What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problemas en Mexico

I have always carried a US printed blanket letter from the FAA authorizing my amateur built aircraft into US airspace . Never been asked for it though.

I have wanted to fly the Baja peninsula even before my plane was completed. The border regulations and policies have always kept me away. Hope to someday start making trips down there. Thanks for the information.

A Kitplanes article on cross border (North and South) experimental travel would be great!

I have always carried a US printed blanket letter from the FAA authorizing my amateur built aircraft into US airspace . Never been asked for it though.

You must have a trusting face, I have had to produce it a few times.

climberrn
"I have wanted to fly the Baja peninsula even before my plane was completed. The border regulations and policies have always kept me away. Hope to someday start making trips down there. Thanks for the information.
A Kitplanes article on cross border (North and South) experimental travel would be great!"

We had a great time taking the 7A down the Baja some years ago, regulations weren't bad & policies were as expected, nothing a wad of low denomination USD bills wouldn't fix. Hope Mexico figures it out for Exp aircraft because after Covid we will be wanting a big adventure!

Policy hurdles are inevitable where ever you want to venture - Canada has revived the Mandatory 406 ELT requirement for foreign & domestic aircraft, too bad a small wad of bills won't fix this new but expected hurdle for US visitors.

I sent an email to Daniel Padilla at MMSF, where we usually clear from Sacramento. Not sure if he meant to yell at me or if his caps lock was just on but here's the thread of emails.

IT WAS ENFORCED THANKS TO A PILOT WHO GOT THE PERMIT WITH A SEA REY BUT REGARDLES OF BEING TOLD NOT TO LAND IN WATER HE KEEP TRYING TO BEND THE RULE UNTILL HE BREAKIT AND EVERYBODY HEARD THE NOISE. AND THATS THE RESULT.

ONCE AGAIN THE RESTRICTION COMES FROM ICAOS AND FAA.
De: David Goldfarb <[email protected]>
Enviado: lunes, 1 de marzo de 2021 12:41 a. m.
Para: Padilla Daniel <[email protected]>
Asunto: Re: Experimental aircraft into Mexico

Well, I cannot fault you for enforcing your laws. It’s interesting that, while nothing has changed with respect to the airworthiness certificates, that the “letter of the law” rather than the intent is suddenly enforced. LEt’s hope that a resolution soon presents itself.

On 28 Feb , 2021, at 4:30 PM, daniel padilla <[email protected]> wrote:

IN RESUME
AS LONG AS FAA DOESNT REMOVE, THE LIMITATION ON FLYING IN OTHER COUNTRIES BEHIND THE REGISTRATION WHERE IT SAYS:

THAT THE AIRCRAFT CANT FLY OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES, UNLESS PERMISION GRANTED B THE COUNTRY WHERE THE FLIGTH IS INTENDED,
AND THAT IS ALSO COMMING FROM ICAO :
21. This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code, as provided by Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. The owner/operator of this aircraft must obtain written permission from another CAA before operating this aircraft in or over that country. That written permission must be carried aboard the aircraft together with the U.S. airworthiness certificate and, upon request, be made available to an FAA inspector or the CAA in the country of operation.

ALSO MEXICO DOESNT HAVE A SPECIAL PERMIT FOR EXPERIMENTALS AND IT DOESNT SEEM TO HAVE IN A NEAR BY FUTURE.

THE THEME IS ON THE TABLE BUT NO ANWSER YET.

Sticklers

This is why so many people are sticklers for the rules - so we don't all get affected by draconian actions due to one knucklehead doing something silly. May not apply in this case, but I'm guessing it might.

This is why so many people are sticklers for the rules - so we don't all get affected by draconian actions due to one knucklehead doing something silly. May not apply in this case, but I'm guessing it might.
"I am an American so I don't have to follow these rules. It is corruption and they are just trying to get a kickback."

Having spent years working at a US Embassy you can't imagine how many times we heard that, or something along those lines. :(

"I am an American so I don't have to follow these rules. It is corruption and they are just trying to get a kickback."

Having spent years working at a US Embassy you can't imagine how many times we heard that, or something along those lines. :(

The funny part is...they may actually BE corrupt and it might actually BE a kickback, but being an American doesn't help you avoid it one bit, because, hey, you're not *in* the USA. LOL!

An airline pilot friend of mine once spent some time in a Mexican pokey.

He did NOT give it 4 stars!

Take a rental car from the US into Mexico sometime. You're guaranteed to see corruption up close.

Take a rental car from the US into Mexico sometime. You're guaranteed to see corruption up close.

Take *any* car into Mexico...when I was in college, we used to just factor in the 20 bucks to "tip" the federales at the border when we drove to Rocky Point.

Given the fun we had on spring breaks there, it was worth every penny :).

I live near the Mexican border. I cross the border probably once a month by car at Nuevo Progresso, Tamilipas. I have never been hit up by the cops. Corruption is rampant in Mexico but they generally leave the gringos alone.

