What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't drop that BUCKING bar!

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
I seem to remember a post not too long ago asking for advice on how to smooth out a dent in a leading edge that was the result of dropping their bucking bar while riveting the leading edge skin to the LE ribs. While assembling the outboard leading edge skin and ribs today, that came to mind while handling a nice heavy tungsten bar inside the leading edge and having it slip in my hand a little and almost dropping it.

I cut some corrugated cardboard pieces to fit between the ribs to cover the leading edge on the inside and about 6 inches high on each of the top and bottom of the skin. Dropping the bar would likely not put a dent in the leading edge - I didn't do a test. Pretty simple and a good safety net.

Looking down into the leading edge at a resting tungsten bar. The cardboard is cut to expose the rib edges so they can be bucked without removing the cardboard.

Bucking bar

If you stand the leading edge assembly on end its easier to rivet , and no chance of damage if you drop the bar .

If you ware a latex type glove when holding a bucking bar it is a lot less likely to get dropped. It is hard to believe how easy it makes it.

Did you Alodine those LE Ribs?

Bruce

Bruce, it is a PPG industrial coating - Spectracron (QAP701 and QAP702), a two part etching primer. It is equivalent to the Sherwin Williams primer that is used on the QB kits by the Philippines assembly subcontractor.

Last edited:
Bucking Bar cover

I cut a little piece of bicycle inner tube and put it over the bucking bar to help both hold on to it and a little cushion just in case it falls.

I have a bundle of sheets and blankets that I put under wherever I am riveting. Except when I forget to put them there and drop my bucking bar anyway.

Back