What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine compartment temps vs GPS

koda2

Well Known Member
I am installing a standalone GPS receiver (right) as well as a GPS antenna "puck". It is rated to 185 degrees F but has electronics in it.

gps.jpg

Options are outside, glareshield or top of engine compartment on a metal deck.
For those who measured engine compartment temps, what temps would this unit be seeing under the cowl?

The shell is black plastic so it will absorb quite a bit of heat if it is on the glare shield as well.

Thanks for any input.

Dave A.

For those who measured engine compartment temps, what temps would this unit be seeing under the cowl?

Measured 175F a few weeks ago, right there in the top rear. It was not a particularity hot day. Normal cruise speeds.

just an opinion??not in the engine bay.

on the tail cone, the Garmin on is an external mount, if the other is not find somewhere inside.

Just as a data point. I had a small off-brand GPS puck antenna with integrated electronics that didn't last all that long under the cowl. I replaced it with a Garmin GPS 18X and it has been rock solid ever since (100 or so hours). I know the GPS is only rated for 176 degrees F, but it has survived nicely under my cowl.

My plan is to mount them under the cowling. I will measure the temps and fence and/or cool as needed to get within range. Searching VAF will yield a a lot of people that have them there very few with repeated issues (I actually don't remember one).

I have had the GRT GPS antenna, a WX weather antenna, and a Sirrus Radio antenna all under the cowl for over 400 hours with no problems.

Remember that your hottest cowl air temperature are likely after shutdown when airflow goes to zero but there are 300F cylinders, not in flight.

Several local RVers, me included, mount our GPS antennas ahead of the firewall. None have had any problems that I know of. At least 2 Lowrance antennas, 1 Garmin, and a few unknowns.

I plan to do the same on the RV-6 under construction.

GPS antenna under the cowl with no issues. I even have the Plasma II EI on the forward firewall basically where the designer of the EI system mounted his EI with no issues. :)

Last edited:
Bottom line, running electronics at their maximum rated temperatures or above will reduce their life/MTBF.

Me, I'm a firm believer in function over looks so antennas go where they have the best view of the sky and electronics gets mounted where they stay as cool as practically possible.

We have had our GPS antennas under the cowl on our -10 for over 1,000 hours. Not a hickup.

I covered the top of the glair shield with loop Velcro band fabric and simply Velcroed my antennas up there, along with my pen.

Bottom line, running electronics at their maximum rated temperatures or above will reduce their life/MTBF.

Me, I'm a firm believer in function over looks so antennas go where they have the best view of the sky and electronics gets mounted where they stay as cool as practically possible.

Walt is right on!!! From flight test experience in integrating WAAS systems on company aircraft, antenna location for the best sky view is critical for IFR ops. My RV has dual Garmin WAAS systems and antennas installed IAW Garmin manual and AC20-138. I fly IFR and the last thing I want is WAAS protection levels ramping up as I maneuver on an approach.
If only flying VFR ops, occasional degraded WAAS signals may be acceptable.

Back