I watched BuildFlyGo's recent vids on his Mexico trip and all the paperwork is enough for me to avoid that nonsense. When I was at NJA we carried a lot of "tip" money going to Mexico to grease the skids.

Certainly a very different system down there....so much to explore in the US before I get bored enough to go in my RV. I much prefer landing at airports where - no-one is there, fuel is self-serve, and they have a beater courtesy van or bikes to ride.

Take *any* car into Mexico...when I was in college, we used to just factor in the 20 bucks to "tip" the federales at the border when we drove to Rocky Point.

That was then, this is now.

I fly to Mexico all the time with Myron on Flying Samaritan trips. I go in my certificated spam can Piper Saratoga though, so haven't had to think twice about any experimental aircraft issues.

I can tell you that the paperwork can seem daunting at first, simply because they are foreign procedures. So I understand the concerns of pilots new to Mexico flying. I was in your shoes before. But it's basically a once-per-year thing, and after you have the multi entry permiso, subsequent trips are not administratively onerous. I absolutely love flying there. Checking in/out at a port of call is no big deal, and totally worth it in my humble opinion.

I made numerous donations to the local hospital driving to Rosario beach in college. Weird they had motorcycle cops collecting the donations!

Please stay on topic.

This thread is important to those who care about flying to Mexico.

If you have new updated information regarding this, great. But there is no need to hear about anecdotal stories obout rental cars and motorcycle cops.

That was then, this is now.

Remember, stereotypes die hard. Some people in other nations are convinced that Americans are Racist Bigots. Doesn't mean we all are. :(

I fly to Mexico all the time with Myron on Flying Samaritan trips. I go in my certificated spam can Piper Saratoga though, so haven't had to think twice about any experimental aircraft issues.

I can tell you that the paperwork can seem daunting at first, simply because they are foreign procedures. So I understand the concerns of pilots new to Mexico flying. I was in your shoes before. But it's basically a once-per-year thing, and after you have the multi entry permiso, subsequent trips are not administratively onerous. I absolutely love flying there. Checking in/out at a port of call is no big deal, and totally worth it in my humble opinion.

My recommendation is to use a local FBO or handler the first time you go. Once you learn the procedures then you realize, just like the US, it isn't that big a deal.

:cool:

Last edited:
Remember, stereotypes die hard. Some people in other nations are convinced that Americans are Racist Bigots. Doesn't mean we all are. :(

Graft and bribes are well known issues in Mexico. Pointing it out isn't racism or bigotry.

Bears in Mexico

I’ve flown to MMGM many times. Always a pleasant experience. Professional airport personnel every time that make it easy to return. The BBP organization is working a solution right now to allow EXP aircraft entry and exit from Mexico’s airports. If you feed the bears they won’t rely on their own ability, so don’t feed the bears.

BBP needs your help

I received a request to post the following in reference to the BBP.

Bush Pilots International <[email protected]>

Experimental Aircraft Update, Critical Request

As indicated in my Forum post yesterday, we are moving forward with Mexico regarding authorizations for Foreign Experimental Aircraft to fly in Mexico.

It was indicated in our first meeting that Mexican law does allow for procedures to accept non-certificated aircraft in Mexico and although in the past, this was allowed without special permission, now legal procedures must be established and completed for this to continue....

One huge question was the volume and kind of foreign aircraft that wish Mexican authorization.
In order to give a valid estimate, I am requesting that anyone who wishes to fly to Mexico in a non-Certificated aircraft provide me the following information. Please understand that this information is non-committal and only will be used by Mexico to determine the need for this special procedure:

1) Type of non-certificated aircraft (Fixed wing, Rotating wing, Paraglider, Delta wing, Glider)
2) If Kit, Make (Manufacturer)
3) Model of Kit (Example RV-6)
4) Who Assembled the aircraft (Owner, Third Party, unknown)
5) Year aircraft was first flown (Yep, put in a date)

Please provide the above information by number in your reply as well as any other information you wish to provide and we will tabulate and present to AFAC.

I need to have this information put together and presented by this Friday, March 19.
You need to do your part. This Alert is going to some 9,000 current and past current BBP Members.

Let’s get this thing put together, accepted, and get experimental aircraft back into Mexico.

Jack@bbp

You have received this message because you are a member of, or have purchased insurance from Bush Pilots International. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please call us at 480-730-3250, or email us at [email protected]

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

I just flew into Mexico last month (in a Cessna 210). Unfortunately, experimentals are still forbidden. :(

Dang.......

I just flew into Mexico last month (in a Cessna 210). Unfortunately, experimentals are still forbidden. :(

That is a bummer. I sure hope it gets worked out. Our family wants to get back down there and do some flying in the -10. We were just talking about this on Sunday and wondered if it had been taken care of. I assume the BBP have attorneys engaged?

I wonder if the FAA would consider removing that statement if that is all Mexicos authorities are hung up on.

The EAA article is well-written but some items are outdated due to how quickly things change in Mexico. For example, Mulege no longer has fuel. But overall, that page gives a very good overview of the process. After you fly to Mexico once, you realize just how easy it is.

