What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Elevator Plans - Non Prepunched Version

Isaac

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6 Horzizontal Stab and Elevator that was built from a non pre-punched kit (not by me) and am trying to figure out how the manual trim control push-pull cable is supposed to be secured in the older non pre-punched elevator.

The plans (sheet 5 PPP) for the RV6 that I have are for the newer pre-punched version and show a mounting plate (E-615PP), cover (E-616PP) and Trim Cable Anchor (WD-415-1). None of this hardware is installed in my elevator.

I am hoping there is someone on the Vans Airforce Forum that has the early RV6 elevator plans still around that could make a copy of sheet 5 A (I think) of the plans available or a description of how it was fabricated. It would be a big help to understand how the elevator was constructed in the area where the trim cable exits the elevator. Right now the only option that seems viable to me is to pop rivet the WD-415-1 on the exterior of the elevator skin with the 7/16" nut on the inside.

Your last sentence pretty much describes how it is done. Will try to scan that portion of the drawing. PM me with an e-mail and I'll send it tomorrow.

Dave

Exactly right - pop rivet on

The WD-415 gets pop riveted on the elevator skin exterior with four LP4-3 rivets - one in each corner. The AN316-7C nut is welded to the 1x1x.050 piece of stainless steel that is the WD-415. Be sure the nut is welded on both sides - the earlier parts were tacked on only one side and there were some that came loose. There is a slot in the skin for the cable to exit. The slot measures 1/4 inch at the outside end and 5/8 at the front side. It is 2 3/4" in length.
I would make a copy of the plan section but my scanner is on the fritz.
Craig Brenden

picture message?

You could text or call me and I'll send a picture with my phone of the plans section. My number is five 0 five seven 2 zero one 9 three five.

email bounce

James,
I tried several times to send you some notes and a bunch of pictures but your email bounces. Let me know how I can get the stuff to you. I don't think the forum messaging allows attachments

Dave A.

Back