What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Printer for white labels on clear support

Sylvainsting

Hello,

working on my panel I would like to know which is the best brother printer to print white label on clear backing (my panel is black) ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

I did this on my panel, I used Brother P touch.

Here are a few of the labels.

P2030033.jpg

Last edited:
Last I checked there was no way to get white text on a clear label with one of the standard home label makers. With a little bit of Google work, you can find places that will make custom water slide decals, or alternatively, dry transfer (rub off) decals that will both get you white text. Might be worth checking in with SteinAir as well; I think he had something in the works for panel labels awhile back.

erich

I use a Brother PT-P700 connected to my PC to print labels. I also have an older hand-held Brother printer. Both work just fine.

With respect to White on Clear labels, Brother makes this tape in the TZe format. The label on my tape indicates it's AZe-135 - this is the 12mm tape. If you can't find it in a local business supply store, order it from Brother on line - they are great to deal with.

I have not yet found wider tapes to do white-on-clear.

I'm quite happy with this solution, however I have noticed the new TZe tape does not provide quite as much contrast as the older TZ tape.

A panel that I labeled back in 2007 with the older hand-held labeler and TZ white-on-clear looks as good today as the day I did it. I love the fact that I can change the function of a switch, peel off the old label and install a new one, for pennies. No complaints here when it comes to looks, durability, cost and ease of use.

I stand corrected regarding white on clear printing. The Brother web site seems to indicate white on clear is available up to at least 1/2 inch wide tape

erich

+1 for clear printed labels...

I can't believe how good the clear labels have stood up on my panel.

but if you want a fancier look, not that hard to have a shop print you a bunch all at once, then you can control the spacing and size of the lettering to really suit your needs.
I was messing around with a new switch panel like I've seen on some of the 'fancy' panels you see on VAF!

switch%20LABELs_zpsc81pdqkp.jpg

a good example of visibility; you can't really see the throttle labels if you are over 6' tall, so having them on the actual knobs is much better.

Many thanks

Thank you for your replies. I just ordered a Brother PT- P700 and a TZe 135. I will test it soon. I'll send some pics asap.

Mery Christmas
Sylvain

I can't believe how good the clear labels have stood up on my panel.

but if you want a fancier look, not that hard to have a shop print you a bunch all at once, then you can control the spacing and size of the lettering to really suit your needs.
I was messing around with a new switch panel like I've seen on some of the 'fancy' panels you see on VAF!

switch%20LABELs_zpsc81pdqkp.jpg

a good example of visibility; you can't really see the throttle labels if you are over 6' tall, so having them on the actual knobs is much better.

Just out of curiousity...why the need for labels on the panel if they're already labeled on the knobs??

vicey versa!!!

Just out of curiousity...why the need for labels on the panel if they're already labeled on the knobs??

...they've been on the panel for 9 years, then....hmmmm, I think I'd prefer them on the knobs, and have more explicit info.
( the stuff you do when you can't go flying I guess!):)

probably remove the panel ones one warm day....maybe March?

Very Goog ! thank you mike.

A last question : Do you put something on the label (and the panel) to protect it, like a lacquer or varnish ?

Very Goog ! thank you mike.

A last question : Do you put something on the label (and the panel) to protect it, like a lacquer or varnish ?

Not at all needed in my experience. In fact, you may find that you want to change the labeling slightly at some point in the future (I have 2 or 3 times already in about 250 hours). Not a problem with the pTouch labels.

well howzabout THAT!

well, I made up these labels at my 'day job'....who knew someone had actually thought of that ( 75 years ago!).

if you don't like the ACS version, again, really pretty easy to put text in a .875" diam. circle, print, and cut to shape...
this type of digital print is almost always laminated with a clear layer, sprays etc. actually attack the vinyl and can be detrimental to the adhesion.

ditto the comment that one day, you want to change stuff, so having them peelable is sometimes desirable!

Deception

Hello,

I just received my brother PT700 printer and I am a bit disappointed. The clear label provide a glossy sheen on the black power coated paint.

Any suggestion ?
Do you think a matte varnish for decal transfer could be the solution ?

Happy new Year !

Sylvain

It might be less obvious if you print each label with a box around the text, then carefully trim around the edge of the box. Each label would still have the glossy appearance, but it might look better.

Panel needs to be glossy

Sylvain, I have not yet labelled a panel, but I know from my experience applying decals to scale models, that it is best to apply decals to a smooth glossy surface to avoid the " silvering" effect you have there. Unfortunately it seems that your beautiful powder coating job is not smooth enough to take those clear decals nicely. One option would be to apply a coat of clear gloss varnish but that seems a bit extreme considering you already have such a lovely powder coat finish. Perhaps you should go in a slightly different direction and consider labels with a solid background colour. White on black, or even black on silver might look good.

Good Idea

Hello Edd,

Yes it is a good idea. I am going to order different labels and test it soon.

Stay tuned..

Sylvain

Labels on rough texture

Way before I was thinking about labels, I painted my panel with a rough textured "truck-bed liner" flat black paint.
Well, now I have a problem.
Does anyone have experience with labels that truly adhere well to a rough texture?
Thanks,

p touch

I used a Rustoleum textured paint. It also has a rough surface.
The labels from a P-touch 2430 machine seem to stick okay but I don't have any longevity results to know for sure.

If some of the labels come loose over time, they are easy and cheap to remake and install.

Back