What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon system

Davea320

Well Known Member
Received some boxes from Advanced Flight the other day and am looking for some examples of mounting locations. Specifically the SV-ADSB-472 box and the engine monitor unit SV-EMS-220. Building an RV-7 and would appreciate some ideas of a good location for both. Right now I’m assuming somewhere on the subpanel, but can’t seem to find any photos on line and the instructions are fairly vague, other than cabin side of firewall and room for wires/cables. Thanks in advance for the help. Trying to get something done over the weekend.

Dave

I recommend mounting the ADS-b receiver aft - as in on the bottom of the fuselage very near the ADS-b antenna. The aft location makes it easier to maintain the recommended antenna separations. I make a bracket out of 0.032” aluminum and pro-seal the feet of the bracket to the fuselage. Nut plates on the bracket provide for attachment of the receiver. The short coax run is also an advantage.

A single four #22 conductor shielded wire connects the receiver to the panel (serial for the SkyView, ground and power).

The EMS module can be mounted behind the panel. The trick is to leave room for the D connectors that go on each side. Use of nut plates will pay dividends down the road.

Carl

EMS box

I mounted mine too deep behind the panel. There are extra wires there that you may want to use down the road. Keep those harnesses accessible so you can get to spares and perhaps even re-pin a connector someday.

I would check with the gang at AFS. My quick panel came with an RV7 slider specific drawing for remote avionics and TCW battery location.

Depending on your engine/prop combination, you will likley want to keep as much weight forward as possible for an RV7. EMS box for sure should be as close to the firewall as possible allowing a short run for the engine harness. If installing a backup battery, that should be mounted on the sub panel.
https://i.postimg.cc/zDSNXkpk/20220702-111324.jpg

The EMS module can be mounted behind the panel. The trick is to leave room for the D connectors that go on each side. Use of nut plates will pay dividends down the road.

Carl

This is correct. The EMS loom that contains the thick wires for the CHT and EGT will require more space than the regular electrical connector. Have this wiring loom connected to the EMS as you prototype its mounting location

Dynon System

Dynon, now has a special mounting tray for the Skyview that has places for mounting several of the other boxes. I looked at it at Sun 'N Fun and thought it was s great solution. I don't know if it works for their Advanced unit or not but it be something to investigate.

Back