What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Critique

When I did my panel I grouped the switches by the phase of flight, and I like it quite a bit. So I basically only put switches that are used in flight over the engine controls. I don't have a good picture, sorry.

I also put power control switches over the EFIS mostly to avoid cutting into the rib behind the instrument panel (I have a slider). I worried it wouldn't be convenient, but it's actually pretty nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_184942382.jpg
    IMG_20200614_184942382.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 254
Flaps

Apart from switch sequence per previous response, I suggest to position the flap switch immediately above the throttle so you can reach it without removing hand from throttle.

Apart from switch sequence per previous response, I suggest to position the flap switch immediately above the throttle so you can reach it without removing hand from throttle.

This was my first thought also. You want the flap and fuel pump switch in positions where you can activate them without looking and even better with your hand still on the throttle.

I also 2nd the comment about grouping based on phase of flight. In my plane the far left is start, under the screen is Master/Alternator/lighting. Directly above the throttle/mixture is my flap/fuel pump only.

Smoke switch is between throttle/mixture (not that you need smoke). I kept my switches to a minimum so no EFIS/Avionics switches they turn on with the master.

What I would do:

Remove the USB jacks from the panel. I would never want cables hanging down into the cockpit when flying. Make a bracket for them and mount them down below the panel and beside the vent instead. Better yet, mount one on the back of each armrest, completely out of the way.

Move everything left far enough that the radios are centered on the panel, and the 10" screen is centered on the pilot. Put the little EFIS (G5?) below the transponder if it fits. This leaves enough room for a second 10" screen on the right if you want to upgrade later.

Now that there's room on the right, make an identical cutout for a second 10" screen, make a blank plate to cover it. In that blank plate, make a glovebox, and mount an iPad (or other tablet) in front of it.

What I would do:

Remove the USB jacks from the panel. I would never want cables hanging down into the cockpit when flying. SNIP

+1

While your at it, figure out the headphone jacks. Low in the middle of the seats works best so you don’t have wires running over your legs when you get in and out. The pre-punched headphone jacks in the RV-14 are example of how not to position them.

Carl

First pass, love to hear thoughts from anyone.

Allen,

Looks good.

One minor thing to consider - the radio is significantly deeper than the autopilot controller. You may want to verify there is no interference, if so you can swap the GMC 507 and the GTR200B

Lots of good responses here and I'd echo them and add a bit.

Plan switch location and order by phase of flight - from left to right I have my masters (Batt/Alt, Avionics, AutoPilot), my lights, pitot heat, boost pump, flaps.

USB charger ports, if you have to put them on your panel, put them low or you are fighting cables crossing things you want to see.

It's been a while since I installed my map box, but mine sits lower by a fair amount. I remember the plans were pretty specific about where the box fit into the panel, but that might just be side-to-side.

I think you'll regret having the cable controlled cabin heat that high on the panel, mostly for routing the cable in the sub panel area and it interfering with the many things that will get installed back there.

I built my panel as day/night VFR, as it appears you have planned. When it came time to equipping for IFR - which I am doing right now - I had to rethink the radio stack and move things around. In your case, if you can, find a way to take your autopilot panel out of the radio stack and leave room for an IFR navigator, second COMM and/or audio panel in the future. I don't know if Garmin offers a vertical model, my Dynon panel does and that works well.

I don't see any circuit breakers, are you planning to use an ECB like a VP-X? Careful, that's a hot topic around here.

Not a bad start at all. Panel planning is the one place where what you decide affects the flying experience more than most anything else. Be sure to think about the space behind the panel too, and the space behind the sub panel.

All good suggestions. I put a lot of thought into my panel which I have been using for 3 years now. Phase of flight, flap switch and fuel pump with your hand on the throttle, etc. I suggest you add a GDU470 vertical screen like I have.

The left-most bank of switches are not touched during flight unless absolutely needed. Autopilot master and backup Alternator switches are behind the iPad in the picture that is mounted to the yoke with a Ram mount.

