What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Read only on second Radio

mechmike

I have one Icom A200. When I go to complex airspace I use a second handheld radio and one earbud in under my headset in order to monitor a second frequency or get the ATIS.

Question:

Without putting in a standard audio panel as well as a second radio, why not just put a second radio in and have its audio output wired via a simple switch to the Aux input of my primary A200 or to the Aux input for my Flightcom 403 intercom?
(I have a spare A200 and tray)

That should allow me to monitor on both, transmit only on the primary and easily stop listening to the secondary without actually turning the second radio off.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Attachments

• Icom A200 Wiring.pdf
    969 KB · Views: 148
  • 403mcManual.pdf
    90.5 KB · Views: 148
The ideas you mentioned should work okay. You don’t even need a switch, just turn down the #2 volume control if you don’t want to hear it.
You may want to keep cables, adaptors, etc handy so if #1 dies, you can re-configure #2 to transmit.

I had 2 com radios in my RV-6 with only a switch that switched the PTT and mic audio for over 25 years. Never a problem.

I have two Skyview radios in my RV with a switch for transmission. I only wanted it for a backup if my first one gives out in flight. Dynon does not encourage this set up and I think I know why. I get a lot of what I call feed back in my headset if the volume is up on both. I also have trouble transmitting ( noise might only be in my headset and not carried out in the transmission).If the not in use radio is turned down I hear great on the radio I’m using and it transmit’s well. Again my purpose is a back up and it’s doing that. Wish I could leave it off and not get all the messages saying it’s offline, then I could just turn it on if number one goes out. Just my experience with what I have. Yours probably will be ok.

1) Sell the A200 and get an A210 with standby Freq monitoring. There are other brands (Garmin coms to mind) and models that do this. They are not too expensive ($1200 to $1400).

2) You want to mix audio? Very easy to make an audio mixer and people sell them as kits and pre made for little money. Using the Aux input of one radio is OK as well. As said above use Vol control to control what you want to hear. You could add toggle switch to kill the audio but turning volume down works well.

3) Also if you have two radios it would be nice to use it to transmit (requiring a second antenna). If you got the second radio for monitoring but also transmitting you can toggle switch, double poll single throw, the PTT and mic to either radio 1 or 2.

Sounds like it will work just fine. Seemed too easy.
Some other good thoughts here too.

Yes I would use a second antenna so transmitting on the primary doesn't fry the read only secondary.

Thank you

Mike

Sounds like it will work just fine. Seemed too easy.
Some other good thoughts here too.
Yes I would use a second antenna so transmitting on the primary doesn't fry the read only secondary.
Thank you
Mike

DEFINITELY!

Intercom option

Mike

I think I would wire it into the intercom aux input. That way if com 1 fails you haven’t knocked out com 2.
You could then setup a switch arrangement for the mic or simply have a separate standby mic jack and ptt

Regards

Peter

Like gmcjetpilot says : an Icom A210 will plug right into the existing A200 tray and give you that second frequency monitor. I use mine like that all the time. There's an indicator on the faceplate that tells you which freq is Rx. Standby or active. Then place the handheld to a reachable place in the baggage section just as a back up com where it belongs!

Last edited:
It all depends…

I have a strong preference for a second radio for atis, over one radio with a monitor function (I have both in my plane). Around here the approach frequency is usually very busy; getting atis off the ‘monitor’ takes about 15 minutes, as you get tiny pieces between transmissions on the active. OTOH the brain is very good at listening to atis info on #2, while simultaneously listening for your N number on #1 (but otherwise ignoring it).

Back