What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I need fiberglass help please...

aarvig

Well Known Member
I need to countersink my empennage fiberglass at the fiberglass "flange" so that they will sit flush to the dimpled skin. The question I have is this: Since my countersinking tool is too wide to fit level on the fiberglass flange what method of countersinking is recommended to get the fiberglass flanges countersunk? Thanks!

Take an abrasive bit for your dremel, knock the angle down to 100 degrees by running it against your bench grinder.

1239896035_YBGA9-M.jpg

Very easy to control and it won't dull your good countersinking bits.

No-Flute

An inexpensive zero or no-flute countersink bit is just the ticket. It countersinks fiberglass cleanly and efficiently. I often use it in a cordless drill to generate countersinks in sheet metal to accept NAS1097 reduced head rivets. The bit also works its countersinking magic very well on Plexiglas and does so without fear of cracking the 'glass that a piloted bit can sometimes do. The bit also serves very well as an excellent deburring tool. For fiberglass and Plexiglas countersinking as well as many deburring operations, the no-flute bit it is my preferred choice of tool.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47568&highlight=flute+countersinking

I have pretty much countersink everything by hand with one of these and a swivel handle.

767.jpg

An alternative is to just remove the cage from your current countersink tool. That's easy to do.

Back