All the switches above the throttle are the flight phase. And I still have room for a small glove box.:)

Attachments

• F7509C4D-0451-4507-BB30-174A025E8C48.jpg
    F7509C4D-0451-4507-BB30-174A025E8C48.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
A couple of thoughts

Just to chime in with a couple of thoughts. Like others have said, remove the map box to save the space for future upgrades.

Remove the USB jacks and put them in the lower right area with covers. Minimize use in flight to keep wires out of the way.

Put your flap switch directly above or next to your throttle. You can mount the flap switch next to your throttle on the same bracket. Might have to make a larger bracket. This needs to be very accessible.

Move your Alt Field switch next to your Master.

Don't "Switch Guard" your fuel pump switch. You want quick, unobstructed access to the fuel pump switch.

Consider an auto pilot disconnect switch on the stick.
Make the switch labeled, "auto pilot" a trim disconnect switch.

Just some thoughts!!

First pass, love to hear thoughts from anyone.

Looks awesome with a couple of suggestions. If it was me, I would move the waring light out of direct view. If they go on, you will noticed them even if they are far to the right side but in a direct view specially at night, it can be very distracting.
I would move the USB charger on the right elsewhere, possibly not on the panel, and preserve that space for future use. We often think this is it, but as new product becomes available, we might wish we had space available on the panel. Lastly, possibly moving the ELT closer to your reach. In case of emergency, you want to be able to activate that quickly and in the air if all possible. Lastly, I would forgo the map box, save the space for future growth.

Actually I quite like it! I personally wouldn't delete the map box as others suggest but I would move it slightly down and center so that if you do put a future screen in you can just remove the map box and the new hole in the panel will take care of the rest. I'm not sure how the map box mounts to the sub panel but I would make it not too permanent. I also wouldn't remove the USB ports as others suggest either. I have never been bothered by a charging wire in the cockpit and I would rather have a way to charge a device than worry about one dangling. That being said, I always put the charging device somewhere where the wire can't interfere with the stick/yolk.

Lastly, if this is a slider I can almost guarantee that the radio will not work in that location due to the center rib (it angles down quite a bit). You may need to swap the radio and the A/P.

I would fly behind it! Nice work!

I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable input. You guys validated some of my concerns and brought up new points to think about. I'm excited to get this built!
Allen

For me, I'd either put the EFIS backup, ALT & Avionics master on the left side with the batt master, or group them separately.

Then my center switch group would be lights, then boost pump, then flaps on the right end of the row group or guard at your discretion. You typically hit flaps and boost pump at pretty much the same time in most airplanes so it makes sense to have them close to each other.

I don't understand the need to reach the flaps with my hand still on the throttle. I've got thousands of hours in airplanes with the flap switch on the right and never once thought I was missing out. Plus, if you drop the flap switch down to the same row it looks like it might leave room for a future IFR navigator

As others have said, the autopilot controller is the shallowest thing in that stack, so it should go on top. You might also be able to get your dimmer pots up there somewhere out of the way. Those things are tiny and can go anywhere. No reason they should be taking up valuable real estate right in the middle of everything.

This last one is personal preference for sure, but I would never put USB plugs in the panel. Not only would I find it obnoxious to have a phone cord flopping around, but how much longer are USB plugs even going to be a thing? Once Apple moves exclusively to USB-C or whatever, the rest of the world will follow and now you've got two of these dinosaur power plugs in your panel that might as well be cigarette lighter plugs.

Actually I quite like it! I personally wouldn't delete the map box as others suggest but I would move it slightly down and center so that if you do put a future screen in you can just remove the map box and the new hole in the panel will take care of the rest. I'm not sure how the map box mounts to the sub panel but I would make it not too permanent.

Agreed, the map box is one of the most useful things you can have in the aircraft. It does extend through the sub panel by quite a bit, so that requires a good-sized cutout. A great place for fuel tester, backup hand-held comm, barf bags, OSH Notam, extra fuses, etc. I moved my air vents up to the outboard corners of the panel...a bit hard to route the scat tubes but the vents themselves are easier to reach/adjust.

Van's logo is a very nice touch!! Overall, I like your design's lack of clutter.

Last edited:
Back