What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage floor toolbox

mcencula

Well Known Member
In our current episode (number 5287) of "Unending Mods" (aka..."How Not To Finish an Airplane in a Timely Manner"), we find the star of the show has completed a toolbox for the floor of the baggage compartment. Let's tune in:

OK, so I decided to make a small toolbox to fit between a couple of the baggage floor ribs. It's not in a super accessible location, so the stuff that goes in here is only for occasional use. Screwdriver, pliers, crescent wrench, etc. Two Dzus fasteners hold it tightly closed so nothing falls out when inverted. Weight is about 1/2 lb not including anything that goes in it.

Open:
20111016-04-tn.jpg

Closed:
20111016-05-tn.jpg

The under side:
20111016-06-tn.jpg

Question for the group: if I were to market these, would there be any interest? (I know a couple of the guys that have sites advertised on VAF)

I like it. I'd probably pay around $50 plus material costs, it is a simple box, no?

you could probably really get more interest if you sourced a complete or good enough tool kit to fit in it as well. Look at the motorcycle tool kits like cruz tools to see how they are marketing them

Mike,

Nice looking and a great idea given the somewhat limited baggage space in the RVs! I suggest a dab or two of RTV or similar in the corners to preclude losing small bits like bolts, nuts, zip ties, etc. that might get away through those holes.

cheers,
greg

Mike,

I like it, but I doubt this project will be worth your time given the target audience. Most builders will have most parts on hand to make this box and it shouldn't take long to replicate this mod.

Or will steal the idea to fit their particular model. It would have to be modified to work in my -10, for instance. I think I'll pass, though, I have enough openings in my baggage floor (step bolt access, ground power, O2 fill).

armchair quarterback sez......

....and to improve access, make a tray that fits inside, so you can lift all the **** out in one easy-to-transport unit, THEN dig thru to find the cotter pin you need! :)
Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe the tray precludes building a box at all?..as long as its a snug fit, and the ribs hold it in place?

just my $.02

Back