What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Compressor CFM

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I'm looking at getting a HVLP paint gun for my interior work and need some assistance with CFM compatibility. My compressor says is can do 3-6 CFM at 90 psi. The gun says it needs 12 SCFM at 45psi. Is this a simple, 45 is half of 90, so the compressor can do 6-12 CFM at 45psi versus 90 psi or is it more complex than that?

it also depends on how big a tank you have, if you have a 90/ 80 or 120 gallon tank you should do ok. smaller than that and your compressor will cycle more rapidly

I'm looking at getting a HVLP paint gun for my interior work and need some assistance with CFM compatibility. My compressor says is can do 3-6 CFM at 90 psi. The gun says it needs 12 SCFM at 45psi. Is this a simple, 45 is half of 90, so the compressor can do 6-12 CFM at 45psi versus 90 psi or is it more complex than that?

It is that simple - your compressor will be adequate. A couple of things to remember - the interior of an airplane (even a -10) isn't that big, and you make a pass with the gun, pause, make another pass, reposition yourself, make another pass, etc. So you are not spraying 100% of the time, meaning that you need a little less air than what the gun manufacturer says.

Also, you'll start with a full air tank, so that gives you a little more wiggle room. And of course, if the pressure gets a little low, you can always pause a little longer between passes.

No need to borrow or buy another compressor when the one you have will get the job done.

Back