What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Software Updates

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
Does anyone else share my frustration with Garmin's field software update strategy?

For the G3X and G3X Touch, finding and deploying software updates has been a pretty straightforward affair -- there's a website, click-click-click, download, expand-copy to SD card and you're off in fairly short order.

For the "Certified" equipment (e.g. GTN 650Xi) that crosses over into the the experimental world, it's another matter -- You need to find a Garmin dealer who may or may not help download the update, or worse, charge you for the privilege.

I see another email in my inbox from Garmin this morning, the GTN Xi stack has been updated to 20.23 and incorporates some fixes for Smart Glide and some other nits --- guess I have to pay a visit to my local Garmin dealer and bribe them with beer...

Unfortunately, that page hasn't been updated to include the 20.23 release...

Doesn't really apply to G3X equipped aircraft, but if you feel the need to burn some gas I can probably help you with the update.

PURPOSE
GTN Xi Series Main software version 20.23 contains the following changes:
• Fixed the roll steering issue identified in Garmin Service Advisory 21109. Roll steering is now provided for the autopilot to follow the Smart Glide route to the destination airport when Smart Glide is activated while in OBS mode.
• Fixed an issue where tuning of NAV frequency was not allowed in G500, G600, G700 TXi (v3.30) NAV software version 2.04 decreases the default NAV audio volume level

SB 2188 Note:
G3X Touch (GDU 4XX)
When installed alongside a G3X Touch system, G3X Touch software V8.91, or higher, is required. Smart Glide configuration is designed to be managed in the G3X Touch configuration menu. Smart Glide should remain disabled in GTN Xi configuration mode.

Last edited:
Doesn't really apply to G3X equipped aircraft, but if you feel the need to burn some gas I can probably help you with the update.

Thanks Walt, I appreciate the offer. I'll drop in to 52F sometime after the weather clears...

Unfortunately, that page hasn't been updated to include the 20.23 release...

My guess is be a bit patient. The experimental folks at Garmin do add the latest GTN updates, might just take a little longer - e.g. they have to prepare a companion installation instruction document that is specifically worded for the non-cert world. I think it's actually rather decent of them to give us those updates free, as my experience before they started this was that the dealers pretty much always charged for the updates.

GTN Xi Software

Does anyone else share my frustration with Garmin's field software update strategy?

For the G3X and G3X Touch, finding and deploying software updates has been a pretty straightforward affair -- there's a website, click-click-click, download, expand-copy to SD card and you're off in fairly short order.

For the "Certified" equipment (e.g. GTN 650Xi) that crosses over into the the experimental world, it's another matter -- You need to find a Garmin dealer who may or may not help download the update, or worse, charge you for the privilege.

I see another email in my inbox from Garmin this morning, the GTN Xi stack has been updated to 20.23 and incorporates some fixes for Smart Glide and some other nits --- guess I have to pay a visit to my local Garmin dealer and bribe them with beer...

Brian,

We make every GTN (Xi) software update available for free for EAB aircraft, and have for some time now. There is no scenario in which you would have to pay a Garmin dealer to install a software update on your GTN Xi in an EAB aircraft. The EAB software download link will be available here, shortly.

Thanks,

Justin

Brian,

We make every GTN (Xi) software update available for free for EAB aircraft, and have for some time now. There is no scenario in which you would have to pay a Garmin dealer to install a software update on your GTN Xi in an EAB aircraft. The EAB software download link will be available here, shortly.

Thanks,

Justin

Fair enough -- I was impatient.

Now, if y'all could also provide the GTX Tool so the EAB folks could update our GTX 3X5's -- that would be awesome.

Brian

GTN update gone wrong

Hi G3xpert
Can you please help me with my predicament re my GTN650 update?

I recently updated my G3X GDU370 with the latest software and all went well. (RV10)
I also have a GTN coupled to the G3X, which I also updated without incident in the past.
The mistake I made this time was to use the the SD card in the GTN :eek:
The update then went well, but then the data bases were probably erased.
As my data bases was quite old, I thought I would pay for the new ones and use the same SD card again, which, I hoped, would restore it to the latest databases (Atlantic 2.5 arc sec terrain data base, International Nav Data and Worldwide basemap ).
Now, when I start the GTN, it still goes into update/config mode.
I assume I should have formatted/erased it before reloading the databases.

1. Can I erase the files on the SD card which is causing this to happen? If possible, which files?
2. Or can I re-download the databases on a clean SD card without paying again?
3. Do I need to download other databases also for the GTN to function correctly. I am not to worried about the obstacles and safetaxi databases.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I'm not the only one who did this:D

Database Download

Hi G3xpert
Can you please help me with my predicament re my GTN650 update?

I recently updated my G3X GDU370 with the latest software and all went well. (RV10)
I also have a GTN coupled to the G3X, which I also updated without incident in the past.
The mistake I made this time was to use the the SD card in the GTN :eek:
The update then went well, but then the data bases were probably erased.
As my data bases was quite old, I thought I would pay for the new ones and use the same SD card again, which, I hoped, would restore it to the latest databases (Atlantic 2.5 arc sec terrain data base, International Nav Data and Worldwide basemap ).
Now, when I start the GTN, it still goes into update/config mode.
I assume I should have formatted/erased it before reloading the databases.

1. Can I erase the files on the SD card which is causing this to happen? If possible, which files?
2. Or can I re-download the databases on a clean SD card without paying again?
3. Do I need to download other databases also for the GTN to function correctly. I am not to worried about the obstacles and safetaxi databases.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I'm not the only one who did this:D

Good Morning,

You can re-download the databases as many times as needed. The GTN boots into configuration mode when it see a software update file on the SD card that is inserted into the unit. You will want to format the SD card, and re-download the databases to your card. If you need any assistance with the database download, please contact our Pilot Operations group at 1-866-739-5687.

Thanks,

Justin

Back