What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EchoUAT does not want to be friends with my Garmin GPS 175

Saguaro

I'm New Here
Hi all, just getting through an entire IFR panel retrofit in our RV9A and stuck on the very final part... getting ADS-B out going. Particularly, on the EchoUAT app. It's not showing any position or altitude data from my GPS 175 which is the intended position source.

Here's my setup:

- EchoUAT is mounted in fuselage next to pitch AP servo.
- Shielded AWG #22 wire between GPS 175 (Pin 7, RS-232 TX #3) to EchoUAT (Pin 6, COM2 RX). This run is about 6ft long along the pilot side.
- GPS 175 TX3 is set to transmit ADS-B+ Format 1
- EchoUAT COM2 rate is set to 9600
- EchoUAT COM2 format is set to ADS-B+
- EchoUAT and GPS share a common power ground

Troubleshooting I've done:
- EchoUAT is on
- EchoUAT LED is flashing green
- GPS 175 has a fix and knows where its at. Is also transmitting perfectly to my G3X.
- The ADS-B+ signal from the GPS is making it to pin 6 of the molex connector that goes into the EchoUAT. There is a voltage on that pin that is similar to when I measured it at my G3X when outputting the ADS-B+ format to it.
- I've tried every baud rate for COM2 on the EchoUAT app
- I tried rewiring pin 6 on the EchoUAT to go to my G3X and have the G3X output NMEA normal format (tried 4800 and 9600). I setup the EchoUAT COM2 settings accordingly.
- EchoUAT is connected to the app and isn't a complete brick. With my GTX327 hardwired to it, I could change the squaw codes and see the change on the app.

Not gonna lie here guys, I've run into a complete wall and I don't see many other options. I also talked to Uavionix for about an hour with no result. Before I quit and buy a GDL-82 or TT-22, anyone have some sacred tip? Could the app be wrong and the Echo actually is processing that GPS data? Do I need to be in the air for the GPS data to show up on the app?

Last edited:
Is uAvionix willing to send you another unit to test? Or is there someone at your airport with one?

Yeah I'll call them about it tomorrow, but I wanna have all my ducks in a row before I come crying to them that it's not working.

The issue was a defective Echo. Got a new one from uavionix and it worked.

For whoever it may concern in the future, the Echos do work with the Garmin GPS 175 and I'm guessing the 355 and 375.

The issue was a defective Echo. Got a new one from uavionix and it worked.

For whoever it may concern in the future, the Echos do work with the Garmin GPS 175 and I'm guessing the 355 and 375.

I have a question, do you know if your echo can send traffic and wx adsb data to the 175? I see on their site that it does not list garmin.

Traffic to Garmin --- I looked at this quite a bit on the 430 series. Garmin has a proprietary protocol for traffic and I can't find it published anywhere. So a Garmin Transponder can send traffic to a Garmin GPS, via the proprietary protocol. But everyone else is locked out.

Back