Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2022, 11:23 PM

Default RV-14 Circuit Breaker Location-Panel or Center Power Module?

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of designing my SteinAir sourced panel for my QB RV-14. Looking for opinion's pro and con on circuit breaker locations. I see panels that have the CBs mounted on the far right side. And others that use the stock center lower Power Module location under the panel. I'm leaning to the stock Power Module location to save valuable panel space and give me better access to the CBs from the left seat. But maybe there's good reasons to have them on the panel. I don't have access panels on the upper forward fuselage skin but am considering them. For now, I'm approaching my panel setup assuming I won't have those access panels.

Thanks for your time.

Scott
QB RV-14 #140702
Fuselage/empennage finished.
Working on wings.
Finishing Kit delivered
2022 dues paid. Worth every cent.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:44 AM

I recommend a VPX.
Miss March 2020
Old 01-05-2022, 05:12 AM

I put my CB's on the centre tunnel using Van's optional angle brackets.
I really like them there. Easy to get to however can't see the top row of CB's without bending a bit. It is a great place to have them from a wiring respective as well. CB's are not normally used very often so they need not take up prime real estate. I have a close up picture of my CB panel showing CB layout laminated on the back of my checklist that can be used to quickly find CB location.

The only down side it makes getting to the fuel pump and filter more difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64417891857__C7366F6D-C45C-4097-AD86-867948F247F2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	20555  
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694 - First Flight June 22, 2021
RV-14 A - Kit Ordered February 8, 2022
2022 Dues Paid
Old 01-05-2022, 05:39 AM

One suggestion if mounting the CB with Van's power module. Install your fuel filters in the wing root . Access to the fuel filter in Van's location is difficult enough with the full top panel access rather than with the Power module on top. Yes you can remove the complete assembly for filter access but that's more work and a pain. My 14 has the fuel filter in Van's location and it's a pain to service. My friend has the power module with wing root filters and I purchased the power module and am about to purchase the wing root filter kit from Aircraft Specialty and do the modification later this winter.
AirCam flying
Old 01-05-2022, 07:04 AM

I used VPX so I did not need to decide (Just have CB's for the EFII on the right hand side) Yes use the wing filters kit that Aircraft Specialty makes. I'm using that in the 10 and should make tunnel entry less of a problem. (I am also using an access panel on one side of the tunnel to inspect the fuel selector and tubing that will need to be there anyway) You are going to need to access the tunnel during annuals and with the power module there will be an issue getting access to the tunnel. I really like the VPX system and has helped troubleshoot a landing light issue I had. The power module location can be repurposed for a glove box which is what I have on the 14. If you are using tank return lines I would definitely have a panel in the tunnel. There's a lot going on in the tunnel even without the filters being there.
Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade, EarthX batteries, real airplane hopefully early 2024. Paid subscriber and more. (Worth every dollar contributed).
Old 01-05-2022, 08:14 AM

You will certainly get lots of opinions on this one - hereís mine, and maybe it will add some different ideas.

When I built, the center angle power module wasnít available, but I wonít be using it on my new build either. I donít like an all fuse setup (especially barely accessible), nor do I like a matrix of breakers way on the right side. My solution was a hybrid - a mix of resettable breakers on the main instrument panel (things I want/need to reset or be able to turn off) and fuses (things to resolve on the ground). The breakers are in a single row just under the MFD on the passenger side - about 10-12 and about half avionics items. Then there are two fuse blocks divided into 3 buses (main, avionics, emergency/keep-alive) - these are located on the vertical brace (maybe called wire channel?).

This all gave me ergonomics (fewer breakers, easy to get to), finer wiring resolution (I have ~30 fuses and ~10 breakers) and I kept my tunnel access open (for fuel pump/filter access). I also was able to add an easily removable (Velcro) cockpit caddy aft of the fuses on top of the tunnel that organizes sunglasses, pulse-ox, power cable, etc. Iíll try and add a couple pics.

There are 12 switchable breakers plus 2 spare holes (never needed).
2nd picture is the wiring channel before mounting showing one fuse block open and one covered. Each block has 2 buses - one entire block is main, 1/2 the 2nd is avionics, 1/2 essential/keep-alive.
3rd pic shows the console mounted in front of the wiring channel (with fuse blocks) - it is attached to the tunnel with industrial velcro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5474.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	20583  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3608.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	20584  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00150 small.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	20585  

RV-14A Builder - kit #136 (complete) and #770 (in process)
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, 24th in the air, >800 hrs
XP-400 Aero Sport Power, replaced with Lyc Thunderbolt 390
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 9/2021

Last edited by KeithB : 01-05-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
You will certainly get lots of opinions on this one - hereís mine, and maybe it will add some different ideas.

When I built, the center angle power module wasnít available, but I wonít be using it on my new build either. I donít like an all fuse setup (especially barely accessible), nor do I like a matrix of breakers way on the right side. My solution was a hybrid - a mix of resettable breakers on the main instrument panel (things I want/need to reset or be able to turn off) and fuses (things to resolve on the ground). The breakers are in a single row just under the MFD on the passenger side - about 10-12 and about half avionics items. Then there are two fuse blocks divided into 3 buses (main, avionics, emergency/keep-alive) - these are located on the vertical brace (maybe called wire channel?).

This all gave me ergonomics (fewer breakers, easy to get to), finer wiring resolution (I have ~30 fuses and ~10 breakers) and I kept my tunnel access open (for fuel pump/filter access). I also was able to add an easily removable (Velcro) cockpit caddy aft of the fuses on top of the tunnel that organizes sunglasses, pulse-ox, power cable, etc. Iíll try and add a couple pics.
This idea appeals to me a great deal. Could you post some pictures?
Thanks!!!
JET
Old 01-05-2022, 09:53 AM

I'm thinking about using VPX and CBs for the critical loads like EFII, fuel pumps, etc.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:07 AM

I have circuit breakers on the power module panel, it's what I prefer and am used to. It's an individual choice for sure, no right or wrong answer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181019_145901 (Medium).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	20566  

CFI-I ASMEL, ATP

RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)

www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 01-05-2022, 12:06 PM

One thing to consider is your height, as a tall guy I would have a hard time checking breakers under the panel regardless of positioning.