What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comfortable light weight camping mattress

Pilotjkl

Friend
Prepping for the week of camping at Oshkosh, looking for advice on light weight durable mattress, (I’m 6’4”)
Thanks
John

A single or twin inflatable s hard to beat. Top it off with lung power to make it tight. Like a cheap sleep number bed ….. if tight.

Prepping for the week of camping at Oshkosh, looking for advice on light weight durable mattress, (I’m 6’4”)
Thanks
John

Perfectly timed post. I’ve been scouring REI and Amazon looking at lightweight air or foam for under $100.

I have several camping pads. My thermarest basecamp pads are the heaviest and most comfortable. For $129, they have the large model that is 30" x 77".

I also have one of the Cabela's Instinct pads that run $99, and are a quality product and sleep well.

I also have a couple of cheapies off of Amazon which are similar to the inflatable pad from Cabelas. The comfort and quality are very similar to the Cabela's instinct pad for about 40% of the price.

Hard to beat an air mattress available at Walmart and target for around $30. Make it as hard or soft as you like.

For airplane travel as the other poster said, thermarest is hard to beat. There's never enough space in a plane, so we shrunk everything to make it much easier. The thermarest NeoAir Venture was perfect for us for travel. They're about the size of a gatorade bottle all packed up. If you have tons of space, the average everyday air bed is fine, but I've never seen anyone say they have too much space or capacity.

Two things were critical for me, at Osh... Get a tent which allows you to stand up. Get a cot which allows you to sleep at least six inches off the ground. Those two things may seem extravagant, but they will greatly improve the quality of sleep and your camping experience, and thus your experience at the show.

Hard to beat an air mattress available at Walmart and target for around $30. Make it as hard or soft as you like.

Exactly. Unless I'm backpacking, it's the low-dollar vinyl twin mattress. Inflate to comfort. If I have company - not backpacking - it's the double vinyl. Repairable with duct or Gorilla tape. Worst case, toss it and get another. When I was 20, I could sleep on the foam or thin pads. No way now days. Don't forget the blower/inflator.

Last edited:
Shipping services

Guys,

Don't forget about this service that is available.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/guest-services/shipping-services

We shipped our tent, clothes, towels, queen double high air mattress, and whatever other stuff we could fit in the box straight to the Airventure site. Keeps the plane light and the Queen that is staying with me happy and comfortable while we are there. We take the bare minimums in the plane in case we get stuck and have to overnight somewhere. Prepare your outgoing shipping label before you leave home and tape it to the box, and it will arrive home a few days after you. We used those black plastic boxes with the yellow lids you see at Lowes & Home Depot.

Attachments

• B4907469-799F-491A-B131-B349B4203AE8.jpeg
    B4907469-799F-491A-B131-B349B4203AE8.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Guys,

Don't forget about this service that is available.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/guest-services/shipping-services

We shipped our tent, clothes, towels, queen double high air mattress, and whatever other stuff we could fit in the box straight to the Airventure site. Keeps the plane light and the Queen that is staying with me happy and comfortable while we are there. We take the bare minimums in the plane in case we get stuck and have to overnight somewhere. Prepare your outgoing shipping label before you leave home and tape it to the box, and it will arrive home a few days after you. We used those black plastic boxes with the yellow lids you see at Lowes & Home Depot.
Have used the service before. Nice alternative. Just think about packing a folding luggage dolly in your box, or account for some other means to haul your things aound.

For airplane travel as the other poster said, thermarest is hard to beat. There's never enough space in a plane, so we shrunk everything to make it much easier. The thermarest NeoAir Venture was perfect for us for travel. They're about the size of a gatorade bottle all packed up. If you have tons of space, the average everyday air bed is fine, but I've never seen anyone say they have too much space or capacity.

I've had/been using the same Thermarest for the last 25 years at least, used to go camping with the kids a bunch, they're all grown now so but the same ones still have worked perfect at osh for the past 14 years, obviously a great quality product in my experience.

Another Thermarest fan. Thermarest makes a bunch of different inflatable pads. Check out the one designed for the military. It is a little heavier and more durable and runs around $60 new off ebay. Lots of good deals on used camping equipment on ebay.

Also, like any inflatable pad they can get a leak. Duck tape works as a temporary repair but Shoe Goo is an excellent permanent patch.

Thanks for the link

I just bought this one yesterday for Oshkosh. Prime day deal still on today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SG368QJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Just ordered one, can't beat the price and it is light weight, hopefully this will be better than my current air mattress which is a little too short and not wide enough. I tried the lightweight cots and thermarest pads which were superb designs and lightweight but they were all a bit short and narrow for me.
Figs

I have several camping pads. My thermarest basecamp pads are the heaviest and most comfortable. For $129, they have the large model that is 30" x 77".

I also have one of the Cabela's Instinct pads that run $99, and are a quality product and sleep well.

I also have a couple of cheapies off of Amazon which are similar to the inflatable pad from Cabelas. The comfort and quality are very similar to the Cabela's instinct pad for about 40% of the price.

I have the one from Cabela’s but it’s bulky and heavy and has developed a small leak

Two things were critical for me, at Osh... Get a tent which allows you to stand up. Get a cot which allows you to sleep at least six inches off the ground. Those two things may seem extravagant, but they will greatly improve the quality of sleep and your camping experience, and thus your experience at the show.

At 6’4 the light weight cots I’ve looked at are too small for me

Back