What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-Buy: "metal found" entry engine log

ReedC

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am looking for advice on an RV-7A that I am seriously considering buying.

During due diligence I found a couple of log book entries that are concerning and would appreciate any advice from the Van's community.

Background:
- RV7A completed in 2007
- basic VFR panel
- IO-360-B1B 180 HP parallel valve (zero timed by lycoming in 1971, TOH in 1985 @ 1000 hrs SMOH, field overhaul in 2003 @1800 hrs SMOH)
- Hartzell hc-c2yr-1b (overhauled in 2003, re-sealed in 2018, prior history unknown)

Entry 1 - Mid 2018 "Metal found" : "Metal contamination found in suction screen, consulted with xxxx local engine shop and determined that metal contamination was not sufficient for removal from service" re-fly 20 hours and re-check.

I telephoned the mechanic - though he could not remember all details, said the metal was non-ferrous and small quantity and only present in the oil screen - filter was clean.

I imagine that xxx local engine shop was following guidance from Lycoming service instruction 1492D (section 8.b. "10-20" pieces)
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Piston Pin Plug Wear Inspection.pdf

The mechanic believed, based on log book evidence, that this may have been the first time the oil screen had been checked since the field overhaul in 2003.

No further metal contamination has been found since this entry - about 200 hours flown (much of it x/c) ,several oil changes, and 2 conditionals.

Entry #2 - 1985 during top overhaul: "converted engine from io-360-b1a to io-360-b1b by removing simmonds fuel system and installing bendix fuel system" Any red flags with this?

Appreciate any insight you may have on these entries.

I am concerned about the engine safety/reliability and future resale value.

Thank you,
Reed

I would think you're out of the woods with the screen contamination if its been that long and the aircraft has been flying regularly, is producing rated power, and temps/pressures are normal.

As a buyer I don't concern myself with logbook entries, as log as there's a proper corrective action. It's what's not documented or incomplete documentation that is concerning.

Thank you Tim - appreciate the insight.

I performed a pre-buy today, all looked good, so I pulled the trigger.

Part of the pre buy was to cut open the filter, washed the filter element into a plastic bucket with gas, visual inspected And ran a magnet through the residuals - completely clean.

Reed

Part of the pre buy was to cut open the filter, washed the filter element into a plastic bucket with gas, visual inspected And ran a magnet through the residuals - completely clean.

Reed

Sounds promising. .but did you pull the suction screen also? I don't think many people even know about the suction screen. .

Reed

Slow down. You must look at the oil screen and also send the oil out for analysis. Only after the results of cutting the filter, reviewing the oil screen and reviewing the oil analysis can you feel confident on whether this engine is a ticking time bomb or not

For piece of mind...

Now that you are the proud owner of this wonderful RV, the best thing to do is moving forward keep yourself informed on your engine's health and well being.

Send in an oil sample for analysis now and on every oil change for the first year. Fly it at least an hour a week...more is better for many reasons. Change the oil every 4 months no matter how few hours are on it. Oil is cheap.

After establishing a good baseline you can go to analysis once a year, but I'd continue getting it analyzed and changing it every 4 months.

Check that oil screen on the lower back of the engine sump and replace the crush gasket every oil change. It only takes a few more minutes and is a great way to make sure more oil gets out of the engine too.

Establish a good relationship with the A&P that will sign off on your condition inspection after the first year. If they are on your airfield start by involving them in some part of the routine maintenance so the first time they see your plane is not when its up for an annual condition inspection and you only have a week left until it expires. Learn from my mistake! I ended up performing engine an engine AD (oil pump gears), replacing all the plugs, sending out my magneto for its 500 hour IRAN, replacing all the FWF fluid hoses and replacing all of my spark plugs before he would consider my new-to-me RV-7 airworthy. The A&P who did the prebuy examination had different opinions than the one who ended up helping me with my owner assisted annual condition inspection.

Enjoy! Fly it local, fly it hard, watch all the Mike Busch EAA Weginars (they are on YouTube too under Savvy Aviation) and read Vic Syracuse's books! Even if you don't turn a wrench yourself you'll know what to expect and some great questions to ask when doing regular maintenance and how to avoid unnecessary engine work.

Non ferrous metal

It’s not unusual to find small amounts of non ferrous metal,ie a match head, In the early running of engines that have been overhauled.The trend is your friend here though. Are you still finding it in subsequent oil filter checks ? There’s a chance the suction screen wasn’t checked and the minor amount of metal could have been “stored” there for some time.
Keep an eye on it but sounds like you’ll be fine.
Switching the fuel injection system is very common and while not knowing much about the Simmonds system the Bendix system is the standard and quite reliable.

Congratulations on joining the RV world !
Give me a call sometime and we’ll catch up. Seven six 0 eight 0 five six 6 four one

Last edited:
Back