What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle Nut Installation Tool

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
If you have tried to find a deep enough socket to tighten the axle nut on one of our planes, forget it; nobody makes one, until now. Plans for the 'RV Axle Nut Installation Tool' will soon be available. If my kit goes sideways, maybe I can hire out as a 'master' tool and die maker!

Axle Nut.jpg

Axle Nut Wrench.jpg

Socket

Here is what I used.

Sunex 240XD 1/2" Drive 1-1/4" Extra Deep Impact Socket

$22.99 on Amazon

Maybe I missing something, from the Beringer manual:

Torque axle nut to contact by hands, do not force. (WARNING)

Maybe I missing something, from the Beringer manual:

Torque axle nut to contact by hands, do not force. (WARNING)

That's what I was thinking. Don't know what is inside a berringer wheel, but I would NEVER tighten an axle nut with tapered roller bearings with anything but my fingers. I wouldn't thing that even a sealed bearing would be tightened, beyond snug, around the inner race in most circumstances with a removable wheel, but admittadly have limited experience with that outside of automotive, which are torqued, but a very different design.

Larry

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Don't know what is inside a berringer wheel, but I would NEVER tighten an axle nut with tapered roller bearings with anything but my fingers. Even a sealed bearing wouldn't be torqued in most circumstances.

Larry
The Beringer does use roller bearings, but I don't recall them having a center spacer to avoid side loading them like the nose wheel does.

I just spoke to Beringer tech. The axle nut is indeed supposed to be torqued to 220 in-lbs. The bearings are captured inside the hub by snap rings, so they don't know the nut is torqued. The torque is specified simply as a safety measure to assure there is enough 'snugness' to get the cotter pin inserted through the spindle and to provide a standard torque spec for all builders. Finger tight is fine as long as the cotter pin can be inserted.

Too bad, because I was hoping to recoup some of my build costs by selling ANUS (axle nut universal socket) wrenches. :D

Axle Nut Wrench.jpg

Back