the stick but rather the panel. because if I am going around with a button push, then I have auto pilot engaged and I don't want to be touching the stick. JMHO. YMMV

Last edited:
. I chose not to put go around on the stick but rather the panel. because if I am going around with a button push, then I have auto pilot engaged and I don't want to be touching the stick. JMHO. YMMV

That's an interesting thought - i had assumed the autopilot would disconnect when you pressed TO/GA but i see in the G3X Pilot Handbook it will stay engaged if a "minimum airspeed" is configured.

Maybe the top 2 buttons could be:
- AP DISC/CWS
- Smoke on?

Then the front index button could be either used for TO/GA, or maybe something else and a panel mounted TO/GA used.

With a panel mounted TO/GA, does this work for those who have used it? Is there any issue with the time it takes to get the power in before you click the button? (in other aircraft i've always pushed the TO/GA button first then added the power in).

I have my TO/GA on the panel right above the theottle so I can push it as I advance the throttle using the same hand.

The top buttons being snoke and ap disc will work. You peobably wont be on autopilot if you are doing smoke. And if you hit smoke instead of ap sisconnect all you will do is make the tower go IFR temporarily.

Trent Stewart: On my last RV-7 with the Vans Stick's and installing the CS-8, I and several others have had to cut about 2" off the top of the Van's stick's to make it clear of the panel keep in mind the aileron and Elavater stops. You certainly can't get your certification if your CS-8 sticks to the panel. As for the Toston CS-8 I think they are the best they fit well with either hands while you are flying.

Smoke Button

Just reviving this old thread to see how people worked a smoke pump using the tosten grips - since the buttons are all momentary, do I need some kind of latching relay setup?

Trent,

I have a smoke on/off function using the momentary switches in my Tosten grip. I am using a latching relay to do this. You are on the right track!

So in order to use the tosten buttons - I came up with this. Basically a DPDT on-on-on (Honeywell 2LT1-10) progressive panel switch where “arm” allows the latching relay to control the main smoke pump relay, and “on” controls the main smoke pump relay directly.

Ignore the solenoid wiring. That’s a secret. :)

Humbly requesting feedback.

Attachments

• C5E1DE60-56CC-4A70-9DD0-8573984E69BD.jpeg
    C5E1DE60-56CC-4A70-9DD0-8573984E69BD.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 67
Back