What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly-in hiking in CA or NV?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

So I'm leaving my current job next week and don't start at my new place until a couple of weeks later. Unfortunately my wife needs to work - so I'm thinking of taking the RV for a solo 1 or 2 night camping trip during the week.

Any ideas/recommendations for nice airports that have good walk-in hiking nearby? I'm probably interested in staying south of Oregon because it is cold right now ;-).

Kernville too

Columbia is about the best choice this time of year. You might check with Cloverdale too. Right next to the Russian River. The coolest place is Saline Valley, but you have to be proficient on short narrow runways with no go arounds. I used to take my 4 in there with no problems. Leave your wheel pants at home though. Great hot springs too but no amenities, all you will have is what you bring in.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Last Week....

Kevin-

Last week, Columbia would have been a great choice. Flown in twice with the family for camping, but it gets cold up there even on Memorial Day weekend. This week highs might make it to 60, with rain and lows in the 30s. No thanks.

I was going to suggest you bag a landing at the lowest point in the US at Furnace Creek, but the weather looks the same there!

Catalina? Skip the hiking, throw the skis or board in and go to Mammoth or Tahoe?

Thanks for the ideas. Been to Columbia & Catalina a number of times. But might do Catalina again. Death Valley also sounds good.

Keep those ideas coming ;-)

If you go to kernville. Let me know. I am about 15 minutes away. Kernville is nice. You can order food over the radio and it will be ready by the time you land.

A little farther (OK, a lot) but what about Moab? Fly to Canyonlands Field, take the shuttle to town, rent a bike.

Or maybe try Markleeville, though not much hiking right at the field.

There are lots of strips, both charted and otherwise, all over Nevada. Some of them are adjacent to interesting country. Weather's not looking too good for the next several days, though.

The Alvord Desert in S/E Oregon is a popular fly-in destination, though the dry lakes may not be so dry by now. Would be cool to land and taxi to within walking distance of some of the hot springs. Same weather issue right now as the rest of the Great Basin.

all of the desert dry lake beds are no longer dry this time of year, nor will they dry for the next several weeks. :)

near the ocean

You can fly to Oceano and walk on Pismo Beach, or fly to Half Moon Bay and walk on the beach there. The nice thing about going to the beach this time of year is it is about the same temperature it is in the summer, but no fog. The moderating influence of a big mass of water at 58F tends to keep it from getting too cold there.

You can also fly into Little River near Mendocino. Fantastic hiking trail up a river canyon near by. Hard to get a ride into town, but a beautiful hike.

Shelter cove on the N CA coast. Beautiful spot, camping on the field, hiking in the mountains and on the black sand beach. Not sure the weather is cooperative the next few days.

Someone mentioned Markleeville. I would guess that the Alpine County airport is going to be closed due to snow within the next few days. I don't know for certain, but don't think they plow that airport in winter.

Good hiking in summer in eastern NV - could get a courtesy car at Ely - but will be quite cold right now.

Greg

Gravelly Valley

Check out Gravelly Valley: http://www.airnav.com/airport/1Q5
05779.jpg

Great spot on the edge of a beautiful lake. Long, gravel Forest Service runway. There is a road that crosses about 500 feet in from the shoreline, so most people land a little long. But after you land, taxi back towards the shore and there is a campground 100 yards from where the road crosses.

We've never camped overnight there, but we've picnicked there a couple times.

I was going to recommend Columbia or Oceano but several people already beat me too it.

Columbia has the walk into town and Oceano has the beach, Pismo Beach, and the American Meladrama.

Both have flush toilets and hot showers at the camp ground.

Borrego Springs has typically great weather right now. From the airport you can walk (or catch a ride) a couple miles up to the State Park, which has a nice visitor center and camp ground. Lots of trails and hiking opportunities in the park - Palm Oasis, Maidenhair Falls, California Riding and Hiking trail takes you up to the higher desert climate, Cougar Canyon and Sheep Canyon. These all have water year round, which is important if you are hiking.

This is Sheep Canyon
644192370_YBhd9-M.jpg

Might even see some of these guys
643407247_4B2mo-M.jpg

Thanks for all the good leads everyone. I'll do some research and then post a write-up/picts for wherever I end up going. Woot!

:D

Hi Kevin, it has been way too long. I would love to hear what you are planning. Eventually, a camping trip is one of my goals now that I'm flying!

JOshua Tree?

Kevin-
Joshua Tree has an airport that is within a short hitchhike of the park. JT is incredible... Also happy to invite you here to NV33, I have a warm(ish) hangar with facilities if you'd like to stop here overnight or just for some coffee.
Eric

Back