For anybody planning to fly to Mexico, I highly recommend Baja Bush Pilots. They have up-to-the-minute "NOTAMS" (info shared by fellow pilots) about fuel availability, runway closures, Mexican law changes, etc. The Baja Bush Pilots EAPIS filing system is also much simpler to use than using the US Customs system.

Let's all hope the restriction on experimental aircraft can be resolved soon!

I too would like to travel to Mexico with my RV-10 eventually. Poking around I noticed EAA appears to address the concern of this thread here, i.e. permission:

EAA us-border-crossing-information-for-homebuilts-mexico

Having lived in Mexico previously I know things are not always very straightforward, but I think this is worth a try to at least see where it goes.

Has anyone tried this, or contacted the embassy? Curious of the outcome.

Well said,, me too

so much to explore in the US before I get bored enough to go in my RV. I much prefer landing at airports where - no-one is there, fuel is self-serve, and they have a beater courtesy van or bikes to ride.

Totally agree, I’m still finding fun places right here at home

Last edited:
Just keep in mind the drug cartels are always looking for planes that can carry a good payload. Had a friend a decade ago land with his family down in Baja in a Cessna 206 to do some camping. While there, one day a Jeep rolled up with well armed individuals who took his plane and left him and his family alive (good) but out in the middle of no where (bad). Lost interest is flying South of the border after that. Now a days you have cartel members even rolling into tourist resorts to do a hit. It’s not old Mexico anymore.

Last edited:
I do not fault anyone for their personal risk management decisions. We all make decisions such as no single engine night flights over the Sierra Nevada Mountains, no North Atlantic crossings, etc.

But I do think decisions can be informed by the real world experiences of others. My experience from monthly volunteer flights to Baja with the Flying Samaritans has always been very positive. The Mexican people are very friendly and welcoming, and the government and military personnel with whom we interact are always accommodating. I don't fly to remote or unpopulated airstrips (most are closed now anyway due to Mexico's new strict runway licensing rules) which greatly reduces risk of theft. I also fly with groups of other airplanes.

I'll reiterate my advice to check out the Baja Bush Pilots website to get lots of great information about flying south of the border. BBP has everything pilots need to enjoy safe trips to Mexico.

Last edited:
I do not fault anyone for their personal risk management decisions. We all make decisions such as no single engine night flights over the Sierra Nevada Mountains, no North Atlantic crossings, etc.

But I do think decisions can be informed by the real world experiences of others. My experience from monthly volunteer flights to Baja with the Flying Samaritans has always been very positive. The Mexican people are very friendly and welcoming, and the government and military personnel with whom we interact are always accommodating. I don't fly to remote or unpopulated airstrips (most are closed now anyway due to Mexico's new strict runway licensing rules) which greatly reduces risk of theft. I also fly with groups of other airplanes.

I'll reiterate my advice to check out the Baja Bush Pilots website to get lots of great information about flying south of the border. BBP has everything pilots need to enjoy safe trips to Mexico.

Well said. :cool:

AOPA

I asked the AOPA for an update and received this response:

"As you are probably aware, AOPA initially reached out to the Mexican authorities a year ago- https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ental-aircraft. While we did receive a response from AFAC in June of 2021, we did not feel it provided the necessary clarity we desired. We followed up with a letter to AFAC requesting clarification of whether Mexico has given permission to US registered experimental aircraft to operate in Mexican airspace. Unfortunately, due to constant workforce changes within AFAC, the increased militarization of the civil aviation sector, and Mexico's continued Category II status-- https://www.reuters.com/world/ameri...air-safety-rating-first-half-2022-2021-08-31/, getting a response has been a challenge.

While I wish I could provide a defined timeframe to a resolution, I do want to let you know we are currently working with our connections to obtain in person meetings with AFAC to inform them of the importance and economic benefits of the US general aviation community in Mexico.

We appreciate your interest and concern in this issue, and welcome any additional information or feedback you might be aware of."

Last edited:
No method

I have been beating this dead horse for a while. The issue with the whole situation is a permission to fly EXP AIRCRAFT into another country is required as per airworthy docs by FAA. Mexico does not have a method to obtain this permission. So few EXP’s fly into MX that it is not a concern of the MX officials. Prior to the military taking over aircraft regs in MX the “Comandante” of most airports would ignore this reg. Not anymore and they, and we, are stuck in CATCH 22. Tremendous efforts have been made to obtain a solution and I hope a change of heart in the MX officials will occur........ya right

A little clarification........

I have been beating this dead horse for a while. The issue with the whole situation is a permission to fly EXP AIRCRAFT into another country is required as per airworthy docs by FAA.

The first sentence of you Operating Limitations says it all...

"1. This aircraft does not meet the airworthiness standards of Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation."

The FAA could care less what you do outside the U.S. They are simply reminding you that this Experimental Airworthiness Certificate is valid only in this country. It is NOT recognized world-wide. To fly in other countries you must have their permission.

Back