What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

666 N-number

g zero

Well Known Member
I choose my tail number 666TA , it amazes me how many superstitious and religious people express there dislike of it . Black cats , broken mirrors , 13 ??? Really ???

Might actually be lucky

Ask Vlad if he's had any problems in 666BK. He probably flys more on a daily basis than anyone on the forum and unless he's not telling of problems, he has one very dependable airplane. :)

Ask Vlad if he's had any problems in 666BK. He probably flys more on a daily basis than anyone on the forum and unless he's not telling of problems, he has one very dependable airplane. :)

Problems? No. Dislikes? Yes. The best (or worst) one was - don't come to my airport till you change your n-number :)

I choose my tail number 666TA , it amazes me how many superstitious and religious people express there dislike of it . Black cats , broken mirrors , 13 ??? Really ???

Hahahahaha. It is your airplane. The others can just KYA. ;)

There is significance to this number.

Some call it the sign of the devil, or sign of the best but in the 1% world of Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, 666 has a more ominous meaning.

As a former OMG investigator, there were 1% members who wore this patch, or even had it tattooed on their bodies. The 6th letter of the alphabet also had the same meaning...

"666"
"FFF"
"Filthy Few Forever"

These were the killers of the club who either had killed for the club and it was typically witnessed by another member or was just a killer.

You're going to have one killer machine!!!

Cheers,

Don

30 years ago I had a telephone number that was 666-xxxx (Louisville, CO - wonder if that prefix is still in use?). I had many people ask me if I was worried about it. Damaged me forever knowing that so many of those superstitious types were out there....

it amazes me how many superstitious and religious people express there dislike of it . Black cats , broken mirrors , 13 ??? Really ???

I considered the triple 6 but because of all the others that gave me grief about it when I was considering my n-number, i went with N66AX.

Last edited:
"This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666." Revelation 13:18. That's where the "superstition" comes from.

Way back when, there was a local lawyer with a T-34, N666. It was totaled due to an engine failure right after takeoff.

As do a lot of other numbers. So I'll repeat Stuart's question. Is there a particular reason you choose that number?

Maybe bcause he liked it, it is his airplane and doesn't have to justify his selecion to anyone but his wife. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Like Ed_ says, it has significant religious connotations (along with others).

I believe there have been a few wars fought based on religious beliefs......

Question is: Do you feel like fighting (relative term) to defend your tail number? It may happen from time to time. Sounds like it has already, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

Personally I don't care, but do raise an eyebrow with morbid curiosity. Wouldn't consider buying it if it was for sale though....
Mark

As do a lot of other numbers. So I'll repeat Stuart's question. Is there a particular reason you choose that number?

It's just a number , sounds good , easy to say , easy to remember , TA are my initials . There is a famous bomber 666 a Delta Airliner 666 and Vlad .
I didn't realize grown adults feared numbers ..... Amazing

I just checked there are 4200 different religions in the world, chances of your tail number offending one of them are pretty good .

Wandering off topic a bit, but at work our call-in sick line was xxx-xxx-5555. I told them they should change it to ...6666. "sick, sick, sick, six."

Reminds me of.....

The time another thread about a controversial N number was posted here. Whether it be 166ER or 666 or whatever, it got people's attention. Most of us that have built or restored aircraft have a specific reason for picking the N number we choose. it is usually either symbolic or personal. While the Bible does specify the number 666, the entire book of Revelations is filled with symbology. While I could care less about your choice or your reason for reserving it, it will draw attention, whether desired, intended or not.

I'm amazed at some people. Many cruise ships I've been on don't have a "deck 13". Don't people realize that if they are on deck 14, they are actually on the 13th deck? Why is that different?

Last edited:

A friend of mine's hobby is mining (coal) in PA . Miners have brass numer tags to tag in and out of the mine , there is no "13" . He is building an Acro Sport ( BiPlane Forum ) on his tail is a painted brass tag "13".
I guess the thing that surprises people are very blatant about there dislike of my number , I would never tell someone how I dislike their paint scheme , color or panel or how ugly their kid is .
I'd like to change my house number to 666 , it might keep people wanting to share their beliefs from knocking on my door .

N-number

A friend of mine's hobby is mining (coal) in PA . Miners have brass numer tags to tag in and out of the mine , there is no "13" . He is building an Acro Sport ( BiPlane Forum ) on his tail is a painted brass tag "13".
I guess the thing that surprises people are very blatant about there dislike of my number , I would never tell someone how I dislike their paint scheme , color or panel or how ugly their kid is .
I'd like to change my house number to 666 , it might keep people wanting to share their beliefs from knocking on my door .

I like the house number idea. Might work better than "No Soliciting".
You could fly inverted all the time!:D
Seriously understand though. I spent many years around ladders. Always laughed when techs made an effort to walk around. I owned a black cat. Never gave it a second thought.

30 years ago I had a telephone number that was 666-xxxx (Louisville, CO - wonder if that prefix is still in use?). I had many people ask me if I was worried about it. Damaged me forever knowing that so many of those superstitious types were out there....

Similarly, for many years my office extension was 333. I claimed to be "half the devil" :D

Specifically to tail number, a good friend in Asheville put 666AT on his beautiful 8. Flew it a few years and then sold it without any fanfare. I have his hangar spot now so it was good for me. :)

This was my street address in California. It didn't bother me or my wife, but when we were selling the house, the new owners petitioned the city to change the address. The city was actually surprised that numbers 'like that still existed'.

Our new address has a repeating 2 (222). As mentioned previously, that too will likely offend one of the 4,200 religions out there.

I think that I will go flying next Friday, May 13th. :)

Quite fitting

The number 7 in the Bible represents completeness or perfection. Six represents incompleteness. As our homebuilts are never really finished, 666 may be the most fitting N number. Jpowell13

Last edited:
My high school locker number was 666 for four years ... at a catholic HS, no less... and I got into Stanford, so.. not so evil ;-)

There was (is) a T-34 Mentor at KPAO with a triple-six tail number. Beautiful plane; loved to see it in the pattern (fantastic insignia blue paint job).

666 works for me!

Back